1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Because rose gold on black band-aid is so wearable?

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

That new Explorer 1 is the business. Love the (subtle) changes. Its the watch to have IMO.

3. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

As Basel comes around, I will post here my biggest secret to watch collecting: avoid recency bias. These things are made to last forever. There's no reason that the newer model is necessarily better than the older model. In the long run, it will all even out. If you want to find bargains, all you have to do is be patient or go back to older pieces. That being said, I like the new Daytona ;)

4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Uniqueness, modernity, comfort, restraint and classical-referencing beauty are not often found in the same place.

As for wearability, guess that depends on how much you're influenced by tradition.

5. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

But, but, bu, b, ... Steve! Can't you see?! Basel is like Christmas morning a non-denoninational watch-lovers holiday, man! :D

Get in the spirit!

(I kid.)

Also, @tigerpac, regarding that Planet Ocean, at first glance it looks like a nice, coherent update. Would like to see some more (real life) pics, and also view the new specifications.

I do consider myself an Omega fan.

But with that particular model, I'd say it all comes down to how one really feels about the color orange. It can be polarizing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  6. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

Wish they offered a 36mm Explorer (again) with no applied indices. The 36mm Black Bay is my pick of the bunch.

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

36mm and 39mm Explorers are both good. How about somewhere in the middle and offer a 38mm version? I prefer it with applied indices, though. I like the all lume 2016 Baselworld version. Wish I could afford it now, I'd be all over it if I could.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Agreed! Although I often wear a 40 mm Rolex, I found the 39mm Explorer seems a tad large for its design, and I wish it were just a little smaller perhaps as you suggested, 38mm. I also prefer the applied indices and I like the all lum look of the 2016 model.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

That "Newness bug" has a strong bite! I remember when the 16520 was being replaced by the 116520 and lots of people dumped their prior model Daytonas to get the newest one. Granted, the newest one had a fantastic movement, longer power reserve, and a better bracelet...but within just a few years the many 16520s had doubled or tripled in value were selling for more than their replacement.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

That Tudor Black Bay Black really has my attention. I had thought I might get an Omega diving watch next, but that Tudor [​IMG]

11. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

That white dial Daytona is so, so good.....

12. forex

forex Senior member

I don't understand why Rolex released a new version of Explorer I. I have it and like it, it could be my one watch (possibly) and I keep staring at the new version but not noticing significant changes, most releases are similar (read DJ41, how is it different from DJII? Different clasp and thinner case?).
    Daytona C is obviously a hit and I've always disliked Daytonas but this one is so good that I could see myself getting one. That ceramic bezel with white dial is so awesome it is like poor mans Platona.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yes indeed, all dial watches like the 39mm Explorer do wear large, so I think slightly smaller at 38mm would do a world of good. It's surprising how much of a difference just 1mm can make, but it can. Apart from the size (I'd still get the new 39mm version if I could, though, but I would prefer it at 38mm), the new Explorer looks just about perfect to me in every other way.

Thanks for the video links, @RFX45.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  15. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Curious to see it in person. Rubber in a bezel gets a presumption of being a bad idea in my book but we'll see.

In regards to orange, I want an all-orange bezel... it was an iconic look for the Planet Ocean!