• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

I really can't decide how I feel about Nomos. Been considering adding one of the 35mm Orions to my box. I like the simplicity and utility of the design. But then a voice in my head tells me they're nothing special. Can someone give me a reason to get excited about Nomos?

If you need a reason after handling one in person, it's not a watch for you. Pretty simple really.

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Clean design, build quality, in-house manufacture, movement finishing, clear design ethos, then you get in to aesthetic preferences.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We will need video proof. 
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

what's happening tomorrow?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really can't decide how I feel about Nomos....voice in my head tells me they're nothing special. Can someone give me a reason to get excited about Nomos?
There is already something in your head telling you its not for you. So why ask to be talked into getting excited about it? I don't think I've ever bought something that I was talked into buying (be it by a friend or a sales person), that truly satisfied me, and did not result in some degree of "Buyers remorse." Wait for something you truly love.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, it's been a while since I looked at Nomos. I took a look at one of the worldtimers, before the blue-dial version came out. It was very clear to me from that piece that these were watchmakers who prided function over form, to whatever degree.

But, you know, there's something about them. In a world of watches that either have a full pedigree and a price to match, or are eagerly trying to appear as something more than they are, Nomos have a really acute sense of personal identity. How else could they hope to occupy that difficult mid-market terrain? While that part of me is saying these are a bit "simple," another part of me is saying "well that's the point. Can YOU see any real, major design flaw?"

For comparison, I never "fell in love" with my Seiko Shogun, but I am very happy I purchased it. It's comfortable, decently finished, durable and fills a need in my wrist wardrobe. I actually wear it much more often than I had anticipated. I am thinking one of these Bauhaus examples from Nomos might fill a similar need. Call it the "dress beater," if such a term isn't already an oxymoron. But heck, I don't wear a suit often and they are attractive watches.

Just, hm, nothing special...

I suppose it's time to go handle a few more and see.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+100 - you're going to most likely regret this purchase, sorry. Nomos is a great brand, but not every great watch is for everybody. Your money would better be served getting something YOU want.

That being said there's clearly nothing wrong with asking the pros here for more information or personal experiences about brand "X" if that's what your intention was.

There is already something in your head telling you its not for you.  So why ask to be talked into getting excited about it?  I don't think I've ever bought something that I was talked into buying (be it by a friend or a sales person), that truly satisfied me, and did not result in some degree of "Buyers remorse."   Wait for something you truly love.  

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Just, hm, nothing special...
This idea of special is extremely personal. And you keep repeating it. You have your answer.

I think the vast majority of watches shown in this thread, including mine, aren't really "special" (at least universally speaking), but they are to their owners.

firenze_rob

Reaction score

The tricky thing is that while I like nice watches, I am frequently in business situations where the watch needs to "fly under the radar".  So in a round about way I have found the Aquanaut to check a bunch of those boxes.  

Anyhow, I still have a few more weeks to figure it out.  All in all, a good dilemma to have....

Would be interested in what your rationale is for flying under the radar. I started my career on buy-side fund management and now have a small VC operation, 99% of people that I deal with in business don't notice.

firenze_rob

Reaction score
Hodinkee has a review of the Zenith A3817 up today. I wonder (hope) if this will push up the value of my 2009 issued 1969 new vintage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads