1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

If you need a reason after handling one in person, it's not a watch for you. Pretty simple really.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Distinguished Member

Perhaps I should rephrase.

What are the primary forces behind an attraction to Nomos watches?

3. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Clean design, build quality, in-house manufacture, movement finishing, clear design ethos, then you get in to aesthetic preferences.

4. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

what's happening tomorrow?

5. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

There is already something in your head telling you its not for you. So why ask to be talked into getting excited about it? I don't think I've ever bought something that I was talked into buying (be it by a friend or a sales person), that truly satisfied me, and did not result in some degree of "Buyers remorse." Wait for something you truly love.

7. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Distinguished Member

To be honest, it's been a while since I looked at Nomos. I took a look at one of the worldtimers, before the blue-dial version came out. It was very clear to me from that piece that these were watchmakers who prided function over form, to whatever degree.

But, you know, there's something about them. In a world of watches that either have a full pedigree and a price to match, or are eagerly trying to appear as something more than they are, Nomos have a really acute sense of personal identity. How else could they hope to occupy that difficult mid-market terrain? While that part of me is saying these are a bit "simple," another part of me is saying "well that's the point. Can YOU see any real, major design flaw?"

For comparison, I never "fell in love" with my Seiko Shogun, but I am very happy I purchased it. It's comfortable, decently finished, durable and fills a need in my wrist wardrobe. I actually wear it much more often than I had anticipated. I am thinking one of these Bauhaus examples from Nomos might fill a similar need. Call it the "dress beater," if such a term isn't already an oxymoron. But heck, I don't wear a suit often and they are attractive watches.

Just, hm, nothing special...

I suppose it's time to go handle a few more and see.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

8. haTTer

haTTer Senior Member

Wearing my Fiddy today

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

9. apropos

apropos Distinguished Member

The function is the form here, if that makes any sense. It's like trying to measure oranges in terms of apples? Good luck, whatever your decision.

10. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Pi...

AWell, they work!

[​IMG]

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

+100 - you're going to most likely regret this purchase, sorry. Nomos is a great brand, but not every great watch is for everybody. Your money would better be served getting something YOU want.

That being said there's clearly nothing wrong with asking the pros here for more information or personal experiences about brand "X" if that's what your intention was.

12. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

@no frills - LAWDY

13. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

This idea of special is extremely personal. And you keep repeating it. You have your answer.

I think the vast majority of watches shown in this thread, including mine, aren't really "special" (at least universally speaking), but they are to their owners.

14. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior Member

Would be interested in what your rationale is for flying under the radar. I started my career on buy-side fund management and now have a small VC operation, 99% of people that I deal with in business don't notice.

15. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior Member

Hodinkee has a review of the Zenith A3817 up today. I wonder (hope) if this will push up the value of my 2009 issued 1969 new vintage.

[​IMG]