1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

OK. Omega has officially "jumped the shark".

I don't think I want a Speedy any longer.

1 person likes this.
  2. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

It's not a bad looking watch. But the lume on the subdials is silly.

I wouldn't say Omega has jumped the shark. They already make a lot of ugly watches like the speedmaster white side of the moon.

In the end there are only so many permutations of either 1) a 38-42mm non-date chronograph with two registers and 2) a time only three hander to satisfy the WIS of this forum.

3. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I'm more shocked that Omega actually posted msrp. I haven't seen too many higher end watch websites post actual msrp with the exception of maybe Cartier and TAG.

1 person likes this.
  4. firenze_rob

Could you post a pic? I think it would depend on where it is on the case. Polishing for Richemont varies. In my experience, IWC was the cheapest (~$150), and JLC was on the higher end of the spectrum (~500). But how much of what the person at the boutique is telling me is bs, who knows?

5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

It has nothing to do with the aesthetics of the watch. It's not bad looking. It's the fact that it's another "limited edition" named after and inspired by a freaking hashtag. I mean...c'mon. Doesn't Omega have anything better to do?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. mimo

mimo Senior member

I like the silly lume on the subdials. I find this watch a lot less silly than the Taupe Side of the Moon and the 23.5th anniversary of the moon landing editions. Perhaps what I like least about it is the whole "limited edition" schtick in general: it's a model variant. It comes on a strap with fat markers and luminous subdials. Some will like it and some won't. But I find all the waffle around it condescending.

In itself I like it and I'd enjoy one. But I do wish they'd shut up and just add these things to the range instead of spouting this stream of fake-scarcity drivel.

Edit: Tifo beat me to the point.

1 person likes this.
  7. firenze_rob

^^ I agree with you. It's not a bad looking watch. Would I like one? As a hoarder, yes of course.

That being said, seeing this does renew my interest in getting a 35th anniversary apollo 11 limited edition.

Seinfeld said it best when talking about car names. "Limited? Yeah, Limited. Limited to the number they can sell."

1 person likes this.
  8. Deo Veritas

Deo Veritas Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Grail watch. How many love the Reverso?

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^ 4:21 AM?

Would probably take some getting used to, to quickly read it at a glance - but I think I like the dial layout, even though I normally prefer their standard hour/minutes only designs.

As for the recent dial size discussion, I had a 44mm that I sold off, have a 40 and a 38mm and one of the only watches I'd seriously consider adding would be a 36mm like this:

[​IMG]

- or like Cleav's beautiful example above.

@double00, if you get a modern steel Rolex I think you could definitely wear it as a beater - I did with my sub for 25 years and while I did crack the crystal once, it's been fine (starting out with a model with a brushed case and bracelet might help here, unless you don't mind adding your own patina to whatever polished parts).

6 people like this.
  10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Who says a sports watch can't be elegant as well.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

It depends on how deep they are. If they are really deep, they may not fully come out. You don't want someone overpolishing a watch and then distorting its lines.

12. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

Flip the dial over and problem solved!

I really loved the reverso when I tried it on at a dealer, but felt it was a little too formal for my current daily attire/personal aesthetic(Yes I know its technically a sport's watch).

And agreed with @mimo in regards to Speedmasters. This is a fun, silly nod to some of their biggest fans. I'd much rather this than the other ridiculous variations they release to much fanfair. I actually attempted to get myself onto the list but slept in a little too late after the national championship game last night. Early birds(flippers) get the worm.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Good looking watch, but a really stupid name.
    Seriously, I thought the name was a joke when I first saw it.

And the nice thing is, if its a success and they all sell out, in six months they can announce the Speedy Thursday, or the Speedy July!

14. firenze_rob

Not mine. But I do want one.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Deo Veritas

It's just on the reference time side. Flip it back to show local and it's easy to read.

It is a beauty! One thing that helps break the formality is if you have a darker strap or in a different material. Completely changes the look.

16. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Name is ridiculous think off all the recent speedy LE I only want the blue one (though not at a 2k bark up to regular ones).

17. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Did you ever find It too thick?

1 person likes this.
  18. Deo Veritas

@clee1982
    Not at all actually.

[​IMG]

19. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

20. clee1982