1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. crdb

crdb Senior member

Collectors of the thread, what would be your advice on buying a 50s-60s GS Hi-Beat for relatively frequent wear? I know, very open ended question, but I need some direction to dig down.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Not bad at all, I like it a lot. As a matter of fact, if I ever buy a Speedy, which I probably wont, it would only be on a strap, and also probably a Panda, but that part is neither here nor there. The Speedy bracelet does not appeal to me at all. :/

2 people like this.
  3. mimo

mimo Senior member

This is going to make the Trump regime look like a national unity coalition...bring on the polarisation!

Quote:

I have a guilty lust for the Ananta Spring Drive Moonphase. That is all.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    2 people like this.
  4. crdb

crdb Senior member

Then I should specify: technical advice, what state of repair, whether the spring requires special attention since it's so strong, how much to expect in maintenance bills, reliability issues to watch out for etc. and avoid any discussions as to the merits of the design per se :p

It's a piece of horological history I've been wanting to own for a while. I don't (yet) service my own watches, which could bring the price up.

1 person likes this.
  5. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

That's actually a nice looking reference. Not sure I've seen that before. One thing that would bug me though is the date on the dial. Apart from that, which probably isn't that noticeable generally, it looks nice.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

What's not to love here? This Duoface model is fantastic for those of us who travel. A less dressy strap can make this watch a great companion for casual outfits.

1 person likes this.
  7. Elder-Statesman

Elder-Statesman New Member

I just have to say that I love it.

8. robw

robw Senior member

Definitely a keeper. Here is mine. I bought it about 15 years ago. Excuse the crappy iPhone pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

It is a decent way to generate hype and marketing, though base on the comments I see on hoodkine so far it just has been all allocated where you don't need deposit and seems no penality. So for all I know I could see this in Jomashop then Chrono24 in no time...

Personally like the blue CK limited speedy better

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. AndyGarton

AndyGarton Member

25 people like this.
  11. crdb

crdb Senior member

Now THAT is how you do a first post.

I don't even know what to say - most of these watches are on my favourite list - but I would at least say thank you for the close ups especially on the red GS GMT which must be quite something in real life.

Beautiful work (and I recommend clicking through on his Google Photos link if you have not).

1 person likes this.
  12. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

You're the first person I've seen who owns a Lambda. Lovely watch, I never thought Nomos would ever put out something like that in that price range. Great collection overall.

3 people like this.
  13. Winot

Winot Senior member

It is lovely and I was briefly tempted but it is pretty expensive - I bought a mint Lange Saxonia Thin for the same price.

14. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I think that's the issue. I've seen and handled it, and as much as I love Nomos, I don't think it would be what I picked at that price point. However, they can be easily found on Chrono24 from 10-13K depending on the version. I think it becomes a real consideration at 10K.

15. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Damn.

Welcome to "The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)".

edit: if I may ask few questions...is your Orion 35mm or 38? Would you mind sharing the make/model of the larger watch box? And how much wrist time does the plain ole Sub get?

16. robw

robw Senior member

That is quite a collection. Love the JLC Duometre.

17. AndyGarton

AndyGarton Member

It's the 38mm Orion (I have a seven and a third inch wrist which is quite flat on top).

The brown 15 watch box if that's the one you mean (?) is a cheapie from Amazon a couple of year ago - I can't find it on their site now I'm afraid.

The Sub gets plenty of wrist time as the closest to a "beater" that I have. It's a watch I've never truly fallen in love with, and I'm a little subconscious of the connotations when wearing it, but somehow I end up wearing it quite a lot! I'm currently battling with thoughts of consolidating my collection and initially put the Sub on the to-go list, before quickly realising I would miss it too much.

18. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

@AndyGarton - Neat collection. Which pieces do yourself wearing the most? Did you buy the watch box before or after you amassed all those pieces. I bought my 12 watch box at with 6 pieces and always felt compelled to fill it up.

In other news.

The world has gone mad.

If anyone here is waiting on this auction. I'll sell you mine 200 less for whatever this closes at. If anything, if you buy mine, it will go toward funding an Aquanaut to commemorate the birth of my second child.

19. AndyGarton

AndyGarton Member

I was down to those two watches as well - in the end I found the Lambda more appealing design wise, and I got it for a very good price (not far off half the cost of a new Saxonia Thin, much easier to get discounts on Nomos than ALS!).

1 person likes this.
  20. AndyGarton

AndyGarton Member

I've attached some notes I wrote on my collection below. The watch box is an interesting one - I own a few boxes, for 3, 6, 10 and 15 watches, all bought at various times to try and control my buying habits, all of which were failed attempts! I am now at a point however where I'm thinking seriously about consolidation (because I occasionally feel guilty about those not getting much wrist time), even though I do love all the watches I currently own. My latest thought is to sell two Nomos and two GS, leaving eleven pieces (a full 10 watch box and one on my wrist!).

Jaeger-LeCoultre Duomètre Quantième Lunaire (ref 6042421, 40.5mm) - the "haute horologerie" jewel in the crown and a watch I hope never to sell. Incredible design and build quality, and technically very clever too (effectively two movements, one for pure timekeeping, one to power the complications/hands).

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak (ref 15400, 41mm) - probably my favourite watch (it was always my "grail") and the one I wear most often. It's the blue dial version which was very hard to find as it's sold in AP boutiques only.

Rolex Submariner (ref 114060, 40mm) - basically my "beater watch". Obviously iconic (perhaps too iconic, I sometimes feel a bit embarrassed wearing it with the connotations it has!), but also very strong and reliable. I much prefer the no date to the "cyclops" date version.

Rolex Daytona (ref 116520, 40mm) - another iconic Rolex and another greatly loved watch. My other passion is cars so the Daytona always appealed to me. I also prefer the steel bezel to the new ceramic models (a relief as it means I don't lust after another expensive watch!).

Rolex Explorer 2 (ref 216570, 42mm) - my "holiday watch" (although not just worn on holidays!), big, bright, fun and tough, and goes well on a NATO strap I think.

Glashutte Original Panoreserve (ref 1-65-01-26-12-35, 40mm) - a lovely German watch from an underrated manufacturer, and a much cheaper alternative to another watch I love, the Lange 1!

Nomos Ahoi Atlantik Datum (ref 553, 40mm) - I love Nomos, and this is their "dive watch" (although I don't see it as that). A lovely watch but I don't wear it that much any more unfortunately.

Nomos Orion 38 (ref 384, 38mm) - a lovely classically styled watch, which I also don't wear much any more (mostly because it's effectively been replaced by the next watch in this list).

Nomos Lambda (ref 953, 39mm) - my most recent addition, and basically my dress watch (although I often end up wearing the Duometre or Royal Oak on special occasions).

Grand Seiko Hi-Beat (SBGH051, 40mm) - a boutique only special edition (1 of 35 in the US) with a very cool blue dial with gold accents.

Grand Seiko Hi-Beat GMT (SBGJ021, 40mm) - a limited edition of 500 pieces, with a spectacular dial and movement. Probably my favourite GS.

Grand Seiko Hi-Beat (SBGH001, 40mm) - another lovely Hi-Beat, which I bought mainly because I got it for a great price ... I have since fallen in love with it though and prefer it to the Snowflake.

Grand Seiko Hi-Beat GMT (SBGJ003, 40mm) - the first Hi-Beat I bought, from an AD with my wife present and showing approval (which is rare, so special!). A lovely watch in its own right with a subtle sunburst black dial.

Grand Seiko "Snowflake" (SBGA011, 41mm) - a watch with an amazing dial and movement, and which many say is the epitome of Grand Seiko. I've struggled to fall in love with it though, partly because I'm not a fan of titanium (too light!), partly because 41mm is at the extreme of what is acceptable on my wrist (7 and a third inches) for this type of watch.

Grand Seiko Quartz (SBGX063, 37mm) - a lovely watch and one I don't intend to sell, a great size for a dressy piece, lovely champagne sunburst dial, and spectacularly accurate (+0 seconds after four months).

(BTW, because I'm new, some of my replies have been "held for moderation" - I'm not ignoring you if you asked me a question!)

4 people like this.