• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The above statement is essentially saying “I wear a small watch and that makes me better than all the dirty show offs who wear a big watch because the like to show off”.
I'm not better than anyone. I'm different. We are all different.

Do I prefer what I like? Yes. Does it make me better? Of course not.

There is no need for me to own YOUR comment.

Now, this conversation is over.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get the function. Do all models of the 911 have it? If not why not? If not, is there something about the design of Foo's 911 that makes it necessary ... or a real positive? I'm truly curious about this.

I owned an 8C and didn't really feel I needed one ... then again I didn't push the limits.
Like 9th mentioned, all of the track focused Porsches have the giant rear wing. The other 911’s and 718 road oriented coupes have the retractable wings.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very short answer:
Not all 911s have it because they aren't all meant to be tracked. Or rather, some people are more serious about taking their cars to the track and others just drive theirs around the neighborhood. The track oriented 911s have the wing. The wing is definitely an engineering feature.
Like 9th mentioned, all of the track focused Porsches have the giant rear wing. The other 911’s and 718 road oriented coupes have the retractable wings.
Thanks guys, that is VERY helpful.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very short answer:
Not all 911s have it because they aren't all meant to be tracked. Or rather, some people are more serious about taking their cars to the track and others just drive theirs around the neighborhood. The track oriented 911s have the wing. The wing is definitely an engineering feature.
Here is another possibile explanation. It is a design error that prompted Porsche to put that wing on to increase stability of the car at high speed . I remember when Audi had to do it to TT models because they would become unstable at high speeds & rear would go all over the road. It is quite possible Porsche did the same. In any case, disproportinately large watches just like XL wings on cars are not always functional, but they are always for attention whoring.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that FP Journe watches had increased in popularity, but I didn't realise that they'd reached insane levels.

In an Australian watch group on Facebook, someone is selling an FP Journe Chronometre Bleu from 2019 for AUD$148,000 (about USD$110,000).

Someone posted on the listing and said, "I remember you offered this to me for AUD$85,000 last year" (about USD$63,000). The seller responded, "You should have bought it from me then, bro. Welcome to the watch market".

Nickd

Reaction score
Here is another possibile explanation. It is a design error that prompted Porsche to put that wing on to increase stability of the car at high speed . I remember when Audi had to do it to TT models because they would become unstable at high speeds & rear would go all over the road. It is quite possible Porsche did the same. In any case, disproportinately large watches just like XL wings on cars are not always functional, but they are always for attention whoring.
The wing is needed at very high speed - the racing GT3 has something very similar and any racing car is function over form.

I like that the wing on mine only comes up when it is necessary, over 70mph or so.

GT3 isn’t really a road car TBH, it’s a track car you can drive on the road. My godfather had a 996.2 GT3 and it was so much more focused than my 996.1 Carrera, too much so for normal use on U.K. roads, even the the Carrera is as firm a ride as you’d want.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
My Subaru Impreza Version 6 Had a massive wing.
1018.jpg
1021.jpg
And if i see one without a wing, it looks weird. Has to have the wing. And the wing is functional. It keeps the car planted at high speed. Or so they say. but i dig the look anyway.

(dang i miss that car. carry on.)

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the codpiece of cars
Back in the 90's a friend in LA sent me a copy of screenplay he'd received. It was about a gay bodybuilder designer trying to get everyone to wear codpieces (according to him they are better for the sperm). There was also a dog that danced after turning on and tuning the stereo to disco music. It was very 90's ... and never made it to film as far as I know.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Subaru Impreza Version 6 Had a massive wing.
And if i see one without a wing, it looks weird. Has to have the wing. And the wing is functional. It keeps the car planted at high speed. Or so they say. but i dig the look anyway.

(dang i miss that car. carry on.)
An excellent vintage, one of the last before cars became electronics shops on wheels with body armour.

All this talk of oversized reminds me of:

Leiker

Reaction score
Back in the 90's a friend in LA sent me a copy of screenplay he'd received. It was about a gay bodybuilder designer trying to get everyone to wear codpieces (according to him they are better for the sperm). There was also a dog that danced after turning on and tuning the stereo to disco music. It was very 90's ... and never made it to film as far as I know.
I still have high hopes for my screenplay, please contact me if interested.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.