• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that FP Journe watches had increased in popularity, but I didn't realise that they'd reached insane levels.

In an Australian watch group on Facebook, someone is selling an FP Journe Chronometre Bleu from 2019 for AUD$148,000 (about USD$110,000).

Someone posted on the listing and said, "I remember you offered this to me for AUD$85,000 last year" (about USD$63,000). The seller responded, "You should have bought it from me then, bro. Welcome to the watch market".

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is another possibile explanation. It is a design error that prompted Porsche to put that wing on to increase stability of the car at high speed . I remember when Audi had to do it to TT models because they would become unstable at high speeds & rear would go all over the road. It is quite possible Porsche did the same. In any case, disproportinately large watches just like XL wings on cars are not always functional, but they are always for attention whoring.
The wing is needed at very high speed - the racing GT3 has something very similar and any racing car is function over form.

I like that the wing on mine only comes up when it is necessary, over 70mph or so.

GT3 isn’t really a road car TBH, it’s a track car you can drive on the road. My godfather had a 996.2 GT3 and it was so much more focused than my 996.1 Carrera, too much so for normal use on U.K. roads, even the the Carrera is as firm a ride as you’d want.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
My Subaru Impreza Version 6 Had a massive wing.
1018.jpg
1021.jpg
And if i see one without a wing, it looks weird. Has to have the wing. And the wing is functional. It keeps the car planted at high speed. Or so they say. but i dig the look anyway.

(dang i miss that car. carry on.)

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the codpiece of cars
Back in the 90's a friend in LA sent me a copy of screenplay he'd received. It was about a gay bodybuilder designer trying to get everyone to wear codpieces (according to him they are better for the sperm). There was also a dog that danced after turning on and tuning the stereo to disco music. It was very 90's ... and never made it to film as far as I know.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Subaru Impreza Version 6 Had a massive wing.
And if i see one without a wing, it looks weird. Has to have the wing. And the wing is functional. It keeps the car planted at high speed. Or so they say. but i dig the look anyway.

(dang i miss that car. carry on.)
An excellent vintage, one of the last before cars became electronics shops on wheels with body armour.

All this talk of oversized reminds me of:

Leiker

Reaction score
Back in the 90's a friend in LA sent me a copy of screenplay he'd received. It was about a gay bodybuilder designer trying to get everyone to wear codpieces (according to him they are better for the sperm). There was also a dog that danced after turning on and tuning the stereo to disco music. It was very 90's ... and never made it to film as far as I know.
I still have high hopes for my screenplay, please contact me if interested.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wing is needed at very high speed - the racing GT3 has something very similar and any racing car is function over form.

I like that the wing on mine only comes up when it is necessary, over 70mph or so.

GT3 isn’t really a road car TBH, it’s a track car you can drive on the road. My godfather had a 996.2 GT3 and it was so much more focused than my 996.1 Carrera, too much so for normal use on U.K. roads, even the the Carrera is as firm a ride as you’d want.
Do you have some insights as to the (full size) Landcruiser's failure in the UK market? I heard people didn't enjoy the truck like driving experience. They're a big hit in the Middle East and Australia, but disappeared from the US altogether. I guess if you're mostly driving on roads and near plentiful repair shops you might as well go German or Indian. But there is something special about driving something at the extreme end of an evolutionary path, to accept the compromises that come with the full experience.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the function. Do all models of the 911 have it? If not why not? If not, is there something about the design of Foo's 911 that makes it necessary ... or a real positive? I'm truly curious about this.

I owned an 8C and didn't really feel I needed one ... then again I didn't push the limits.
it's a really a track car, you can buy a GT3 touring for example without the wing - looks more subtle and is still a beast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads