• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally went ahead and had my 30 year old oyster bracelet restored - very impressed with the results. The internal pins that have lost material over time (leading to the perceived 'stretch') have all been replaced and the individual links that have had some corners worn down, have had same steel material applied by welding. Everything then lightly re-satinised, it's like getting a new watch.

View attachment 1623233

- not that this photo shows any of that. Photos of some of the shop's before and after work here. They even managed to do it in 3 days (though they normally may take up to 3 weeks).
Looks like great work. Their website is interesting.

I let an SD 16600 pass through my collection years ago because I didn't like the stamped metal clasp. Kind wish I could have that one back. Even the same gen Seamaster had a nicer clasp at the time.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually don't mind the stamped metal clasp, though it had become a bit rattly with the looser bracelet over time. Now, it sits fully flush and tight (in part due to me also having the never used diving extension removed as well).

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, no wonder you have such refined and demanding taste. My old man gave me a service dial, twice polished Rolex and a love of Shiner Bock and Whataburger. I don't have uncles. Although I graduated to Coors Light once I became a sophisticate. We all gotta start from somewhere, though, right?
You have great taste
Indeed.

You go to a party in NYC (Patek-ville) and the host smirks, "Cocaine on the left, Quaaludes on the right.", gesturing smugly at two enormous silver Tiffany-style bowls on the hallway sideboards.

You go to a party at Judd/Vinciarelli's in Marfa, TX (Rolex-ville) and the host smiles, "Shiner Bock on the left, Dr Pepper on the right." gesturing openly at two enormous ice-filled galvanized troughs stationed under the grape-vine pergola.

Shiner Bock rocks.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going back and forth between these two - any thoughts?

Still haven't managed to see the GO in person - apparently neither dealer in Manhattan has one.

Also open to other suggestions along these lines.

iwc5007-05.jpeg GO_Senator-Observer_whitedial_LG.jpg

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going back and forth between these two - any thoughts?

Still haven't managed to see the GO in person - apparently neither dealer in Manhattan has one.

Also open to other suggestions along these lines.

View attachment 1623294 View attachment 1623295
That IWC is lovely. It's even better in person. If the larger case diameter doesn't bother you, go for it. If you want that but in a smaller, more manageable case diameter, then I recommend the new Portugieser 40 mm,

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually don't mind the stamped metal clasp, though it had become a bit rattly with the looser bracelet over time. Now, it sits fully flush and tight (in part due to me also having the never used diving extension removed as well).
It is perfectly functional and I kept telling myself that but in the end, I moved it along. In retrospect, I'd be quite happy with that stamped clasp right now if it was attached to the ideal bomb-proof dive watch (IMO). The helium relief valve comes in quite handy sometimes...

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like great work. Their website is interesting.

I let an SD 16600 pass through my collection years ago because I didn't like the stamped metal clasp. Kind wish I could have that one back. Even the same gen Seamaster had a nicer clasp at the time.
Looks nice. I think that bracelets are oft undervalued in that 80% + of the tactile feel of the watch is really the bracelet, more than the watch. Mind if I ask the price range for your refurbishing?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crown & buckle

big variety, reasonable prices.
+1 for Crown & Buckle. I've used dozens of their Nato style straps. I gave up on the double pass version and have been just as happy. Once they get dirty/smelly I just toss and replace. Very reasonably priced and tons of options.

pmeis

Reaction score
what are peoples recommendations for NATO straps? I know Hokindee and The Armoury have them in their shops, but wanted to see if there were any other go-to recommendations out there

C&B Supreme NATOs and Worn & Wound ADPT. The Hodinkee UTE ones are also great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads