• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice. I think that bracelets are oft undervalued in that 80% + of the tactile feel of the watch is really the bracelet, more than the watch. Mind if I ask the price range for your refurbishing?

Was that a question for me? If so, the price is about $570 (compared to a new bracelet which here would be $1470).

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for Crown & Buckle. I've used dozens of their Nato style straps. I gave up on the double pass version and have been just as happy. Once they get dirty/smelly I just toss and replace. Very reasonably priced and tons of options.

I too buy the single pass straps.

If you wrap them around the belt loop of a pair of pants you can run them through the washing machine and they're basically as good as new.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unless you're an astronaut or Sean Connery

Done. @George Red NATO approved.

00000.jpg

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are peoples recommendations for NATO straps? I know Hokindee and The Armoury have them in their shops, but wanted to see if there were any other go-to recommendations out there
Crown and Buckle, MWC, Maratec, Worn & Wound, B&R seat belt, etc. are all good. WatchBandit make good ones in great, simple colors/combinations. @DavidLane makes amazing cordovan NATO straps.

Alternate fabric: Eulit Perlon, available through Holben's, etc.
Alternate style: Erika's Originals MN.

timesofplenty on eBay often has some beautiful color and pattern vintage/o-o-p NOS Perlon straps.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going back and forth between these two - any thoughts?

Still haven't managed to see the GO in person - apparently neither dealer in Manhattan has one.

Also open to other suggestions along these lines.

View attachment 1623294 View attachment 1623295
Of those two, I prefer the GO mainly because I think it is beautifully balanced. On the IWC: I do not like gap-toothed dates at 6:00 at all, the highly blued numerals, and the red PR. So in IWC I far prefer the Portugieser (automatic, unless you really want a chronograph).

Dornblüth & Sohn also make many superb iterations of the marine watch, many complication combinations, various case materials, printed applied numerals, etc. All of them are beautiful.

web-99AuA-1-ST.png

Caliber 99 or Q-2010.2 up & down

Web-992-M-gr-ST.png

Caliber 99.2

Web-20109-gr-ST.png

Quintus 2010.9

web-994-1-ST.png

Caliber 99.4

web-995-1-RG.png
Caliber 99.5

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% the GO. Finishing is generally a step up from IWC and they are available at very attractive prices used. If you go new, push for 25% - 35% off. You can use my super cheap indian dude method too and just blanket email 10 - 20 ADs. Just BCC them all and basically let them bid themselves down. This is how I got my ALS for wayyy below list and then profitably sold it when I got bored.

I'm going back and forth between these two - any thoughts?

Still haven't managed to see the GO in person - apparently neither dealer in Manhattan has one.

Also open to other suggestions along these lines.

View attachment 1623294 View attachment 1623295

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are peoples recommendations for NATO straps? I know Hokindee and The Armoury have them in their shops, but wanted to see if there were any other go-to recommendations out there

don’t be schnookered into spending a lot on a NATO strap. CWC sells the genuine thing for half the price. HODINKEE straps are sewn whereas the genuine NATO straps are heat welded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads