• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Warmest Coat

Lint Brush

Reaction score
What would be deemed to be the warmest "dress" coat for the winter? I have a cashmere topcoat from Barneys and a wool Gloverall duffel coat (and a waxed cotton Lewis Creek coat with fleece lining from Upland Trading that's pretty warm), but once the temperature dips much below freezing the cold creeps in.

I was wondering if loden was warmer--or perhaps a shearling? My wife's shearling weighs a ton, and she says that it's her warmest coat. Or just a heavier wool, like in a peacoat? Your thoughts/experiences appreciated.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wool/cashmere coat is pretty warm, but I always went with Goretex stuff once the temperature dropped below zero, my attitude is that i'd rather survive the cold than look good while frozen solid
smile.gif

Lint Brush

Reaction score
I agree that once things get below zero all bets are off . . we've had some unseasonably cold weather in Manhattan last winter, and I was interested in moderating the "0 to 20" degree range.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, I must have read your post incorrectly, I think shearling should be quite warm, I saw a nice Boss shearling coat in their outlet last time I was there, with a fur collar. It was VERY warm.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
except for maybe my North Face down jacket, my original issue Navy peacoat that i got for a song at a Rose Bowl swap meet is by far the warmest coat that i own.

but the thing is also bulky as all hell and i'm a danger on the road if i wear it while driving.

-Jeff

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to school in Wisconsin...brrr. Loden is not that much warmer than wool, just more resistant to water. Loden can suffice in 15 degree weather if it has a separate warm wool lining (Salko used to make a coat like this, if you can find it). Shearling is by far the warmest-but stains are difficult to remove from the suede outside and, in my experience, it's questionable whether even the leather experts are that much help. The duffel coat is OK, but no comparison to shearling.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have yet to try out my cashmere topcoat in the cold, but it's pretty warm inside. Supposedly alpaca and camel hair are something like 150% as warm as wool, although I don't know how they come up with that number.

I will second the suggestion of the peacoat, mine is awesome in the cold but it is a little too tight for a sweater underneath, and it's getting pretty beat up. I am picking up a "newer" (less used but still vintage) one later today and I'll see how that fits. I don't have problems driving in it, though. Gamelan, maybe yours is not sized quite right?

fkl118

Reaction score
What would be deemed to be the warmest "dress" coat for the winter? Â
I'm glad you asked. This gives me a chance to use my digital camera. My favourite winter dress coat is a double-breasted full-length heavy weight wool/cashmere coat. DB is definitely warmer than SB. The length is right to the mid-calf: keeps your knees warm on those cold windy days. Also, the lapel can fold up and be buttoned down to a button hidden under the collar. This keeps your neck warm especially when you don't have a scarf. BTW, trust a Canadian when it comes to keeping warm in the winter.

ROT

Reaction score
DB is the way to go most of the time, I'll agree. But, a few years ago, I was in Bath, England and it was nasty cold (in comparison to where I had been living). With wind chill I imagine it was around -5 F. The shearling "sheepie" I was wearing over the cashmere sweater and heavy shirt, etc. did the trick. I think the extra weight helps keep you warm as you lug it around. Sort of like running with a rucksack full of sand.
biggrin.gif
Don't forget the cashmere watch cap and good socks. Like an instructor of mine used to say: "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear."

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I thought I would chime in on a great product from Schneider's of Saltzberg, Austria. For those of you who have not seen or experienced their product they are fantastic loden coats. They are the original manufacturers of the military loden coats worn in Austria and have a rich history. They offer many styles with various linings for added warmth and one in particular has a fabric insulation called "Outlast" used by Nasa for regulating warmth witin the coat. They also offer coats with removable linings of wool, cashmere and fur. Gortex is also available within their collections. Their web site is not representative of their popular styles but I would suggest a visit. www.schneiders.com.

Lint Brush

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input on the subject--thanks again and, to those observing, a Happy Thanksgiving.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A heavy shearling coat will keep you warm way down below zero. Problem is that it will likely be too warm for more moderate temperatures.

stache

Reaction score
Lint Brush, consider relining your cashmere coat with silk, if it is not silk already. That will make a big diffrence. Usually when it's really cold I wear a leather jacket under my cashmere coat. That tends to do the trick.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni has a cashmere raglan overcoat that is reversible with a cashmere side and silk side with a fabric belt with a cashmere and silk side (but no hand work). I have a black one and a brown one and they are moderate weight but warm and comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads