• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Unofficial Spier & Mackay B-S-T Thread

SteveMc

Reaction score
Still up for sale...

Worn shirts - 20$
Unworn shirt - 40$

Sweaters - 30$

Trousers - 60$

Selling trousers, sweaters, shirts most of them with very light wear, some new. PM for pics or questions.

Shirts

Blue strip cotton/linen - cooper collar - 15.5 Slim - new with tags https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/blue-stripe---cotton-linen-ry-2696-c22f5k-cc-ss22
Blue bengal stripe linen/cotton - spread collar - 15.5/35 Extra slim - lightly worn
Sky blue poplin - spread collar - 15.5/34 Extra slim - lightly worn https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/sky-blue-poplin-mt-2456-c2f5k

Merino Sweaters

Brown v-neck size M
Taupe v-neck size M

Trousers

Khaki Quest Cotton - high rise - 32 contemporary - new never worn
VBC light gray fresco - regular rise - 32 contemporary - 30" inseam with unfinished hem - new with tags

noobanker

Reaction score
So how are the shawl collar sweaters? Are you satisfied enough that you don't think you want to ever spend 2x-5x for a more premium version w/ cashmere, etc? Are they really chunky? How is the fabric? Is it comparable to 4-ply knits from other?
What size would you recommend for a silhouette like this below?

Smarter_than_Casual

Reaction score
So how are the shawl collar sweaters? Are you satisfied enough that you don't think you want to ever spend 2x-5x for a more premium version w/ cashmere, etc? Are they really chunky? How is the fabric? Is it comparable to 4-ply knits from other?
What size would you recommend for a silhouette like this below?

I ordered one to try on last season.
Feeling was quite good and pleasingly heavy. They recommended sizing down, I found the smaller size to be a bit to trim though. The shilouette above would probably achieved with your regular size. I also ordered the Colhays version for ocmparison.

In the end, I went with the Colhays mainly because of the Material. The Merino used in Spiers Cardigan is significantly lighter (not only by virtue of being 4 vs. 6-ply). It also feel much less plush for lack of a better term. Think of the difference between a fine gage merino sweater and a cosy & soft lambswool. There is also less tension in Spier's knit, meaning it hangs more, while the Colhays one retains its shape better. The Lambswool feels like you are wearing cozy blanket, the merino doesnt. The 6-Ply also has way more structure in the collar. If you plan to layer it more and be more active in it, the Merino from Spier absolutely fills your needs, but for the real ultimate lounge feel I strongly recommend going 6-ply Lambswool. Can't talk about 12-Ply Cashmere as i have never tried it.

I currently own the Cream version of Colhays and am considering a Navy by either them or HN White.
I still like the colour variations Spier did (the Slate Blue was Amazing!), but don't think I can compromise now having spoilt myself before.

Best

Johannes

noobanker

Reaction score
I ordered one to try on last season.
Feeling was quite good and pleasingly heavy. They recommended sizing down, I found the smaller size to be a bit to trim though. The shilouette above would probably achieved with your regular size. I also ordered the Colhays version for ocmparison.

In the end, I went with the Colhays mainly because of the Material. The Merino used in Spiers Cardigan is significantly lighter (not only by virtue of being 4 vs. 6-ply). It also feel much less plush for lack of a better term. Think of the difference between a fine gage merino sweater and a cosy & soft lambswool. There is also less tension in Spier's knit, meaning it hangs more, while the Colhays one retains its shape better. The Lambswool feels like you are wearing cozy blanket, the merino doesnt. The 6-Ply also has way more structure in the collar. If you plan to layer it more and be more active in it, the Merino from Spier absolutely fills your needs, but for the real ultimate lounge feel I strongly recommend going 6-ply Lambswool. Can't talk about 12-Ply Cashmere as i have never tried it.

I currently own the Cream version of Colhays and am considering a Navy by either them or HN White.
I still like the colour variations Spier did (the Slate Blue was Amazing!), but don't think I can compromise now having spoilt myself before.

Best

Johannes

Thank you. That's what I figured given the price. I'd rather save up for a deal on one I actually want to keep for a long time.

Smarter_than_Casual

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with Spier&Mackay Ties?

Looking at a couple of them and curious how the construction is. I prefer lightweight ties and usually buy ties from Viola Milano, Shibumi, Paolo Albizatti etc.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

charleswang

Reaction score
I have several suits in 38R slim in excellent condition that I am selling. Note, all of my trousers have been altered to a 30 in waist, 30.5in inseam with 1.75 cuffs. Jacket slightly nipped in the waist and sleeves minimally shortened.

1. Chocolate VBC flannel suit in Neo cut from FW 2021, with surgeon cuffs: $175 shipped to CONUS
2. Charcoal VBC covert suit in Neo cut from FW 2021: $150 shipped to CONUS
3. Navy John Cavendish full canvas super 120's from FW 2021, with surgeon cuffs: $250 shipped to CONUS
DM'd!

A12321

Reaction score
Want to buy: S&M 38R Neo Cut Suit in Navy - New only. Not so particular about the Navy fabric, but it should be blue. Must be new with tags and unaltered.

jsong812

Reaction score
I have several suits in 38R slim in excellent condition that I am selling. Note, all of my trousers have been altered to a 30 in waist, 30.5in inseam with 1.75 cuffs. Jacket slightly nipped in the waist and sleeves minimally shortened.

1. Chocolate VBC flannel suit in Neo cut from FW 2021, with surgeon cuffs: $175 shipped to CONUS
2. Charcoal VBC covert suit in Neo cut from FW 2021: $150 shipped to CONUS
3. Navy John Cavendish full canvas super 120's from FW 2021, with surgeon cuffs: $250 shipped to CONUS
1669694562263.png

1309a

Reaction score
Looking for shawl cardigan in size S or M, preferably in navy/charcoal/taupe

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last call for my 42 Rust Herringbone Polo coat and 33 white single pleat corduroys before they go to ebay.

$250 & $40 respectively or $275 for both.

Octobab

Reaction score
Anybody have a size "L" Navy Fair Isle they'd like to size down? My Medium is a touch slimmer than I'd prefer, but it's sold out so I can't exchange

Happy to toss some cash on top of the trade

1669911100885.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads