• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s so Fing stupid that Uniqlo in Canada only carry up to size 33 in pants for the collabs. I get that maybe the bigger sizes aren’t as popular, so why not reduce the volume rather than cutting it out completely.

xeoniq

Reaction score
I got a handful of basics from Uniqlo a few months ago when I wanted something casual but tidy and in a lighter palette. I liked the hidden pockets on the Nylon 3D Gear Pants and the Jersey Overshirt and they all have quick dry and stretch. After about a dozen wears (I always just wear this set together out of laziness) I think the stuff has held up well. I can't say the same about a lot of other Uniqlo purchases I've made over the years that have stretched out or pilled with a few wears. The quality of these pieces and the technical design considerations is nice for the price, imo and I felt the colours available (especially the khaki overshirt) were on trend. The fit on the Nylon 3D Gear pants is not as flattering as it could be imo but I think it's been made with roomier hips for cycling, or some other activity so that's understandable.

The Jersey Overshirt is probably all on sale or sold out by now but I think the Nylon 3D Gear Pants and Dry-Ex Tee should be around for a while more. Was happy to see some non-Uniqlo U/Collab items that were well made and designed from the brand.

uniqlobasics.jpg

cafedandy2

Reaction score
Back from the U SS22 launch and got a couple of items. To be honest, since this line is going pretty much stable, I don't feel getting as much pieces anymore since it's going to be a repeat of a lot of pieces I already have in the past seasons. I'd always recommend this for people who are looking for some elevated basics, still mostly well done pieces.

Outerwear
What stood out for me here is the Oversized Hooded Jacket in purple, it's a thin compact cotton fabric but enough to repel light rain with the storm flaps to keep one ventilated. It's very minimal design and neutral color actually fits in a lot of outfits. May be one of the most Lemaire-like piece for me in terms of the storm flaps and zip up collar and the overall silhouette. I recommend TTS with its intentional oversized fit, but it's safe to size down actually.

The trench coat is a nice thin outer layer, also oversized so it's safe to size down unless you will layer with thick knits. The overshirt work jackets I feel are something you can wait for sale for their very familiar design already and the thinner cotton poplin versions make the denim one a bit more better value for the same price. The denim is light yet substantial compared to the past iterations of this jacket which uses thicker denim (which I personally prefer). The tailored jacket is similar to SS20, but now with no sleeve lining, so it's more apt for hotter days. The rib blouson is also thin yet still good fabric and easily slips on any outfit.

Sweaters and Cardigans
Nothing too wow in this section for me, but the key piece I would recommend would be the French Rib Cardigan - which is actually just a new version of the SS21 Sweat Cardigan, only that this season uses a milano-rib style fabric. Also good to have is the Knitted Half Sleeve Tee which they always release every season. Fits like the U Airism tee but in knit cotton. Best fit TTS but size up actually looks good for these pieces.

Shirts
Everything is the same as past seasons in terms of cut and silhouette, just using cotton-linen on most and having new colors. Buttons are still your usual cheap plasticky ones, but because this shirt's cut is one I like, I still recommend for your every day beater. Some people I know even change all the buttons to shell ones and makes it all better. The short sleeve shirts am personally not a fan of but if you are looking for nice summer shirts, then still a good choice because of the half-sleeves and oversized fit that makes it contemporary

T-Shirts
Your usual U Airism and Crew Neck Tees just in new colors. There are some new striped tees with a thicker neck ribbing and actually look nice when worn if you're into this retro/surfer style.

Bottoms
The only stand out for me is the Baker Pants because of its cut that is wide but tapers to the hem, add to that the stitching details and pockets, and the placement of the front pleats make it interesting overall. The cotton canvas material is light, so again, good for hot days. You could size down here, but I think TTS is better because it is intentionally wide. I got the olive as I feel like it will age better when it fades, I originally wanted the black but it might look too old soon (unless it's the look you're going for), natural is interesting as you can see the stitch details well.

The regular fit selvedge jeans are very reliable ones if you want good value selvedge jeans, the denim is thin yet substantial, I personally like the black on as it feels like a deep black denim. Fit is the same as past seasons with a regular straight fit with a little taper.

Jogger pants are of a thinner cotton twill, drapes nicely and flows compared to the past versions. French Rib pants are the same fabric as the Cardigan, can be worn as a setup, it's like a lighter sweat pants and very comfy. Climbing Shorts fit wide and hem goes a little above your knee.

Goods
I'm glad to see the return of the shoes with the Knitted Sneakers, the squarish toe box is a Lemaire signature shape that looks sleek and is reminiscent of the 16SS Uniqlo and Lemaire canvas slip-ons. It has a higher outer sole as they made room for a cushioned insole that makes it comfortable to walk on. I'm usually a size 43 but I took a size 42 as it is more fitting to my foot with no heel slippage and I only wear it with a thin foot cover or barefoot. If you intend to wear this with socks, consider your actual size or best to try on first as fit may vary.

The Drawstring Shoulder Bag is also quite a popular item that it almost sold out in the Japanese web store. It can look plain but the interesting detail for me is the drawstring closure, large capacity and ergonomics of this bag.

Womenswear
As always, the womens always have the better end of every season with more innovative designs, so I recommend checking them out. The two pieces I'm interested in is the Stand Collar Oversized L/S Shirt, which is an iteration actually of Lemaire's current shirting with the double top buttons (of course Lemaire mainline version is better but U will still do well). I got one in my usual mens size and the cotton voile fabric is drapey, light and airy. The other piece is the Double pocket Oversized L/S Shirt which uses light denim, a size up from your usual mens will be just right. Am always a fan of the double pocket shirts they make for womens, for some reason it's always better.

So overall, still worth checking out if there are pieces that catch your attention, I'd recommend to just get the pieces that you truly want. But for pieces that are just ok, you can be patient enough and for sure, everything will still be there on sale season a month later. (Unless stocks are few or your size is popular)

Here are some fit pics for reference:
(I'm 168 cm tall, 71 kg weight, medium built)

3D Knit Sweater + Baker Pants + Knitted Sneakers
IMG_5461.jpg IMG_5471.jpg

Knitted Half Sleeve Tee
IMG_5483.jpg

W's Stand Collar Oversized L/S Shirt
IMG_5490.jpg

Drawstring Shoulder Bag
IMG_5498.jpg

Oversized Hooded Jacket
IMG_5507.jpg IMG_5523.jpg

NonChalant321

Reaction score
I'm glad to see the return of the shoes with the Knitted Sneakers, the squarish toe box is a Lemaire signature shape that looks sleek and is reminiscent of the 16SS Uniqlo and Lemaire canvas slip-ons. It has a higher outer sole as they made room for a cushioned insole that makes it comfortable to walk on. I'm usually a size 43 but I took a size 42 as it is more fitting to my foot with no heel slippage and I only wear it with a thin foot cover or barefoot. If you intend to wear this with socks, consider your actual size or best to try on first as fit may vary.

Would you say the sizing of the slip on is the same as the 16SS canvas slip ons?

fatsu

Reaction score
Back from the U SS22 launch and got a couple of items. To be honest, since this line is going pretty much stable, I don't feel getting as much pieces anymore since it's going to be a repeat of a lot of pieces I already have in the past seasons. I'd always recommend this for people who are looking for some elevated basics, still mostly well done pieces.

Outerwear
What stood out for me here is the Oversized Hooded Jacket in purple, it's a thin compact cotton fabric but enough to repel light rain with the storm flaps to keep one ventilated. It's very minimal design and neutral color actually fits in a lot of outfits. May be one of the most Lemaire-like piece for me in terms of the storm flaps and zip up collar and the overall silhouette. I recommend TTS with its intentional oversized fit, but it's safe to size down actually.

The trench coat is a nice thin outer layer, also oversized so it's safe to size down unless you will layer with thick knits. The overshirt work jackets I feel are something you can wait for sale for their very familiar design already and the thinner cotton poplin versions make the denim one a bit more better value for the same price. The denim is light yet substantial compared to the past iterations of this jacket which uses thicker denim (which I personally prefer). The tailored jacket is similar to SS20, but now with no sleeve lining, so it's more apt for hotter days. The rib blouson is also thin yet still good fabric and easily slips on any outfit.

Sweaters and Cardigans
Nothing too wow in this section for me, but the key piece I would recommend would be the French Rib Cardigan - which is actually just a new version of the SS21 Sweat Cardigan, only that this season uses a milano-rib style fabric. Also good to have is the Knitted Half Sleeve Tee which they always release every season. Fits like the U Airism tee but in knit cotton. Best fit TTS but size up actually looks good for these pieces.

Shirts
Everything is the same as past seasons in terms of cut and silhouette, just using cotton-linen on most and having new colors. Buttons are still your usual cheap plasticky ones, but because this shirt's cut is one I like, I still recommend for your every day beater. Some people I know even change all the buttons to shell ones and makes it all better. The short sleeve shirts am personally not a fan of but if you are looking for nice summer shirts, then still a good choice because of the half-sleeves and oversized fit that makes it contemporary

T-Shirts
Your usual U Airism and Crew Neck Tees just in new colors. There are some new striped tees with a thicker neck ribbing and actually look nice when worn if you're into this retro/surfer style.

Bottoms
The only stand out for me is the Baker Pants because of its cut that is wide but tapers to the hem, add to that the stitching details and pockets, and the placement of the front pleats make it interesting overall. The cotton canvas material is light, so again, good for hot days. You could size down here, but I think TTS is better because it is intentionally wide. I got the olive as I feel like it will age better when it fades, I originally wanted the black but it might look too old soon (unless it's the look you're going for), natural is interesting as you can see the stitch details well.

The regular fit selvedge jeans are very reliable ones if you want good value selvedge jeans, the denim is thin yet substantial, I personally like the black on as it feels like a deep black denim. Fit is the same as past seasons with a regular straight fit with a little taper.

Jogger pants are of a thinner cotton twill, drapes nicely and flows compared to the past versions. French Rib pants are the same fabric as the Cardigan, can be worn as a setup, it's like a lighter sweat pants and very comfy. Climbing Shorts fit wide and hem goes a little above your knee.

Goods

The Drawstring Shoulder Bag is also quite a popular item that it almost sold out in the Japanese web store. It can look plain but the interesting detail for me is the drawstring closure, large capacity and ergonomics of this bag.

Womenswear
As always, the womens always have the better end of every season with more innovative designs, so I recommend checking them out. The two pieces I'm interested in is the Stand Collar Oversized L/S Shirt, which is an iteration actually of Lemaire's current shirting with the double top buttons (of course Lemaire mainline version is better but U will still do well). I got one in my usual mens size and the cotton voile fabric is drapey, light and airy. The other piece is the Double pocket Oversized L/S Shirt which uses light denim, a size up from your usual mens will be just right. Am always a fan of the double pocket shirts they make for womens, for some reason it's always better.

So overall, still worth checking out if there are pieces that catch your attention, I'd recommend to just get the pieces that you truly want. But for pieces that are just ok, you can be patient enough and for sure, everything will still be there on sale season a month later. (Unless stocks are few or your size is popular)

Here are some fit pics for reference:
(I'm 168 cm tall, 71 kg weight, medium built)

3D Knit Sweater + Baker Pants + Knitted Sneakers
View attachment 1745615 View attachment 1745616

Knitted Half Sleeve Tee
View attachment 1745617

W's Stand Collar Oversized L/S Shirt
View attachment 1745618

Drawstring Shoulder Bag
View attachment 1745619

Oversized Hooded Jacket
View attachment 1745620 View attachment 1745621
Thanks for the review. The hooded blouson is the only thing I want; it seems a bit pricey but also I feel like it's the most likely to sell out, so I might have to buy it at MSRP.

Phrost

Reaction score
@cafedandy2 Thanks for the review! The Baker pants and Oversized Hooded Jacket caught my eye the most.

The oversized hooded jacket is described as a rain jacket but I see it’s 100% cotton, which confused me a bit. Does it have water resistant coating?

The Jogger pants caught my eye too. I love the UU joggers I got this past season, but I do wish they had a zip fly like this one.

Is the pocket fabric on the UU selvedge jeans thin like last seasons?

Also, does your local Uniqlo carry the Vintage chinos? In the US, I think last season was the first time I’ve seen them stop carrying those pants ever since they opened stores here.

cafedandy2

Reaction score
@NonChalant321 You can size down your usual one on these, I took a 42 and still comfy. (I'm usually a 43, the next size was 43.5 which was a bit loose on me)

@fatsu You're welcome! For me it's worth the full price if you really want it, rather than get something on sale that you're not too hot about (but of course we do want those price drops!). A day of using it and I notice some simple details that make me like it a lot, such as the seamless cut from shoulder to sleeve that gives some volume to keep it airy inside, and the overall loose silhouette has a charm. The store where I am ran out of my size fast! You can always return/exchange if later if it's something you don't end up liking.

@Phrost No worries, those two I think are the key pieces this season, for me worth the full price if they're your favorite!
The U Oversized Hooded Jacket can indeed repel light rain, I tested it by running some water for a few minutes and so far they all just bounce. I think they did apply a water repellent finish even if they didn't mention in the details.
The U Jogger Pants are light and drapey with the lightweight cotton satin, best for warm days if it's too hot to wear the FW21 version haha!
The U Selvedge as I've tried seem to have the same pocket fabric as before - did you have a certain bad experience with it?
My local Uniqlo in Vietnam, used to also have the Vintage chinos a fews seasons ago, but I don't see them now as maybe because they all ended on the sale aisle a lot.

Last edited:

cafedandy2

Reaction score
Here's some fit pics for the French Rib Cardigan and Pants setup (Black) and the Rib Blouson (Natural). I sized up on the Cardigan because I like a bit more drapey and loose, but you can go TTS here (and also, i have TTS of the SS21 Sweat Cardigan version, which is exactly the same except for the updated fabric). Pants and Blouson are TTS.

All of them are light and airy, quite comfy yet still having that touch of elegance as long as you style it well.

IMG_5643.jpg IMG_5652.jpg IMG_5666.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads