• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rdstour

Reaction score
I guess we will all have quite different interpretations of value, especially insane value. I found the WM fleeces to be cheap to handle, but i've never been a fan of those very fluffy fleeces Uniqlo do anyway.

I was probably a bit harsh in my initial post as i've bought and kept a few things over the last few UU seasons which i have liked, especially the thick, wide cords from last winter and a 100% wool mock neck knit from maybe three winters ago. But i do think the balance between design, price and quality has shifted over the years, and especially since the collabs ramped up. Knits now contain much more acrylic and polyester, AW padded shirts that used to be filled with down are filled with poly, flannels can be entirely synthetic, fabrics described as moleskin are much thinner than previous iterations etc. This is just my experience though. And perhaps i was just unlikely with my +J pieces (although an unlined, 70% poly sweat for £40 doesn't seem that great a balance between design, accessibility and price IMO).

For me the inconsistent sizing, and that there's now a charge for returns, also have to be considered when it comes to assessing Uniqlo's value, too.

While I agree with you in principle, I think you're misinterpreting the kind of hoodie the product is meant to be. It's made from Dry Sweat, which has always been Uniqlo's synthetic activewear sweat material that has a bit of stretch and and texture to it, rather than some cotton blend equivalent. As a "performance" fabric, the high synthetic % is a feature, not a bug.

if you think of it in that vein (e.g., like Nike's Tech Fleece material or similar), the cost + design + cut feels pretty solid to me.

ILikeBacon

Reaction score
Personally loved the +J collection for this FW and picked up a bunch of the items. Also ended up picking up the WM ULD liner after trying it on.

I have the oversized cashmere-blend chesterfield from last FW and compared to my Acne Charles coat which was 4x the price, I actually like it slightly more.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel that a lot of Uniqlo designs and materials are price point driven, especially when shopped online. I don’t know the specific B&M vs Online customer breakdown, but I’d guess it’s done this way to appeal to online customers where it’s more difficult to understand the value of materials. Of course when you have these items in hand the quality of construction and materials are more apparent.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Really impressed with the +J shirt jacket. I picked one up in my regular Uniqlo size, which was still too big. Returned and was going to pass on it but kept thinking back to the material and drape. Ended up going with it in smaller size and keeping it. With the WM ULD liner under it, it's quite warm for being so thin.

rdstour

Reaction score
Picked up the oversized Duffle Coat. While I love the details (Especially the trim and the side openings on either side of the coat), it just felt a little silly on me, even after I sized down.

While the fabric is good (100% wool), my issue is that it's a fairly light-to-mid weight fabric. In buying a lager winter coat, I'd rather have a more substantial fabric, even if that comes at a cost of the kind of drape a lighter fabric can create.

It's going back :/

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Nevermind - I ordered an XS and it arrived. The fit is more or less a perfect "normal" fit. For anyone still wondering about US sizing, I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs and I find the best fits for WM have been ULD in S, Fleece Pullover in S, and Hybrid Down Parka in XS unless you want the oversized look. I got last year's +J hybrid down parka in S last year and somewhat regretted not getting it in XS since more fitted seems warmer (less drafty), and I'm starting to feel a bit past the age for the oversized jacket look.

Anyway, the parka hood is awesome - by far my favorite part. Pockets and double zippers are nice too.

AlaninTally

Reaction score
So anyone checked out the JwA drop?
Curious if the rugby polo will be included. It’s not featured on the available products preview ?

Attachments

• F1C9427A-7F21-4ECB-8050-EA2A7A76B495.jpeg
    F1C9427A-7F21-4ECB-8050-EA2A7A76B495.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 353

Panzer

Reaction score
Picked up the oversized Duffle Coat. While I love the details (Especially the trim and the side openings on either side of the coat), it just felt a little silly on me, even after I sized down.

While the fabric is good (100% wool), my issue is that it's a fairly light-to-mid weight fabric. In buying a lager winter coat, I'd rather have a more substantial fabric, even if that comes at a cost of the kind of drape a lighter fabric can create.

It's going back :/
Mid-weight? It might be one of the lightest duffles I've felt - reminded of something out of Primark. Very soft though.

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Picked up a couple of basic things from +J but pretty disappointed. The dry sweat has an interesting shape, but the material feels cheap. There's no terry or loopback lining either so it's actually quite thin. For £40 i was hoping for something fancy... this is anything but.

I also picked up the easy work trousers in navy. The photos on the website make these out to be an almost garment dyed deep navy, with a soft, slub'y workwear feel (kind of like the OrSlow French work pant). Well, in reality the navy is pretty ordinary and the material is not soft or slub'y. They feel more like a chino. Again, for £60... disappointing.

I also picked up the mainline relaxed fit ankle length cords because of the great reviews and found them poor. I guess for £20 i shouldn't expect much, but the cord is just really bad. The sizing is weird too. I picked up a medium without really thinking and they run small. The website says the actual waist measurement for a medium is 30"?! Mine actually measure 28" and there's almost no give in the elastic. Odd.

Overall my experience with Uniqlo is going down hill. I wish they spent more time on refining quality and fit instead of all these high profile collabs they've got carried away with. It's been said a million times before, but looking back at the quality of early U, and comparing it to the collabs now, its night and day. I think i'll end up spending more in Arket now, which is really improving here in Europe. They're a bit more pricey but i've been impressed.

Yeah, Uniqlo sizing is a bit weird, and quality is so so, in my opinion. I agree with you.

Mishathebeer

Reaction score
how is the quality of the vintage chinos nowadays
i got a pair from years ago and they held very well over the years
but i can use a new green one
seams they dont make them in slim fit anymore

chrfi

Reaction score
Any idea how I could get the Asia fit socks to Europe? Where could I buy them? The Uniqlo Supima Asian Fit socks are my favorites, but now due to corona I've not travelled and my stock is running... thin!-)

marcxy

Reaction score
My 2cents with the WM parka:

I understand the oversized look but it still looks a bit odd to me unless you pair the parka with loose bottoms (I'm looking at you Nanamica japan). Also, I'm feeling this is more form over function. The hem is so open that wind will get in. I'm 5'10, 39" chest.

Medium: A bit long - hits my crotch. The shoulder/arm hole area was comfortable with a uniqlo fleece underneath. Looks real good unzipped. When zipped up, must tighten the hem, otherwise, stomach area is billowy. Sleeves are long. Must velcro wrist. With just a shirt underneath, doesn't look sloppy.

Small: Slightly oversized. Length is good. The shoulder/arm hole area is semi snug with a uniqlo fleece underneath - got to adjust so that you dont feel pressure underneath your upper arm. No need to tighten hem. Overall, my preferred size.

I love the techwear look of the item. Quality feels top tier. I was expecting a nylon shell, but the polyester was a good call. Very comfortable and good for chill evenings. Would highly recommend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads