• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrink1061

Reaction score
ironically i'm not a fan of suede heel inners. I find that if theres a tiny bit of heel movement, all the suede does is grip my sock and make my sock rub against the back of my foot painfully. A smooth cotton / wool / silk sock against smooth leather just moves a little and causes me much less irritation in the long term.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen

In my case is official that Vass does not answer my request for sizing advice. Maybe someone in this thread can help me.

I am interested in the Norweger in *P last or Austerity Brogues in R last but since I live in Peru it will be impossible (or very very expenssive) returning them.

I use:
- Churchs 10.5 F in 173
- Loake 10.5 F in Capital last
- Merrmin 10.5 in Hoak and in Hiro (a tad snug)
- Alfred Sargent in 99F (a tad snug)

Thanks and regards

shrink1061

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen

In my case is official that Vass does not answer my request for sizing advice. Maybe someone in this thread can help me.

I am interested in the Norweger in *P last or Austerity Brogues in R last but since I live in Peru it will be impossible (or very very expenssive) returning them.

I use:
- Churchs 10.5 F in 173

Thanks and regards

interesting as I also find 99f a tiny bit snug in my usual size albeit not badly so. Again very similar to the width on the K last. but by event account the P last is more generous so would imagine a straight conversion to your true size would fit fine.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen

I use:
- Churchs 10.5 F in 173

Thanks and regards
I own the the Norweger in the P last, I normally take 9.5UK in Church's, Loake, Barker's, and 9.5UK is perfect in the P last. So true to your 'normal' size.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting as I also find 99f a tiny bit snug in my usual size albeit not badly so. Again very similar to the width on the K last. but by event account the P last is more generous so would imagine a straight conversion to your true size would fit fine.

Those small nuances in shoes lasts are painfull when is dificult to return shoes.

I own the the Norweger in the P last, I normally take 9.5UK in Church's, Loake, Barker's, and 9.5UK is perfect in the P last. So true to your 'normal' size.

Great, therefore and according to some size guide checked, 10.5UK = 44.5 Euro for Vass.

Thank you both, regards

shrink1061

Reaction score
I guess I'm fortunate that for some reason i really don't mind a slightly snug toe box, even though I also seem to find wider shoes comfortable. I guess it's about the shoe and the nature of its use. I don't mind a Norweigan or Brogue being wider and chunkier and the extra space can be comfortable in a long walk. But i also don't have an issue squeezing into a K last or an AS99 last in my standard size either. The only shoe I've ever had to "size up" on is a G&G, but it's well known that they consistently run half a size small.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I need your educated opinions. I took advantage of the Vass discounts and experimented via blind purchases (but informed ones, thanks to SF) with new lasts. I got 5 pairs, all of which were under 300 EUR, and I got lucky with the fit. 4 are flawless, nothing to suggest they wouldd be factory seconds. My question concerns the 5th arrival. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I am attaching several thousand.

I would appreciate your opinion on the following:

a) Based on your knowledge, will this impact durability (e.g. can the leather in between the holes burst? This area isn't subjected to the stresses of stretching)?
b) Have you had similar experience with Vass, and how was it resolved?
c) Given the amount paid - 280 EUR, what is a reasonable course to pursue?

I don't expect perfection and am not a ritualist when it comes to the irrelevant fixings such as bags and boxes. With respect to the shoe itself, I am okay with minor imperfections so long as they don't impact aesthetics to a considerable extent (I am okay with being the sole judge here), function and durability. It's the latter two criteria I am concerned about. Thank you.

NOTE: I am attaching the side shot just for the sake of a complete picture about this acquisition. They HAVE BEEN tested. Other than that the leather sole and the inside look intact. Another interesting thing, to some at least: The shoes were made on March 6, 2020 by ALBI.

Attachments

• 117325228_579769989381074_6798527152583841176_n.jpg
    117325228_579769989381074_6798527152583841176_n.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 85
  • 117355376_1177487872618283_7384256294106438937_n.jpg
    117355376_1177487872618283_7384256294106438937_n.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 117696343_3314097495314444_977485095865319631_n.jpg
    117696343_3314097495314444_977485095865319631_n.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 117590854_792769068194364_7522204800919484930_n.jpg
    117590854_792769068194364_7522204800919484930_n.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

jayteee

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I need your educated opinions. I took advantage of the Vass discounts and experimented via blind purchases (but informed ones, thanks to SF) with new lasts. I got 5 pairs, all were under 300 EUR. All fit great (talk about luck), 4 are flawless, nothing to suggest they would be factory seconds. My question concerns the 5th arrival. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I am sending several thousand words via images, and would like to know:

a) Based on your knowledge, will this impact durability (e.g. can the leather in between the holes burst? This area isn't subjected to the stresses of stretching)?

I don't expect perfection and am not a ritualist when it comes to the irrelevant fixings such as bags and boxes. With respect to shoe itself, I am okay with minor imperfections so long as they don't impact aesthetics to a considerable extent, function and durability. It's the latter two criteria I am concerned with. Thank you for your opinions.

NOTE: I am attaching the side shot just for the sake of the complete picture about this acquisition. They HAVE BEEN tested. Other than that the leather sole as well as the inside look intact. Another interesting thing: The shoes were made on March 6, 2020 by ALBI.
To me that looks like cracked leather, not cracked polish, which would be acceptable. New shoes shouldn't have that problem. And since it's conspicuous on the toe, it's hard to hide. Those are the very definition of "seconds." I would return them and ask for another pair. Vass made a mistake, and, if they saw those photos, would likely agree with your concerns.

(As for the names of the shoemakers scrawled in the shoes, I've come to the conclusion that "Albi" and "Atilla" are the finishers or final inspectors. They are the only names that have appeared in all the shoes I've bought out of what is supposed to be 15-20 shoemakers.)

Last edited:

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I need your educated opinions. I took advantage of the Vass discounts and experimented via blind purchases (but informed ones, thanks to SF) with new lasts. I got 5 pairs, all of which were under 300 EUR, and I got lucky with the fit. 4 are flawless, nothing to suggest they wouldd be factory seconds. My question concerns the 5th arrival. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I am attaching several thousand.

I don't expect perfection and am not a ritualist when it comes to the irrelevant fixings such as bags and boxes. With respect to the shoe itself, I am okay with minor imperfections so long as they don't impact aesthetics to a considerable extent (I am okay with being the sole judge here), function and durability. It's the latter two criteria I am concerned about. Thank you.

NOTE: I am attaching the side shot just for the sake of a complete picture about this acquisition. They HAVE BEEN tested. Other than that the leather sole and the inside look intact. Another interesting thing, to some at least: The shoes were made on March 6, 2020 by ALBI.
They look like factory seconds to me. Would I bother trying to send them back to Vass; no. I would take it on the chin and move on. As you noted, 4 out of 5 were perfect.

Last edited:

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks like the leather split during lasting. My opinion:

1) Decide whether you are happy wearing them based on how they look. If not, stop, and return.

2). Contact Vass and get their assurance that they will fix/replace if it gets worse. If you can't get a prompt response, return.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
All valid points, and thank you for them. I guess the most prudent thing now is to see what Vass has to say, if any, and take it from there.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly a little bit puzzled that these were even shipped out in the first place. That cracking is completely noticeable and on the toe of the shoe. It's not like it was on the heel or somewhere less conspicuous

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I'm honestly a little bit puzzled that these were even shipped out in the first place. That cracking is completely noticeable and on the toe of the shoe. It's not like it was on the heel or somewhere less conspicuous
This should not have passed their sieve, I agree. Perhaps the staffer who released them forgot their glasses at home?

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All valid points, and thank you for them. I guess the most prudent thing now is to see what Vass has to say, if any, and take it from there.

Obviously not ideal and if you'd payed full retail I would send back 100%. Considering the price, I wouldn't bother personally especially if they fit well and you like the style. Just pack polish into the cracks and enjoy the character that develops on the toes as a result.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads