• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Yours in an interesting take.

When I first got the shoe bug, used shoes were the only way I felt I could afford to satisfy my shoe jones. At that time I had a few however flawed but still rules, never buy loafers because folks tend to wear them with no socks. Only buy used ones that passed my particular, “ok those look like they haven’t been worn too much,” test. Paying more $250 for a pair of shoes was insane to me then.

Flash forward a few years to a man that now, has a dedicated exclusively for storage bedroom full of purchased brand new shoes, some approaching a cost of $3000.
For me it was an evolutionary journey to developing my tastes. Also for me, your characterization of tastes is moot, as taste is merely subjective. I find it comical for one to stand atop their hill looking down at others and declaring, you have no taste....lol

It's not every day that one gets rebuked for indelicate speech by someone who mentions he has a roomful of $3000 shoes :)

Your charge of my looking down on others is unfair. I wrote my opinion about a hobby which, as evidenced in the discussion, knows no class. Someone who's willing to pay $350 for used JL shoes is not actuated by poverty. He is driven by his taste, as a reflection of his views on quality and aesthetic standard. Taste in a narrow sense (the one that answers the question "does this look good?") is subjective, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it (on styleforum.net!) or polemicize about it. In my view shoes purchasing habits should derive from hygiene, shoemakers' recommendations, the idea of value for money, and (most importantly) podiatry. But that is me and whenever there is a market for something that doesn't harm others, I'm all for people pleasing themselves all the way.

Last edited:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole buying used shoe's comes down to risk acceptance.

I have seen this same thing play out over the years on car forums I have been on. People sell used parts, exhaust, suspension, wheels, tires ect. The people that buy them accept the risk that they are no longer new, and they in most cases do so because they are either living a little bit beyond their means, or they rationalize it in their heads that the savings from buying used can be passed onto another car part in the quest to build their dream.

Same concept with this used shoe game, if you can afford $300-$500 used shoes, you can easily save money for a few more weeks and buy the same shoes new. Some people do not have the patients to wait, or they see that savings as money to be able to afford a second pair, or they merely just don't want to pass a certain price point, but want a particular shoe.

To each their own, if people want to accept the risk of ruined shoes or catching athlete's foot who are we to judge. We are not supposed to be here passing judgement on someone unless they asked for your opinion on a particular matter.

jayteee

Reaction score
It's not every day that one gets rebuked for indelicate speech by someone who mentions he has a roomful of $3000 shoes :)

Your charge of my looking down on others is unfair. I wrote my opinion about a hobby which, as evidenced in the discussion, knows no class. Someone who's willing to pay $350 for used JL shoes is not actuated by poverty. He is driven by his taste, as a reflection of his views on quality and aesthetic standard. Taste in a narrow sense (the one that answers the question "does this look good?") is subjective, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it (on styleforum.net!) or polemicize about it. In my view shoes purchasing habits should derive from hygiene, shoemakers' recommendations, the idea of value for money, and (most importantly) podiatry. But that is me and whenever there is a market for something that doesn't harm others, I'm all for people pleasing themselves all the way.
I have bought used shoes worn about 10 times with few visible flaws. They're a good deal, and a good way to sample a brand without paying full price. By doing so I decided that while I love the Crockett and Jones I bought for $80, I wouldn't pay full price for a new pair when worthy competitors like Vass are available for $200 less.

The biggest problem with used, IMO, is that the cork foot bed is shaped to another foot and pokes you in the wrong places.

jayteee

Reaction score
Hey, here's some info on another pair of 50-percent-off Vass I got today:

---The right size came this time and they fit perfectly and comfortably out of the box.
--- The shoes were made two years ago (9/18). That probably explains the sales price. It's old inventory.
--- The quality is better than that of other Vass I've bought. The stitching is tight and regular. The leather has no veins or discoloration. So the half off shoes don't appear to be "seconds."
--- This model is a wingtip on the P2 last called the Budapest. As many of you may know, not all P2 models are created equal: The Budapest style and the "London" derbies are relatively sleek and resemble the F last. Other styles, like the Theresianer, are more bulbous, despite being on the same P2 last.
--- The "antique cognac" appears light- to medium brown in person. It's like coffee with a bit of cream in it. Goes best with tan and light gray pants.
--- 220 euros was a steal

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I have bought used shoes worn about 10 times with few visible flaws. They're a good deal, and a good way to sample a brand without paying full price. By doing so I decided that while I love the Crockett and Jones I bought for $80, I wouldn't pay full price for a new pair when worthy competitors like Vass are available for $200 less.

The biggest problem with used, IMO, is that the cork foot bed is shaped to another foot and pokes you in the wrong places.

I bought a gently used Isaia jacket some time ago, and I'l be damned if I am not noticing, two years into dilligently airing it and wearing at nights of heavy wind, the cigarette odor slowly going away. :)

I'm trying to say that I'm not opposed to second-hand market per se. Only some items I'll gladly leave to others. And rather than informing me that shoes are analogous to hotels and homes, they should thank me for not raising the market price for those items. But try to find gratitude in this world.

Last edited:

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Hey, here's some info on another pair of 50-percent-off Vass I got today:

---The right size came this time and they fit perfectly and comfortably out of the box.
--- The shoes were made two years ago (9/18). That probably explains the sales price. It's old inventory.
--- The quality is better than that of other Vass I've bought. The stitching is tight and regular. The leather has no veins or discoloration. So the half off shoes don't appear to be "seconds."
--- This model is a wingtip on the P2 last called the Budapest. As many of you may know, not all P2 models are created equal: The Budapest style and the "London" derbies are relatively sleek and resemble the F last. Other styles, like the Theresianer, are more bulbous, despite being on the same P2 last.
--- The "antique cognac" appears light- to medium brown in person. It's like coffee with a bit of cream in it. Goes best with tan and light gray pants.
--- 220 euros was a steal

I am sitting in a cafe now wearing what you might be describing.

Attachments

• 116905638_211514510297308_121378488713212866_n.jpg
    116905638_211514510297308_121378488713212866_n.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 127

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Exactly! I hope you are satisfied, too.

You bet I am. I got four pieces of Vass in the past month. I love them all, except my F last F width monks need some stretching across forefoot (It will be good, I've been here before, but the P2 width in the front is ideal, and I should have never gone with the F.) As for P2, it's not the most elegant last, in my view. But what I lose on it in elegance I gain in comfort. And you are correct, not every P2 feels the same. Budapest in my experience is tighter than Theresianer and London across the ball and waist, making it the most elegant of the P2s I had. London feels best out of the box, and is possibly my most comfortable shoe. While as for the Theresianer, it feels good immediately, but I wouldn't want it to get any looser, and I am afraid it might. I took advantage of the low prices to experiment with different lasts and styles, and I cannot be happier with what were my first "blind" shoe purchases.

My Budapest does however feel a tad like a factory second, or, you be the judge, and perhaps tell me if you see the same on yours: On my right foot the outer quarter appears to be positioned slightly lower than it should be, perhaps half a milimeter than on the left shoe. This skews the lacing a bit, but in a way that I actually like. I can't tell if this was done on purpose, and I have noticed similar imperfections on 1st quality shoes... Even stranger, now that I'm looking at my shoes and getting my camera ready to show you exactly what I mean, everything seems to be fine.

This pair however, unlike the rest I purchased, appears to be stiffer, with a slightly higher heel, and will require more hours to break in. My Braided London P2 was markedly softer and heavenly after about an hour of walk.

The dark cognac is lovely, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Against my earlier opinion I went ahead and shoved Size 42 shoe trees into size 40.5 F-last (they were painfully narrow). They stretched in 24 hours to be almost perfect. So I am learning these 'new Vass' lasts are very stretchy. I am guessing with a bit of pain & ingenuity or both one can break them in very fast.

willyto

Reaction score
For those who have tried or worn Peter last in loafers how does it compare to the F last? Same sizing?

sforum1

Reaction score
Against my earlier opinion I went ahead and shoved Size 42 shoe trees into size 40.5 F-last (they were painfully narrow). They stretched in 24 hours to be almost perfect. So I am learning these 'new Vass' lasts are very stretchy. I am guessing with a bit of pain & ingenuity or both one can break them in very fast.
I'm interested to learn more about this. First, how much smaller were the shoes to begin with, and second what kind of trees did you use? I imagine not Vass trees, but a generic pair?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Few things just for specificity....I only wish I had a room full of $3000 shoes, the room is full of shoes with a few that approach the number. Also your remarks quoted a Vass sold item, not JL. My remarks in regard to your comments are not indicated to imply you should not engage in conversation. Indeed, we are engaged in conversation, it was simply a critique of your haughty esteem for your view of what “taste” is. I think it’s great that you have a view, but you should know that if you do make it known on sf, others may disagree, or even find it comical.

I wish you well in your purchase of new tasteful shoes. It’s great that you know why you purchase them. However I must point out again, the idea that you can know the definitive reasons that motivate others that purchase a used shoe, is comical.

sforum1

Reaction score
Few things just for specificity....I only wish I had a room full of $3000 shoes, the room is full of shoes with a few that approach the number. Also your remarks quoted a Vass sold item, not JL. My remarks in regard to your comments are not indicated to imply you should not engage in conversation. Indeed, we are engaged in conversation, it was simply a critique of your haughty esteem for your view of what “taste” is. I think it’s great that you have a view, but you should know that if you do make it known on sf, others may disagree, or even find it comical.

I wish you well in your purchase of new tasteful shoes. It’s great that you know why you purchase them. However I must point out again, the idea that you can know the definitive reasons that motivate others that purchase a used shoe, is comical.
why stop at $3000 and why only one room?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads