• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the input, guys. I'll stick with the 44.

mct358

Reaction score

They beautiful! I can see a fellow Nordic man opting for the Dainite sole for our lovely slushy and snowvy streets filled with ice and that killer sand treatment :)

Did you go get them from the shop in Budapest or ordered some other way?

Junior

Reaction score
They beautiful! I can see a fellow Nordic man opting for the Dainite sole for our lovely slushy and snowvy streets filled with ice and that killer sand treatment :)

Did you go get them from the shop in Budapest or ordered some other way?

Ordered via e-mail through Mr Kuti. He really is a pleasure to deal with.

Killer boots @Junior

Thx
biggrin.gif
@RogerP

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just a novice question: what V are you guys talking about and where can I get "V for dummies" beginners course?
Some makers will try to build an oxford so that when you lace it up, the edges under the laces are perfectly parallel and touch lightly. That's a very custom look, as it's almost impossible to find RTW. Others will, to one degree or another, leave a little opening at the top so that when you lace up there is a "V" instead of a "ll". That allows for a little more control over the fit over the instep, and permits some stretching.

mct358

Reaction score
Some makers will try to build an oxford so that when you lace it up, the edges under the laces are perfectly parallel and touch lightly. That's a very custom look, as it's almost impossible to find RTW. Others will, to one degree or another, leave a little opening at the top so that when you lace up there is a "V" instead of a "ll". That allows for a little more control over the fit over the instep, and permits some stretching.
OK got it. Thanks! That was a valuable piece of information which I never had before, appreciated.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why you gotta make my throat look bad?

That's the pair I'll be ordering.

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The V doesn't bother me at all. It sits under the hem and a shoe with a V will always be able to be laced tightly. A shoe without a V may not always. That said, the reality is, these Vass just fit me unbelievably well.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There should be a gap for closed laced shoes as bespoke shoemakers accounts for break-in. At least mine all did.

New closed lacing shoes should not have ll or closed completely. It will be too lose when worn.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There should be a gap for closed laced shoes as bespoke shoemakers accounts for break-in. At least mine all did.

New closed lacing shoes should not have ll or closed completely. It will be too lose when worn.

+1

That's right...I like to see 3/8' -1/2" gap at the top of the facings when the shoe is new and laced snug. Take my word for it, unless they are made of stout stuff and heavily reinforced in the facings, they will stretch with time and wearing and eventually close up so close together that the laces will not be able to hold the foot securely in the shoe.

Last edited:

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my VASS oxfords fit snug with the facings almost close in both calf and shell, has been this way from day one to this day after repeated wearings.

Staffer18283

Reaction score

S Last with some chiseled friends. My initially reaction when I saw its pics was that it was similar to TG73 / MH71. Now that I have it in person, it seems pretty different. It reminds me of a very specific last from another maker which I dont own - does anyone think it looks like the C&J 348?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads