• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Size up to fit width is the most common cause of ill fitting shoes.

That's very true...a big :fonz: for that.

That said, sizes can be meaningless. They are just a number printed on the side of the last. And while there is a (supposed) standard...both national and international...it's not law and there is no sizing police.

As regards to size, a last is what the model maker says it is. And the model maker will stamp any size on a last according to the wishes of the customer.

Bottom line is that length sizes are generally regarded as a relatively good indicator of where the ball of the foot will socket. And that's probably the most critical measurement there is for health and comfort. Sizing up lengthwise to get width is a recipe for ill fitting shoes simply because it forces the foot to bend unnaturally with regard to the "treadline" on the last.

On the other hand, wider lasts in a given size do tend to be longer...although perhaps not much and only in the forepart--which preserves the all important heel to ball length.

--

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

Could someone with 43.5 or 44 in F last measure outsole length? I asked for 43.5 and now that I have worn mine a few times, they feel like a 44, which is not my proper F-last size.

Thanks

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello Gents,

Could someone with 43.5 or 44 in F last measure outsole length? I asked for 43.5 and now that I have worn mine a few times, they feel like a 44, which is not my proper F-last size.

Thanks
Are they longer than your other 43.5s?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which last is that on the dark brown punched captoe? Great looking shoe.

thelonius

Reaction score
That's very true...a big
fing02[1].gif
for that.

That said, sizes can be meaningless. They are just a number printed on the side of the last. And while there is a (supposed) standard...both national and international...it's not law and there is no sizing police.

As regards to size, a last is what the model maker says it is. And the model maker will stamp any size on a last according to the wishes of the customer.

Bottom line is that length sizes are generally regarded as a relatively good indicator of where the ball of the foot will socket. And that's probably the most critical measurement there is for health and comfort. Sizing up lengthwise to get width is a recipe for ill fitting shoes simply because it forces the foot to bend unnaturally with regard to the "treadline" on the last.

On the other hand, wider lasts in a given size do tend to be longer...although perhaps not much and only in the forepart--which preserves the all important heel to ball length.

--

All true, but DWFII ignores the great efforts over the last few decades that have been made to standardize sizes. Check out http://www.satra.co.uk/bulletin/article_view.php?id=877. In fact DWFII responds from the point of view of an artisan. Most of the firms now operating internationally will have their lasts produced according to the satra standards.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

All true, but DWFII ignores the great efforts over the last few decades that have been made to standardize sizes. Check out http://www.satra.co.uk/bulletin/article_view.php?id=877. In fact DWFII responds from the point of view of an artisan. Most of the firms now operating internationally will have their lasts produced according to the satra standards.

I don't know what your point is except as a bone of contention, perhaps.

I recognized that there was a putative standard...what part of "[COLOR=FF0000]And while there is a (supposed) standard...both national and international...[/COLOR]" isn't translating?

I worked closely with a very good modelmaker who started, owned, and ran Global Footwear Solutions (an independent last maker) until about three years ago. He worked at Sterling Last, Jones and Vining, and now works for Nike.

He helped develop several of the leading technology systems used in the footwear industry today including Jones & Vining's Compu-Last
00ae.png
(Brockton, MA), Strategies' Romans CAD
2122.png
software (Paris, France), and the lightbeam
00ae.png
3D fit solution suite from corpus.e (Stuttgart, Germany).

Much of what I know about lasts...beyond 40+ years of personal experience...comes from him.

At one point in time he had an online system that would let you plug in a model number and a specific size and you would get a read-out of all the gory details--the length of the last, the heel height, the toe spring, the degree in the heel, the joint girth, the seat width, the tread width, the waist and instep girths, etc. . Or you could reverse the process and plug in desired last lengths or heel seat widths, etc..

No two last models ever read the same in a given size.

Granted, these were models that were grandfathered into the system--models such as old and venerable West End lasts created in the 1930's.

The US lastmaking industry was one of the first and most vociferous in pushing standardization. Much of which serves to homogenize the architecture of lasts so that they may be used in industry (so that machines can do the work)--erasing idiosyncratic "features" and styling details such as folks obsess about here on SF.

It's worth noting as well, that to this day there is a discrepancy between French, British , European and American sizing standards. So any talk of a universal and even remotely absolute standard is premature at best.

IMO

--

Last edited:

etostano

Reaction score
Is it possible to tell size (incl. width) from markings on a pair of Vass shoes? I have recently bought a pair secondhand that fit very well and want to confirm before ordering any others.

The soles appear to be marked "43 -" (I cannot be sure the dash is original but given it appears neatly on both soles I believe it is), and the inside of the right shoe is marked "0008 12 10" and "ALB1" on separate lines.

They are on the U last and were advertised as a 43, which I was concerned might be to small for my foot, so I am trying to verify whether they are a wide fitting or perhaps a 43.5.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads