• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vass French Calf is superior than EG and GG crust-state or what ever leather state they came in.  The finishing of Vass French calf requires no messing around with burnishing or fancy patina.
It they had the time, then aesthetically Vass would touch another level.  Honestly, some of EG patina and burnishing is a joke nowadays, its a few finger dabble on the toe cap - it looks so high volumn to a point of hitting Church low standard.

The Vass calf doesn't lose its deep rich colour and you only need a damp cloth and some cream to keep it moisturised and soft...

You speak very highly about their shoes. It makes me very looking forward to my first Vass shoe next month.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 quotes to give you the bare maximum in life...

“It is easier to do many things than to do one thing continuously for a long time.”
Marcus Fabius Quintilian Quotes

“My philosophy? Simplicity plus variety.”
Hank Stram Quotes
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

You became my favorite member.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love those shoes rikod - I would SO take them off your hands if they were my size. Shell in that colour is very high on my want list.

ilovelobbs - thanks for all the good info throughout. I suspect some of the G&G and EG crowd would go ballistic over some of your comments, but nobody can question that you have a valid frame of reference.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 quotes to give you the bare maximum in life...

“It is easier to do many things than to do one thing continuously for a long time.”

Marcus Fabius Quintilian Quotes

“My philosophy? Simplicity plus variety.”

Hank Stram Quotes

Excellent!

Love those shoes rikod - I would SO take them off your hands if they were my size.  Shell in that colour is very high on my want list.

Thanks, saddle shell is a wonderful color, I really dislike the natural soles, I don't understand why they send them like that, but that's an easy fix, the mistake in the leather was too much.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... I know peeps are probaly getting sick of this pic, but these are, left to right, K, F, U last. ...
Not sure how anyone here can get sick of this pic :bigstar:
Will skip VASS since I can't try them in real life. WIll pick me up a pair in C&J and GG instead, safe side since I know my size.
This does make some sense; fit is key, also in shoes. But then again, once you nailed the size, you're good to go. A former (very) senior member here advised me to just give it a shot and if your first pair don't work out, you can always sell them here. I was lucky the first time around and have not looked back.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone here can get sick of this pic
bigstar[1].gif

This does make some sense; fit is key, also in shoes. But then again, once you nailed the size, you're good to go. A former (very) senior member here advised me to just give it a shot and if your first pair don't work out, you can always sell them here. I was lucky the first time around and have not looked back.
Or if the vendor allows returns, you are only out the cost of shipping to get your size right going forward. Vass shoes are such a tremendous value relative to shoes of comparable quality, it's not a huge one-time risk to take, IMO.

Thanks re. the pic.
smile.gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If GG; EG; C&J Benchgrade; SCrispin; Lobb Prestige and Vass were the same price point - superiority in terms of:

Construction
1) Vass
2) SC & Lobb Prestige
3) EG & GG
4) C&J's

Leather Grade
1) Lobb Prestige
2) Vass
3) SC & GG
4) EG
5) C&J's

Refinement
1) Lobb Prestige
2) SC/GG
3) Vass/EG
4) C&J's

Aesthetic
Personal Taste.

Very interesting; is this all from personal experience?

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as we've been having a lot of activity lately around these parts, can anyone comment on sizing between the F and P2 lasts? Half a size down? or same size?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If GG; EG; C&J Benchgrade; SCrispin; Lobb Prestige and Vass were the same price point - superiority in terms of:

Construction
1) Vass
2) SC & Lobb Prestige
3) EG & GG
4) C&J's

Leather Grade
1) Lobb Prestige
2) Vass
3) SC & GG
4) EG
5) C&J's

Refinement
1) Lobb Prestige
2) SC/GG
3) Vass/EG
4) C&J's

Aesthetic
Personal Taste.

There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
NORE - fascinating statement...feel free to start anywhere.

I am keen to expand on the above list and have a constructive conversation in a creative manner.
I am happy to back my list based on insight, experience, knowledge and ownership of ALL
the above shoes.

Here's addition to my list.
Aesthetically - Berluti's
Value for Money - Vass
Overall personal favourite - Lobb

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How would you rank? For leather quality, durability is an important factor, IMO. Personally, I would have to put JL at the bottom there. Very nice to start with, but is really a high maintenance leather to keep from cracking. EG suffers from the same issue, I have observed. Couldn't comment on durability for SC or GG, as I have only experienced them new (or at least relatively new).

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But how good is really lobb? It seems they where better before then now, no?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics