1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

New K-Last, whats all that about???

2. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

A bit confusing; he seems to be referring to U- and K-last in the same offer. Since K is not offered on Vass' website, my guess this is a U-last.

3. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

+1 - Ascot Shoes owner's first name starts with the letter 'K', perhaps that's where it comes from. don't look diff to U IMO

4. pkiula

pkiula Senior member

K-last is the new Vass last, being made in a first-ever batch for Isetan in Tokyo.

I've seen them in the Vass warehouse in Budapest above the shop. These shoes are a bit sleeker in the front than the U-last and have a beveled toe (for the lack of a better word). The pics you see on the Ascot shoes ebay site are indeed K-last.

I think this new last will be announced soon. Not sure when. The officer who showed me the samples (which look EVEN better than the U-last, if that were possible) didn't know the formal release data.

At any rate, I won't be holding my breath to have the release on the website. It's clearly not a terribly high priority on their to-do list. You can write to Vass though and expect a better response than speculating here.

HTH.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

oops, a few weeks ago, when i've been to mr. berta's workshop (archive pic)

[​IMG]

i saw a last labeled U-last/japan. i do not remember if isetan was also written on it. actually i did neither bother enough to ask nor to take a pic. actually, it's very likely that i saw one of the prototype lasts.

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

my bad, I can see it now in this blurry pic: the K is rounded at the toe as u say- more 'Deco', and maybe more symmetrical

Hey when u were in Buda u get any insight on why Ascot shoes is getting all the less attractive Vass leather combinations (see Ascot's site) discussed a few pages ago?
    -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

no worries. i cannot see that...

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

came to my mind either...

9. pkiula

pkiula Senior member

It is certainly more deco (as in G&G).

I find the U-last fairly symmetric too. The K-last is symmetric but narrower and a bit beveled at the very tip.

Personally, given the choice, I would prefer K-last. Sharper, even trendier. I find that the U-last, if observed from the top (i.e., the vantage point of the wearer), appears a bit stunted.

That's why almost all the pics of the U-last shoes that get people swooning on threads like this one are taken *from the front*, at nearly the same height as the shoe itself. But this is hardly how the world and you will experience your shoes. So to me, U-last is a bit disappointing when seen in real life.

K-last fixes that. It's one mean classy cut.

10. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Many thanks; very interesting.

Good observation; I think I agree with this. However, if the wearer is only seeing the 'less attractive' side, does it really matter, as "the world" will still see it as one classy shoe?

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

That shoe in a US9- 10 has got to look ridiculous. Why are mens shoes being made to resemble women's shoes :confused: the double sole, very slim elongated last, almost looks like a women's platform shoe. Next up in mens dress shoes, peek toes!

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

K last far far better than the U last with it's squared toe.

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

dislike both. F baby.

14. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

15. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

F and P2 per moi.