• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jokb

Reaction score
I think a pair of chukkas would look stunning in these!

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just stopped into the store on my honeymoon a few weeks ago and I think between the customer service, language barrier, and pricing I'll go through Notch next time I procure a pair of Vass. Seems like there's a big Reszo-shaped hole in the chain now :/

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just stopped into the store on my honeymoon a few weeks ago and I think between the customer service, language barrier, and pricing I'll go through Notch next time I procure a pair of Vass. Seems like there's a big Reszo-shaped hole in the chain now :/
Congratulations!

markeronee

Reaction score
Anyone knows any way to contact vass such that they will reply? I just received a pair of shoes and there were some problems with the leather.

There was a small patch of like decolorization so I'm trying to contact them about it:(

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

thelonius

Reaction score
I have just bought through Vass's online store a pair of 1040s on the Peter last. This is the first pair of Vass that I have purchased, and I have to say that I was prompted to do so by the sale price of this pair (around 400 euros), not being familiar with Vass last sizes. They fit very well. I have not really started wearing them yet; however, I have to admit to being possibly slightly disappointed by the quality of the leather of the uppers, including the linings, which seems to be thin and not the quality I'm used to seeing on ... C&J's for example. However, I guess it's early days and I have to start wearing them. The thing that is bugging me now is that there seems to be some speculation on the web (not taking too much notice, evidently, of things one reads on it) as to whether or not all Vass's shoes are actually hand welted - that there may be some GY welted models being sold by Vass. The hand-welting aspect was an important reason for this first purchase and I hope it's not the case. Can anyone reading this Vass forum have any reason to doubt Vass's claim that all their production are welted by hand?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just bought through Vass's online store a pair of 1040s on the Peter last. This is the first pair of Vass that I have purchased, and I have to say that I was prompted to do so by the sale price of this pair (around 400 euros), not being familiar with Vass last sizes. They fit very well. I have not really started wearing them yet; however, I have to admit to being possibly slightly disappointed by the quality of the leather of the uppers, including the linings, which seems to be thin and not the quality I'm used to seeing on ... C&J's for example. However, I guess it's early days and I have to start wearing them. The thing that is bugging me now is that there seems to be some speculation on the web (not taking too much notice, evidently, of things one reads on it) as to whether or not all Vass's shoes are actually hand welted - that there may be some GY welted models being sold by Vass. The hand-welting aspect was an important reason for this first purchase and I hope it's not the case. Can anyone reading this Vass forum have any reason to doubt Vass's claim that all their production are welted by hand?

There are some here who have visited the Vass workshop. I haven't, but I've seen many pictures and videos. There are NO machines there, other than singer sewing machine for uppers. Yes, everything is done by hand. I honestly can't imagine them outsourcing to a Goodyear setup factory (if there even is one in Budapest) just to make lower cost RTWs. Seems like that would be more trouble and cost than just making everything in house.

I have noticed that Vass shoes are lighter than Aldens or Carminas (both GYW btw) for sure. In fact, all my handweltrd shoes are lighter than my GYWs, for what that's worth.

BTW, are you a musician? Or a fan of TSM?

thelonius

Reaction score
There are some here who have visited the Vass workshop. I haven't, but I've seen many pictures and videos. There are NO machines there, other than singer sewing machine for uppers. Yes, everything is done by hand. I honestly can't imagine them outsourcing to a Goodyear setup factory (if there even is one in Budapest) just to make lower cost RTWs. Seems like that would be more trouble and cost than just making everything in house.

I have noticed that Vass shoes are lighter than Aldens or Carminas (both GYW btw) for sure. In fact, all my handweltrd shoes are lighter than my GYWs, for what that's worth.

BTW, are you a musician? Or a fan of TSM?

Thanks Peppercorn78. You have reassured me and I'm sure you're right.

I am just an amateur musician, and do love TSM, but I play sax not piano. Always loved that name!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not know where you heard about Lazso Vass GYW shoes, but it sounds ridiculous. Upper leather and lining is really good IMO and it is very easy to check if your shoes are HW (check the dimples in the insole). And yes, they are lighter to those GYW, as pepper mentioned.
Congrats for your first Vass.

thelonius

Reaction score
I do not know where you heard about.................

I am convinced you are right. The web site that started to give me doubts was this 2015 thread (http://www.dressedwell.net/threads/has-vass-lost-its-soul.857/page-5). I am not thinking of spending any further time on this site, but it was just the fact that the contributor Chogall had got involved in it that I took some notice. I am sure that Vass shoes are hand made as stated and I'm looking forward to start wearing my pair. I am surprised by their lightness however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads