• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I can definitely confirm LodinG GYW shoes are produced by Carlos Santos - recently of Skoak fame.
Just checked out some LodinG on their website. I quite like their chiseled toes. Do you know if the prices listed on the website are CAD since the domain is .ca?

burgerkong

Reaction score
Really? Based on the Skoat thread, they seem pretty high on Carlos Santos, source the same leather as Carmina with pretty good craftsmanship (although they do stress that they are 2 different products at 2 different price points). The 2 pairs of Loding I have and from the others I've seen at the store I wasn't overly impressed with them. I would put them ahead of AE, but not on the level of Carmina (at the time Loding first opened, they were a bit over $300 and Carmina's were a lot cheaper).

I guess as it stands right now, there are no local choices without having to wait a long time for a sale. I have to say this however - when surfing LodinG's European website, the price is in Euros, hence due to the devaluation, a better deal than buying locally, but in the end after potential duties, the $263 base price becomes $310, and that is if shipping is available to Canada (instead of forcing to buy from the local store). Will have to research that option, as it may be possible to get them to either honour the price.

EDIT: Just threw in a Canadian address into the mix, seems like it'd run us 40€ for shipping, which together with the 180€ base price brings the total to $322. Since VAT is included, duties will most likely not be charged, similar to Velasca. Hell, if you ship it to Asia, you could probably get a VAT refund.

It makes sense. Loding also offers a patina service. So circumstantial evidence supports this theory.

That, and I was looking closely at Skoak's pictures of CS' Adelaide models and comparing that to the 'Heraclee' of LodinG and the lasts are identical, right down to the placement of the stitching. Obviously some corners are cut, as CS' models have some beveling on the waist and presumably better leather.

I agree that at $500 AE and Loake are overpriced; I'd rather spend more and get Carmina at that point. I was lucky to pick up my Carmina black captoes on Boxing Day from LeatherFoot at a really good price so I'd say keep an eye on them. There was a store in Montreal that used to stock Meermin but they were overpriced as well seeing how they charge $800 for Carmina.

Yeah, I am regretting not getting the Carmina's at 20% off. Still even after the discount it was $424 (IIRC) before tax, unless it was a clearance model (the 732's).

Last edited:

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
I checked out Loding during this past summer in their Paris store. Complete crap, GYW or not. Substandard leather, crappy finishing. Better off ordering Septieme Largeur, same shipping cost to Canada, way better quality, nice selection of lasts, including chiselled

Just checked out some LodinG on their website. I quite like their chiseled toes. Do you know if the prices listed on the website are CAD since the domain is .ca?

burgerkong

Reaction score
I checked out Loding during this past summer in their Paris store. Complete crap, GYW or not. Substandard leather, crappy finishing. Better off ordering Septieme Largeur, same shipping cost to Canada, way better quality, nice selection of lasts, including chiselled

SL's run $333 shipped (if I was ordering 2 pairs), plus the 18% duty and 13% taxes run into Carmina territory ($464, shipped to China from Carmina direct or Skoak). It's a slim advantage, but LodinG still has an edge over SL, can't deny that. Of course, paying more means you get more (whether that be quality/service/etc) so I'm not surprised. But at $373 tax in, I think LodinG is hard to beat. SL will run to $436 - however this is just my opinion.

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
YMMV, but I took delivery of nice SL norvegese captoe boots that were 145Euro (remember SL takes off VAT) plus 40 Euro shipping, so that's about 275 CAD, when they arrived I got hit about 75 CAD (duty, GST, PST), so that is 350 CAD, tax in. How is that a Carmina territory? Also, not sure why would you ship to China? This is a Toronto thread, isn't it?

Do you own any LoDing shoes? Have you handled them? It is not even AE level, it more like Aldo category, I don't see any advantage they have over SL or Meermin.

SL's run $333 shipped (if I was ordering 2 pairs), plus the 18% duty and 13% taxes run into Carmina territory ($464, shipped to China from Carmina direct or Skoak). It's a slim advantage, but LodinG still has an edge over SL, can't deny that. Of course, paying more means you get more (whether that be quality/service/etc) so I'm not surprised. But at $373 tax in, I think LodinG is hard to beat. SL will run to $436 - however this is just my opinion.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assumed you've tried on LodinG and AE. What's your take on the quality between these two?

ADub

Reaction score

I assumed you've tried on LodinG and AE. What's your take on the quality between these two? 

I have owned 5 pairs of AE now down to 1 and have handled LodinG in store. Strictly speaking to quality I find AE to use better leather across the board whereas LodinG ranges from decent to good in some models while others leave a lot to be desired. Construction wise both are similar that is to say they are not the most finely finished in terms of the welt but more than adequate for the price, especially at what LodinG retails.

YMMV, but I took delivery of nice SL norvegese captoe boots that were 145Euro (remember SL takes off VAT) plus 40 Euro shipping, so that's about 275 CAD, when they arrived I got hit about 75 CAD (duty, GST, PST), so that is 350 CAD, tax in. How is that a Carmina territory? Also, not sure why would you ship to China? This is a Toronto thread, isn't it?

Do you own any LoDing shoes? Have you handled them? It is not even AE level, it more like Aldo category, I don't see any advantage they have over SL or Meermin.

I agree they are not AE level but wouldn't go so far as to say they are Aldo level. Never handled SL so I won't pass judgment there but I have handled Meermin and feel they are quite comparable in that they are good shoes for the price but the attention to detail is a bit lacking. The one advantage for LodinG, at least to me, is that we are able to try them on in person and assess the quality before making a purchase.

burgerkong

Reaction score

That's a bit harsh don't you think? I'm just saying what my options are, much like how you said you got your grenadine ties in Montreal. This is a Toronto thread yeah?

Secondly, no, I have not had the pleasure of trying on SL. I wasn't aware they refund VAT. Regardless to say that they are Aldo level is severely underrating them, have you held a pair of Aldo's premium Mr. B line? Not even close. What are you basing leather quality on? Suppleness, grain? You honestly think Aldo uses full grain?

Full disclosure, I don't own SL or LodinG. I am just pursuing what we can get locally without having to risk the shoes not fitting and having to ship them back or flip them.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay that much for 7fold Borelli or Kiton, forget about Eton. Eton ties for me should be at $30-40. You can find them at that level 2/ times a year at Harry's
Agree. I don't even think Eton ties deserve that price range. I do get my ties from Harry's sales but I can only enjoy Canali or Drake's (especially their hand-rolled tip ties). Prices should come down to around $80 but the feel from Canali ties are brilliant.

gingham89

Reaction score
I like Canali ties over Eton a lot too. Just feels better and I get better knots. BTW, where do you get your Drake's in Toronto? Or just online?

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Canali ties over Eton a lot too. Just feels better and I get better knots. BTW, where do you get your Drake's in Toronto? Or just online?
I got them online and shipped it to my nearest Harry's for free. The selection of Drake's is limited though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1