1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Yes that's why I'm looking at those BR has but just wondering if there is any other decent brands that offer those? Can't seem to find at Club Monaco or JCrew.

2. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Brooks Brothers Advantage Chinos and they do the trick. I don't generally like anything non-iron, but these are pretty awesome. The materials feel great and they come creased, and keep a crease.

J. Crew seems to have a lot of trousers made of cotton. I prefer the Bowery Classic fit, but if you like things slim, there's these. Not so sure about "stretch", though:

https://www.jcrew.com/ca/mens_category/PantFitGuide/Dress/BowerySlim/PRDOVR~F4031/F4031.jsp

I want to go back to wool trousers for a moment, though. I think some guys over-estimate how much maintenance they require. Wool has a natural anti-microbial quality that really does prevent the need for frequent cleaning. Hang them from the cuff after use and brush them with a clothes brush and you're good to go. Washing cotton pants and having to re-press them yourself is a bit of a hassle IMHO. Wear wool trousers and watch the weather forecast. If you're worried about getting wet, wear the cotton chinos that day. However, I've got caught in the rain with my wool trousers, and after a night's hanging they are back to normal, no other maintenance required. I'm not sure why anyone would consider them fragile either. I'm not wearing super 180s wool trousers.

Read this: http://www.nurturedfamily.com/amazing-properties-of-wool.html

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  3. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

I'm just going to chime in on the cleaning discussion. Get a good quality clothes brush. I recommend Kent. Someone recommended it on here to me a long time ago and I can't thank them enough

4. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Well-Known Member

Agreed with the previous two posts (at least). Good wool pants will last a decent amount before they need dry cleaning, a good brush is essential and a bit of rain is not a problem.

We are now recommending khakis/chinos but the opening post from nqtri said "no chinos"- I hope he changes his mind and gets a couple of pairs of nice non iron dressy ones. I bought mine from Tyrwhitt and they have served me well; easy to dress them up as the hold the crease and overall form nicely.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

You know, I don't have a clothing brush. Where can I pick one up? I remember having a lint brush

6. Chambertin

Chambertin Well-Known Member

Question for you all, because it appears I dry clean my pants too often. I typically will rotate a couple pairs, alternating Mon-Thurs for two weeks, and then I dry clean them. I hang them up carefully each day. A proper clothes brush is top of my list to buy.

But it sounds like I should be dry cleaning them more like 4ish times a year?

I've at least learned to never dry clean my jackets other than winter jackets which I do once a year or even every two years.

7. Omega Man

Omega Man Well-Known Member

8. Ebichuman

I have a large rotation of wool pants and jackets which means I probably clean them once a year usually at the end of the season. A couple of lighter colored items may see the cleaner one more time. If I wear one or two of the heavier items (fall-winter-spring) items more frequently, they may go for cleaning once more, too. Cotton chinos hit the washer as needed.

1 person likes this.
  9. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

I got my brush from Kent's eBay store where they sell the seconds/overstock back when our dollar was worth something. I think it was GBKENT. They have nothing up for sale at the moment but about once a month they post new things.

10. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

I agreed. I think I have some serious overestimation on the maintenance of wool pants and used to think of it as extremely delicate fabric. Your points clear things up and send me back on the wool pant track [​IMG]

I got mine from Muji for like $24 (I think) and it's been great so far.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

yeah call me crazy but I've got say 12 wool pants so a rotation of about 2 weeks and I couldn't be dry cleaning them more than every few months, meaning I put at least every 5-10 uses so yeah like 3 times a year max. Unless i've spilled something or they're particularly dirty, I can't see why. I shower every day, I'm wearing underwear, I shake out dust and brush them every wearing or two, and most of them look as new as the day I bought them.

3 people like this.
  12. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

y'all do realize that dry cleaning is very harsh on clothes, right?

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

$200 for a clothing brush? What in the world. I'll just stick to lint brushes. :D

Yeah, I"m in the same boat as you. I only dry clean if soy sauce happens to spill on me while eating sushi.

14. Ebichuman

@Viral

yes, I think it's evident from our comments ;)

15. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

Last time I was in Japan I bought a clothes brush from Muji for maybe the equivalent of $5 or $10. Perhaps the Muji at Yonge/Dundas has such an item? Mind you, they'll charge you twice as much...

16. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Yes they do. Got mine from Muji at Yonge-Dundas.

17. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Since we're touching on pants, anyone experienced with BR Nanotex Wool pants before? Apparently they're 100% wool shell with special lining that prevents stain (not sure how that works) and the online reviews are good so far.

1 person likes this.
  18. Gingham Check10

Gingham Check10 Member

Got my clothes brush there too. They're located in the Atrium on Bay. Basically a rectangular piece of wood with some animal hair bristles on one end. For $200 are the Kent brushes supposed to be family heirlooms or something to pass down from generation to generation?

19. Gingham Check10

Gingham Check10 Member

Had a great time at the Bruce Boyer book signing at Leatherfoot earlier in the summer, so would be down for attending another event there. Got rather warm with the crowd of people in the store, but I don't think we'll have the same problem in October. Yes, there was a great spread available for nibbling and drinking.

1 person likes this.
  20. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

If Leatherfoot feels compelled to break out the Brut Imperial for our humble gathering? ..well, I guess I could live with that. ;)