• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eric Michael

Reaction score
What is the going rate for shoe resoling these days? I've never done one, but the heel on my AE shoe is coming apart.

Novelty quoted me $125.

When I was in the Woolrirdge store I asked if he knew of anyone who did resoling and he said he's got a guy that charges round $150 (if I'm not mistaken).

Spex

Reaction score
I suspect will be cheaper and same/better qual:
http://nickscustomboots.com/contact-us/

This came up on a thread on AAAC, but I thought Novelty can resole using a Goodyear welt, while Nick uses Blake. Is this correct or incorrect?

I had some AEs resoled at Novelty and they came back looking exactly the same in terms of construction. Price was $125 (but note that after tax it's more like $140).

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nick told me they can do both blake and goodyear. If I recall the conclusion of this debate from last year, Novelty and Nick's alike were both proclaimed to be your best choices in the city.

CloudLi

Reaction score
Hello guys. Where can I find AE (or comparable quality) shoes under $250? I can wait for sales since I am planning to buy 3 or 4 pairs. Anywhere other than HR outlet?

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello guys. Where can I find AE (or comparable quality) shoes under $250? I can wait for sales since I am planning to buy 3 or 4 pairs. Anywhere other than HR outlet?

Club Monaco is another option, though you could always wait for seconds sales and pray you don't get hit with fees at the border.

Spex

Reaction score
There was a time when BB sold their AEs for under $400 CAD and 30% or 40% off corporate sales were more frequent, but I think their prices have increased and the sales less frequent and not as good. I'm a bargain hunter myself, and finding the kind of deal you're looking for locally will be quite difficult, unless you are willing to buy used off of Kijiji.

The very best and most consistent option is the AE Shoebank. I've used it and wasn't hit with customs duty, but I may have just been lucky. Also the exchange rate isn't as good as if used to be...oh well.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no customs for goods made in North America due to NAFTA........

Spex

Reaction score

no customs for goods made in North America due to NAFTA........

That's true! I don't think you can beat the Shoebank then (but factor in $30 USD for shipping to Canada).

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's true! I don't think you can beat the Shoebank then (but factor in $30 USD for shipping to Canada).
You still run the risk of getting hit with a brokerage fee and HST. Not terrible by any means though.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once bought seconds from AE and I was still hit with some bullshit from Fedex.

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think fedex charges a $30 brokerage fee and they charge tax on top of that.

velomane

Reaction score
You can cut your costs with Fedex by setting up an account with them. It costs nothing to do, and their charges are diminished. No brainer really.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's your shoe size? I have a pair of black AE derbies in 7.5D that I'm intending on getting rid of.

But back on topic, the AE Shoebank is your best bet asides from buying used, like others have already said. Decent quality dress shoes don't tend to be in the price range and our dollar doesn't help.

Although if you go back to some posts on this thread around March or so, a local startup was promoting their blake-stitched shoes for around $275 or so. Perhaps give them a ring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads