1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. BlackChiney8

BlackChiney8 Well-Known Member

The shoes I posted are by Tom Ford. I still don't know why Tom Ford shoes get the kind of hate/disapproval from SF members that it does (then again pretty much everything gets bashed on here at times). I can fully understand when the arguments are based on quality vs price point as most Tom Ford shoes cost over $1500 USD and I agree are not constructed to that level of quality. Although if you can get pairs for a fraction of that cost...what's so wrong about buying a pair of two? I'm no expert but I can generally understand who are the "actual high end shoe makers" but like I just mentioned, I don't understand the bashing of Tom Ford shoes when they feel to be well made and use high quality leathers when I'm inspecting them. The lasts are no more outlandish than some GGs. The tailoring TF offers doesn't seem to get the same level of scrutiny as the shoes and has actually been praised more times for it's quality I find.

2. Viral

Viral Senior member

you bring up a fair point, however their lasts and the almost 2" heel doesn't help the appeal. If one didn't know better, they might assume them to be some square-toed Kenneth Cole/Aldo joints.

Then again, if you're getting them for $300-$500 I guess they are a solid buy if your heart is set on them.

3. BlackChiney8

That's actually the price point that I wouldn't exceed personally buying the shoes. I've been a fan of the brand for years and find a lot of the items produced under his umbrella to be well made with above average quality. Again, I stress that I'm not endorsing paying full retail price for his items because the prices are very outlandish. With regard to the lasts looking like "Aldo or Kenneth Cole", I don't think I would agree with that because I don't find most to be far off than anything from GG or many other very high end shoes. The heel height is also dependent upon the particular model and this is the "Gianni" model which does have a kind of modish appeal. He has a model called "Austin" that has a much more classic silhouette with a more classic height heel.

4. Viral

Viral Senior member

you are correct - many GG/Aldo/EG lasts and shoes are just as hideous and I cannot see their appeal, especially at their respective price points - trust me , I've really tried to like them!

of course, all the above is IMO only.

5. gs77

gs77 Senior member

I've been in Mississauga today and, while I'm there, dropped to Harry's Outlet. Most of the stuff has additional 25% markdown. The only thing I found for myself was a John Smedley merino v-neck for $99 which is a great deal in my book, and they have them in various sizes and colours.

6. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

FYI Smedleys were going for around that price on their own website this weekend. Clearance was up to 50% off plus free shipping, which included many v-necks. Sometimes you get hit with duty, sometimes you don't.

7. gs77

gs77 Senior member

I did order from them few years ago. IIRC, they send with DHL, so duties were collected. :(

8. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

I ordered one the other day and only paid HST. My partner ordered three and was hit with the works. If you expect the worst you'll never be disappointed.

9. BlackChiney8

This is true that if you just expect to pay duties, then it's not like it blind sides you but I don't think it will ever not disappoint you when you have to tack on additional charges to a purchase. Most things we buy, we are buying because it is a good deal or a perceived good deal. There have been times where I've expected to pay duties but didn't calculate them correctly or felt like the charges far exceeded expectations. I'm sure most in here have asked items to be shipped with USPS instead of a courier or as "gifts" or with low declared value, but it also seems to be completely luck of the draw at times.

I've had both luck and bad luck in terms of getting hit by customs but my one question is what would happen if you deny receiving a package or refuse to pay the fees associated? I know in an ideal world, you would expect the item to be returned to the sender and then you could claim a refund because the item was returned but I know it's not always that simple. There would also be a risk/likelihood of Canada Post just confiscating the item and holding it (or I've heard people speak of courier services trying to re-deliver on a different day). I wouldn't be evading duties but if there's a duty charge and taxes of like 100$ on an item I paid 20-30$ for, I would seriously think about declining the package. This is sadly the reality as a Canadian consumer in the global market.

10. jl9377

jl9377 Active Member

Hey guys,

Thought this might interest some people. Found an awesome pair of pants from a local independent menswear store in Oakville called Blazer for Men, and they're currently having their online sale. The pants are called Echizenya. From what I gather, they're the only NA retailer carrying them. Echizenya makes pants for a few notable Japanese brands, the biggest being CDG. Some cool fabrics and Incotex equivalents IMO. Some LBM, Canali, Boglioli stuff if that floats your boat. I took an extra 10% off my purchase with 'final10' , but I just really like the pants. (Sizing limited now)

http://shoplalondes.com/collections/pants

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I haven't seen much disapproval of TF shoes at all on SF :confused:

They're expensive yes, but not bad by any means.

12. ADub

ADub Senior member

That is a great price for Smedley, which is one of the finest knitwear makers. There was a sample sale here around October that had Smedley down to $60.

13. BlackChiney8

Hm that's interesting othertravel. I haven't scoured all of SF but I've searched about information on the quality of TF shoes and have run across at least 4-5 different threads where other members have chimed in about either purchasing or wanting to purchase TF shoes. Not before long, other SF members would chime in completely bashing the quality of the shoes ranging from saying they are "complete rubbish" to others says they are "ok but worth 300$ at most." Obviously opinions are subjective so everything can be taken with a grain of salt but I wonder how much of these members have truly handled a pair of the shoes. I find the leather quality to be top notch and the finishing to be very well done. In the $500-800 range, they are completely worth the price in my opinion.

14. othertravel

Don't disagree. They're nice looking shoes. That said, they come in different tiers. The really good stuff is made by Max Verre (chiselled waist)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  15. BlackChiney8

I actually think all of the shoes are produced by Max Verre. Basically all of Tom Ford's shoes look like Max Verres with Tom Ford's branding stamped on them.

16. othertravel

Not necessarily. Doucal makes some of them too.

17. BlackChiney8

Thanks for the information. This is my brand new pair of double monks that I got a few months ago. I would assume it's made by Max Verre due to the chiselled waist. I'm interested to know/see what kind of offerings the Doucal's produced footwear have. I paid $400.00 Canadian for these including tax. I'm not complaining for getting Tom Ford double monks at that price point...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  18. ino68

ino68 Senior member

Wow that's a great value! The waist is super narrow, very GG-esque.

19. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

When I saw the size of the heel my first thought was TF, but then I was like nah, what SF would have bought TF? Look I'm a fan of the styling and attitude and all that. I find the retail pricing obnoxious but if you're going to pay $600-800 on shoes, sure there are some very nice well made well styled options, but I'm starting to loosen up these days on a pure price to quality ratio filter because sometimes you pay for styling and I'm willing to sacrifice a little quality or overpay a bit. $2500-3000, no thanks, but $800-1000 for TF shoes, what the hell, live a little. Could you find better made shoes for the money, of course, but if you feel great, look great, etc then that's worth something too.

20. othertravel

That looks like the Verre. Great value!

Is that the Austin? TF uses a few different lasts, and the Austin works with my low instep.