• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shoes are definitely the best deals if you like the style and they have your size. For the quality and the price you could even buy them with the intent to resell if you are so inclined. I've tried the Coniston; it's a very nice shoe but I just tried the EG Galway today and it's my new favourite boots. 

Galways rule. Which version did you try on?

ADub

Reaction score

Galways rule. Which version did you try on?

I tried on the one with gold textured Utah leather with a Dainite sole. It's a custom make ordered by LeatherFoot.

ADub

Reaction score

Ah yes - I am well familiar with that makeup and understand the appeal - I happen to be sporting that very pair today. 
nod%5B1%5D.gif
  That Utah leather is just wonderfully supple.

orig.jpg

Agreed. It's even more comfortable than the C&J Tetbury in suede I had tried on earlier. In fact it's probably the most comfortable pair of leather shoes I've ever tried.

I see that they darken and take on a nice patina. If you don't mind how long have you had yours and do you have any reservation wearing it in inclement weather or are they built to last and handle the worst weather conditions (I would hope so if I'm going to spend $2k plus tax on a pair of shoes)?

akoustas

Reaction score
On the topic of footwear: I had to pleasure of meeting Peter Feeney yesterday and visit his bespoke shoe shop.

Very interesting process and quite tempted by the offering. I suppose the only issue is the price, which at $1500 puts me in some pretty good company. While I think the whole process is really cool, I have a pretty regular foot shape so an off the shelf option works fine. Any thoughts on the matter? I could probably snag two pairs of a really nice piece.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These were shot when brand new - I think they just look a bot darker because it was an overcast day.

I haven't yet worn them in really bad weather - simply because we really haven't had any since I purchased them. I expect that they will do just fine. Though if I had to guess, I'd say that country calf might be a better choice for ultimate foul-weather durability. And of course, Zug is at the very top of the heap in that regard.

I do have a pair of CXL boots from Carmina in respect of which I have no reservations in beating on relentlessly, They replace a pair of CXL Allen Edmonds boots that I wore for years when shovelling, hiking, hunting, camping etc. They could easily shrug off snow, mud. muck, whatever and I expect the Carminas would do the same. My smooth calf Galways would not have done as well. Not because they are of inferior quality (they are well above) but because the material (buttery soft crust leather) simply isn't as well suited to hard use.

Right tool for the job is one way to look at it. You can get a Porsche 911 in AWD, but do you really want to take it off-road?

These are the Carminas:

orig.jpg

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of footwear: I had to pleasure of meeting Peter Feeney yesterday and visit his bespoke shoe shop.

Very interesting process and quite tempted by the offering. I suppose the only issue is the price, which at $1500 puts me in some pretty good company. While I think the whole process is really cool, I have a pretty regular foot shape so an off the shelf option works fine. Any thoughts on the matter? I could probably snag two pairs of a really nice piece.

Hard to comment without knowing anything about the quality of his work. You are approaching St. Crispin's money at that point. Bespoke doesn't necessarily mean better. Although in some cases it will mean waaaaaaay better. But generally not at $1500.

jokb

Reaction score

I commissioned him for a job last March and I haven't received mine yet. I'm not sure where he sources his leather so can't comment on that. As for the fit, I don't have them yet and he hasn't returned some of my calls so not sure what's going on there.

When I do get them, I'll update you .

ADub

Reaction score

These were shot when brand new - I think they just look a bot darker because it was an overcast day.

I haven't yet worn them in really bad weather - simply because we really haven't had any since I purchased them.  I expect that they will do just fine.  Though if I had to guess, I'd say that country calf might be a better choice for ultimate foul-weather durability.  And of course, Zug is at the very top of the heap in that regard.

I do have a pair of CXL boots from Carmina in respect of which I have no reservations in beating on relentlessly,  They replace a pair of CXL Allen Edmonds boots that I wore for years when shovelling, hiking, hunting, camping etc.  They could easily shrug off snow, mud. muck, whatever and I expect the Carminas would do the same.  My smooth calf Galways would not have done as well.  Not because they are of inferior quality (they are well above) but because the material (buttery soft crust leather) simply isn't as well suited to hard use.

Right tool for the job is one way to look at it.  You can get a Porsche 911 in AWD, but do you really want to take it off-road?

These are the Carminas:

orig.jpg

I have a pair of Rider boots for the bad weather and just thinking of adding another pair to alternate. Are your Carmina on the Oscar last, and if so, how do you find it in comparison to the Galway last in terms of elegance/sleekness?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Oscar-last jumper boot and the 82-last Galway are probably my two fave derby boots, period - notwithstanding the difference in price. The CXL pair is on Oscar, as with the pair below. Not quite as sleek as the Galway, but if you forego the storm welt (and Frankenstitch seams) the result is even more streamlined.

I can recommend them wholeheartedly.

orig.jpg

And yes, I have rather a ridiculous amount of boots.
shog[1].gif

akoustas

Reaction score
Thanks @jokb and @RogerP , as resident experts your opinions are very valuable. I think I'll hold off

Last edited:

borbor

Reaction score
1500 from a pre existing last or individual last? If the former,that's a 2.5x increase in a span of just short of 3 years.

Last edited:

ADub

Reaction score

The Oscar-last jumper boot and the 82-last Galway are probably my two fave derby boots, period - notwithstanding the difference in price.  The CXL pair is on Oscar, as with the pair below.  Not quite as sleek as the Galway, but if you forego the storm welt (and Frankenstitch seams) the result is even more streamlined.

I can recommend them wholeheartedly.

orig.jpg

And yes, I have rather a ridiculous amount of boots.
shog%5B1%5D.gif

Given the climate in most of Canada boots are almost a necessity. Did you order the Carmina directly from their website? What can I expect in terms of duties that have to be paid?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads