• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of these boots were purchased from Skoak. I have also had a number of good transactions with Gentlemens Footwear. Duties are hit and miss, though more hit than miss these days. Worst case scenario is 18% duty plus 13% HST. Which is pretty painful. Given the state of our dollar and the potential duty hit, seeing if LF might be willing to offer some small accommodation on the Galways might not be a bad idea. Ordering a pair of Vass boots locally through @jokb is also definitely worth considering. Also note that Robert Jones carries the dark brown version of those Utah Galways if that appeals to you.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Alden boots creeping on $1000 CAD, and Carmina $800 (both landed) the boot game is getting expensive and quickly....

I remember when Carmina high boots were $440 On Skoak not long ago... :(

BTW - Black Scotch grain Carmina Jumpers on Skoak for $438 7.5 and 9..

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regretting not getting those Massdrop Vass Therasainers. $495 delivered (USD) to a US address. Sheet!

John-Galt

Reaction score
Gravitypope extra 40% off sale items. I know they're not on the same pedestal as Lobb or EG but they have a good selection of Chruch's and Grenson.

ADub

Reaction score
I stopped by Brooks Brothers at RBC and got a list of the sizes left for the Black Fleece shoes by C&J. The lasts are on the very rounded side but the quality for price can't be beat. You are looking at just under $250 plus tax for any of them in the picture.

Sizes are US instead of UK:

Burgundy: 11 & 12

Black scotch grain: 9 & 11 & 12

Black calf 9.5 & 10 & 10.5 & 11

Boots 12

Suede 8.5 & 9 & 11

Spex

Reaction score
Having been lurking on this forum for about a month, posters here really like the shantungs, so I thought I'd give it a try. Somebody mentioned they saw grenadine ties, but I don't recall seeing any of those on the sale tables.

BF size BB3 is a 15.5 neck, but the sleeves would be too short for you.

Not correct, actually. I purchased a BB2 and the neck, after measuring, is clearly at least 0.5" bigger than my 15.5"x35" Milano fit OCBDs. Also the sleeves on the BF are longer. Granted, I have not washed this shirt more than once yet, so it will probably shrink a tad. I think I may be able to even pull off a BB1, and I kind of wish I had tried one on to compare. Regardless, I will attempt a bit of controlled shrinking of this shirt with quick round in the dryer.

The Black Fleece shirt size chart confirms that a BB2 is meant to be a size 15.5" neck, but says 34" sleeves. My SA says that certain measurements may have been tweaked from season to season. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/de...lt/Page-Include?cid=bf-mens-shirts-size-chart

Amazing details on these BF OCBDs, BTW. Split yoke, MOP buttons, size gussets, and the front panels don't hang straight down from the placket, but instead are cut with additional material towards the opposite edge of the shirt. You'll see what I mean if you look at the photos of any of these shirts on the BB site.

Spex

Reaction score
I stopped by Brooks Brothers at RBC and got a list of the sizes left for the Black Fleece shoes by C&J. The lasts are on the very rounded side but the quality for price can't be beat. You are looking at just under $250 plus tax for any of them in the picture.

Sizes are US instead of UK:

Burgundy: 11 & 12

Black scotch grain: 9 & 11 & 12

Black calf 9.5 & 10 & 10.5 & 11

Boots 12

Suede 8.5 & 9 & 11

Hm...do I need a black calf wingtip? The burgundy would be nice. I do find the welts a bit wide though.

Jay Suave

Reaction score
Does anyone here use Canada Post's Flex Delivery? I used it a few times. It's convenient, but I'm not sure if the odds of getting hit with duties are higher.

Canada Post has upped their advertising for their Flex Delivery services since Christmas, but there's no indication that this service would spare you from whatever duties & taxes that are owed.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct, and remember CanadaPost doesn't issue duties and taxes. All they do is collect when the CBSA asks them to.

They don't get the parcel until its released from customs. So if its through customs and going to a Flex location rather than a residential address it makes no difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads