1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Does anyone have Enzo Bonafe in Toronto in 7.5 or 8UK?

Looking to try on 946, 363MOD, 74959

Would buy you a bottle for your time. Absolutely no rush.

2. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Well-Known Member

Interesting. Always hard to really tell how the leather and the last shapes will look based on a few photos, but the price should fill a gap in the market.

I was going to say that the antiquing is a bit extreme but according to the FAQs that issue has already been flagged.

3. philipmercer

philipmercer Member

We could share our own shoes. So far my partner and I have owned our shoes for over 6 months and they look great. You're right about the antiquing, we got that comment quite a lot and we agree, we're getting that fixed.

In about a month we should have reviews from bloggers of Toronto so you'll have a neutral perspective!

4. burgerkong

burgerkong Well-Known Member

Will you have more conservative (traditional) styles up? Say something like an Adelaide or a simple quarter brogue captoe or some plain captoe oxfords?

5. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

Or a wingtip, or penny loafer (finding a nice affordable, sleek, non-beef roll, dark brown suede loafer proves difficult) or chukka?

6. philipmercer

philipmercer Member

Right now we're not working on more lace-ups until August. We will launch 3 penny loafers in June (Dark brown, Tobacco suede & sand suede). In the fall we'll launch 3 style of boots (different colours) and a plain toe Blutcher or oxford we might do an Adelaide too.

We do currently have the plain toe cap toe but in blutcher.

Sign up to our newsletter and you'll know when we're launching those. We're also trying to work with our customers as much as we can to bring the styles they want, so if you have an idea of what you would love to see exactly, let us know!

7. philipmercer

philipmercer Member

Penny loafers, definitively give us about 3 weeks, we're waiting our samples.
    Wingtip might come in the fall or the winter.
    Chukkas, yes! In the fall. Sign up to our newsletter and we'll keep you posted. Also, if you have an idea of a specific shoe you would want to see (may be a chukka in green suede or anything) let us know as we try to work with our customers as much as we can to bring style you want.

8. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

Can you guys provide top-down views of your shoes? It's hard to tell the shape of the last with the current pics.

Congrats on your new venture......all the best!!

9. philipmercer

philipmercer Member

Okay thanks for the advice!! We will do that.

Thanks for the good words!

10. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

This all sounds very promising. I noticed on the site that it says all shoes are made to order. Would that potentially allow any model to be made up in any other color? I'm thinking a penny loafer in your port wine color would be quite versatile.

And +1 on having an overhead shot.

11. philipmercer

philipmercer Member

Thanks! If you do write to us with that request, we could work something out! They're "made-to-order" meaning that when you order, we put the purchase in. But we could definitively work something.

12. MrGimpy

On the subject of shoes, thought I'd share a positive experience with a resoling job at Nicks Custom Boots. Pretty quick turnaround and some nice work on an eight-year-old pair of C&Js.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    3 people like this.
  13. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

That looks really well done with the flush toe tap and closed channels better than bench grade C&J sole finishing.

14. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Nice stuff. Do you have a before pic?

15. MrGimpy

No, sorry. I didn't think to take any since there wasn't anything remarkable about their condition. I had, however, worn completely through the sole under the ball of one foot.

The flush toe taps were done at my request and cost extra, of course. But I wear through the toe of my soles much more quickly than anywhere else.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  16. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

It's good to know there is someone who can do good work locally instead of having to send the shoes back to the factory for resoling. How is the quality and selection of soles he has on hand? Does he have the likes of JR, Dainite, and Tomir? And how much is a resole without the toe taps if you don't mind?

On a side note it's interesting how he attached the toe taps without screws, which is what I see from most makers.

17. MrGimpy

I really wanted to avoid sending them to the UK, too. But this was not a full recraft; the welt was apparently in good condition so the shoes only needed the layers of sole removed down to the welt and new layers added. I think the resole is around $140 without taps.

Not sure about availability of other sole types but the guys were pleasant to deal with so I'd recommend speaking with them directly.

18. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

I believe that's the proper way to repair stacked soles: only the worn out layers are replaced. The price also seems right plus you save on not having to pay for shipping. How long was the turnaround?

I'm still years away from having to replace any of my soles but will definitely give them a shout when I do. Keep us posted on how the resole fares over time!

19. burgerkong

burgerkong Well-Known Member

How much were the flush toe taps, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

20. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Ivor of Woolridge Shoes can do recrafting too for 150 CAD a pair. His leather soles look exactly like Loake 1880 just without the words.