• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spex

Reaction score
Speaking of Sydney's, I don't get this store. It is meant to appeal to the same people who shop at GotStyle? A lot of the items are somewhat pricey, from brands I'm not familiar with and in a style that I wouldn't think appeals to the seasoned SFer. How would one describe their demographic? Just curious.

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have spoken with a customer who has commissioned pieces from LeatherFoot (he's the one that likes Francesco's work more than Liverano & Liverano, BnTailor, and WW Chan) and the owner of LeatherFoot, who feels Francesco is better than Cifonelli and Antonio Panico. Now I've never seen any of the work of the aforementioned bespoke houses so I can't pass judgment on how Francesco's work compares but thought I'd share just to offer a bit more context as there isn't as much written about Francesco.    

Does that customer have an instagram page [COLOR=FF00AA]here[/COLOR]? He has a few pieces tagged with the hash tag #mysterytailor. If you scroll to the bottom he's posing for a few fit pictures in Leatherfoot. And the brown window pane sport jacket on Leatherfoot's website makes an appearance here as well.

ADub

Reaction score
Speaking of Sydney's, I don't get this store. It is meant to appeal to the same people who shop at GotStyle? A lot of the items are somewhat pricey, from brands I'm not familiar with and in a style that I wouldn't think appeals to the seasoned SFer. How would one describe their demographic? Just curious.
Their demographic is probably people my age haha. Compared to GotStyle I feel Sydney's has a more curated selection of labels with more substance behind them; there is a lot of United Stock Dry Goods and I think we can all agree Allen Edmonds is not an egregious choice if a store were to only stock one brand of dress shoes.

On the topic of GotStyle it is surprising that they carry Eidos Napoli.

ADub

Reaction score
Does that customer have an instagram page [COLOR=FF00AA]here[/COLOR]? He has a few pieces tagged with the hash tag #mysterytailor. If you scroll to the bottom he's posing for a few fit pictures in Leatherfoot. And the brown window pane sport jacket on Leatherfoot's website makes an appearance here as well.
No I have not had the pleasure of meeting him. The customer with whom I spoke wore a double breasted suit the first time I saw him at the store and I thought it was the sharpest looking suit I've ever seen on anyone though I'm not sure who the tailor is for that particular suit. Somehow I don't think he is on this forum or very active on social media; that's just the vibe I got from him.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have my appointment on Thursday. Were there any spring or summer weight open weave fabric for $1095, specifically a navy fresco or hopsack? 

I would like to get a summer suit with natural shoulders, light canvassing, and minimal lining. Has anyone had something similar made through the Samuelsohn MTM program? I understand that's not Samuelsohn's typical style so am I better off getting something RTW or going with a bespoke tailor?

Speaking of bespoke has anyone used Bulloch Tailors or has seen their work to offer an opinion on the house style and construction quality? They were mentioned once on the MTM/bespoke tailors thread and have a store closing sale offering bespoke suit at $1795 for super 100-130. If there are other good true bespoke tailors in the city that does it for even less I'd like to hear about them and your experience with them.  

I asked Stan about his house style and he said that they had none, they'll make whatever you want. I'm sure there must be limitations like being able to properly execute a drape cut or pagoda shoulders which I never asked about.

Their lease is up in March or April at which time they'll close up shop. I believe they'll switch to biannual trunk shows afterwards.

Spex

Reaction score
No I have not had the pleasure of meeting him. The customer with whom I spoke wore a double breasted suit the first time I saw him at the store and I thought it was the sharpest looking suit I've ever seen on anyone though I'm not sure who the tailor is for that particular suit. Somehow I don't think he is on this forum or very active on social media; that's just the vibe I got from him.

You're not talking about Roger P, by chance, are you? See the post below.

post #77

Spex

Reaction score
Their demographic is probably people my age haha. Compared to GotStyle I feel Sydney's has a more curated selection of labels with more substance behind them; there is a lot of United Stock Dry Goods and I think we can all agree Allen Edmonds is not an egregious choice if a store were to only stock one brand of dress shoes.

On the topic of GotStyle it is surprising that they carry Eidos Napoli.

I remember Sydney's carrying Grenson a while back, but I don't think they do any more. Speaking of the shoes they do carry, it's items like this I wonder about. Over $600 for what appears to be a beat up black derby.

Officine Creative Ignis Derby, Nero

Going through their blog, I do get a bit more of an appreciate for the store, though. I like the fact that USDG are made in Toronto and their stuff actually isn't priced egregiously.

Last edited:

ADub

Reaction score

I remember Sydney's carrying Grenson a while back, but I don't think they do any more. Speaking of the shoes they do carry, it's items like this I wonder about. Over $600 for what appears to be a beat up black derby. 

Officine Creative Ignis Derby, Nero 

Going through their blog, I do get a bit more of an appreciate for the store, though. I like the fact that USDG are made in Toronto and their stuff actually isn't priced egregiously. 

Do you recall which line of Grenson? I've tried G2 at Uncle Otis and even at $150-200 on sale I don't feel the quality is commensurate with the price, let alone retail of close to $500.

I suppose there must be a demand or that the merchandiser really likes Officine Creative and their aesthetic. Personally I wouldn't get them either or the Marni blazer they have for $1600.

USDG is pretty good from what I have seen; one could do a lot worse for the same price. I'm going to Sydney's today to take a closer look at the Mismo; if anyone wants me to check out any of the other things there for sizing or whatnot I'd be happy to.

ADub

Reaction score

I asked Stan about his house style and he said that they had none, they'll make whatever you want. I'm sure there must be limitations like being able to properly execute a drape cut or pagoda shoulders which I never asked about.

Their lease is up in March or April at which time they'll close up shop. I believe they'll switch to biannual trunk shows afterwards.

Any thoughts or experience on the quality of their work? It would cost $2k to get something close to what I like at HR via Samuelsohn MTM, which is more than what Bulloch is advertising for bespoke.

ADub

Reaction score
I stopped by Sydney's today and here are some observations:

1) The Mismo bags are very nice. They feel nicer than the JMB Leather bags that's also carried at the store though I do like how
one can wear the JMB Leather messenger bag three ways: carry by the handle, use the shoulder strap, or wear as a backpack.

2) Sydney Mamane, the owner and head buyer, is a co-founder of United Stock Dry Goods, which explains why there is so much
stock at the store. The fabric choices are solid and sometimes interesting (in a good way) but the construction is a bit on the
stiff side.

3) All USDG denim are 2 for $100. I'm not a denim head by any means but I think it's a great deal for made in Canada/USA
Japanese selvedge jeans. For context the quality is comparable to the Naked & Famous I own and better than the Unbranded
jeans I've seen.

emidyl

Reaction score
I stopped by Sydney's today and here are some observations:

1) The Mismo bags are very nice. They feel nicer than the JMB Leather bags that's also carried at the store though I do like how
one can wear the JMB Leather messenger bag three ways: carry by the handle, use the shoulder strap, or wear as a backpack.

2) Sydney Mamane, the owner and head buyer, is a co-founder of United Stock Dry Goods, which explains why there is so much
stock at the store. The fabric choices are solid and sometimes interesting (in a good way) but the construction is a bit on the
stiff side.

3) All USDG denim are 2 for $100. I'm not a denim head by any means but I think it's a great deal for made in Canada/USA
Japanese selvedge jeans. For context the quality is comparable to the Naked & Famous I own and better than the Unbranded
jeans I've seen.
they have been running sales prices for a while now, but the 2 for $100 is very good.
USDG if they have your size are decent deals currently especially some of the jackets. Been meaning to drop by again

Last edited:

ADub

Reaction score
That's an awesome deal considering I paid $150 for 3 pairs at their past sample sale. All pairs are holding up well. Got a black, indigo, and a navy. Only complaint I have is that sizing is very different between all 3 pairs (all 3 being the same cut and size).
Yes I would recommend trying on in person before purchasing; one of the ones I tried I could not button up despite it being marked as the same size as all the others. It's also cheaper in store than on their website.

akoustas

Reaction score
Robert Jones is having a sidewalk sale. Kiton and bigi ties 75 and a pretty good range of footwear as well

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads