• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

side note:
any of you portlander's have any asian food recs? like chinese or korean bbq? just not thai .. there's too much thai in this city ..

Have you been to Hoo Soon Kyi in on the Beaverton-HIllsdale Hwy? I've not, but I hear good things. Koreana is also supposed to be very good (tons of Yelp reviews, for what that's worth), and it's basically right down the street.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jam: kinda sucks. Tasty n Sons is good, but not in my opinion as good as it's hyped to be---and Accanto has a much shorter wait. Broder (which you mentioned) is my favorite brunch in Portland. Screen Door's and Simpatica's are good, too. I'm not really a breakfast person, though. I'm not really into Little Big Burger; I think Violetta is much better.

Wong's King is probably the best Chinese in Portland, both for dim sum and dinner. Ha VL has good Vietnamese soup! Better than pho. I think An Xuyen make the best banh mi in Portland (especially the lemongrass pork), and they're $3.

Or Coava for coffee, especially if you're a coffee nerd. Regional Barista Champion?

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jam: kinda sucks. Tasty n Sons is good, but not in my opinion as good as it's hyped to be---and Accanto has a much shorter wait. Broder (which you mentioned) is my favorite brunch in Portland. Screen Door's and Simpatica's are good, too. I'm not really a breakfast person, though. I'm not really into Little Big Burger; I think Violetta is much better.

Wong's King is probably the best Chinese in Portland, both for dim sum and dinner. Ha VL has good Vietnamese soup! Better than pho. I think An Xuyen make the best banh mi in Portland (especially the lemongrass pork), and they're $3.

Or Coava for coffee, especially if you're a coffee nerd. Regional Barista Champion?

Good recs, will have to check em out when I get back, especially Accanto and Broder, and HA VL and An Xuyen

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got back from Portland last night...had a blast! The weather was pretty amazing...considering I was told it was going to be snowing when I got there (conversely, I was told that LA had heavy rain. Then again, heavy rain in LA is probably a sprinkle to Portland people). Thanks for all the recommendations...I wanted to hit up so much more, but there is only so much you can do. And what's up with Screen Door's brunch? Is it worth the 3 hour wait (decided to bail on that one)?
My eating adventure:
DOC
Broder
PBJ's
Salt & Straw
Cool Moon Ice Cream
Grand Central Bakery
Waffle Window
Grilled Cheese Grill
St. Jacks
Yakuza
Toro Bravo (highly recommend the $30 tasting menu)
Tasty n' Sons (Burmese Red Pork Stew is the bizz-nuss)
Bunk Bar/Sandwich
Solstice (on the Washington border...amazing pizza)
Double Mountain Brewery (Hood River)
Mo's (near the coast....sucked balls)

I drank so much damn coffee. Barista, Stumptown, Coava, Water Ave, Ristretto...and all those food cart "villages" are so dope. Man, you guys are lucky.

Got to see all the regular shops. Has anyone checked out Lizard Lounge lately? They have some good sizes (meaning, my size and around that) on some Quoddy ring moccasins for 50% off.

And the girls I saw were a lot more attractive that I remembered! Maybe because the sun was out and they decided to show their faces.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got back on sunday as well

we made it to

tin shed
pine state biscuits
apizza scholls
screen door
the observatory

i love them all

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got nothing here. My recent shopping has been limited to car research and now the impending purchase. I wish it was more exciting but buying a car sucks.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frances May had a sale. Maybe it's ongoing. Did anybody go?

Lots of awesome restaurant news since that discussion happened last.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think that Frances May's sale is ongoing actually. They usually just have their mark downs stay on the racks until gone. Not sure if/how that's reflected on the site....

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got back from Portland last night...had a blast! The weather was pretty amazing...considering I was told it was going to be snowing when I got there (conversely, I was told that LA had heavy rain. Then again, heavy rain in LA is probably a sprinkle to Portland people). Thanks for all the recommendations...I wanted to hit up so much more, but there is only so much you can do. And what's up with Screen Door's brunch? Is it worth the 3 hour wait (decided to bail on that one)?
My eating adventure:
DOC
Broder
PBJ's
Salt & Straw
Cool Moon Ice Cream
Grand Central Bakery
Waffle Window
Grilled Cheese Grill
St. Jacks
Yakuza
Toro Bravo (highly recommend the $30 tasting menu)
Tasty n' Sons (Burmese Red Pork Stew is the bizz-nuss)
Bunk Bar/Sandwich
Solstice (on the Washington border...amazing pizza)
Double Mountain Brewery (Hood River)
Mo's (near the coast....sucked balls)

I drank so much damn coffee. Barista, Stumptown, Coava, Water Ave, Ristretto...and all those food cart "villages" are so dope. Man, you guys are lucky.

Got to see all the regular shops. Has anyone checked out Lizard Lounge lately? They have some good sizes (meaning, my size and around that) on some Quoddy ring moccasins for 50% off.

And the girls I saw were a lot more attractive that I remembered! Maybe because the sun was out and they decided to show their faces.

Spending 5 days there. This is a good food guideline!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads