• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Trance/House/Techno/Electronica Thread!

James Gatz

Reaction score
I could go on forever too. Electronic music takes up about 80% of my daily listening.

Here's today's lineup so far:

Wisp
Appleblim
Shackleton
The Bug
Fennesz
Gas
Vladislav Delay
Twerk
Soundmurderer

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I've been heavily into the electronic music scene for the past 15-20 years. I'm not much of a fan of trance, house, or straight-up techno; my tastes lean more toward electro, IDM, drum and bass, and experimental techno. Some of my favorite artists:

Aphex Twin
Plaid
Dopplereffekt
Adult.
Cylob
Boards of Canada
Aux 88
D'Arcangelo
Fischerspooner
Jega
Solvent
Squarepusher
DMX Krew
Justice
Cut Copy
Dom & Roland

Jega +1000000

Is that mofo ever going to release "variance?"

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I've been heavily into the electronic music scene for the past 15-20 years. I'm not much of a fan of trance, house, or straight-up techno; my tastes lean more toward electro, IDM, drum and bass, and experimental techno. Some of my favorite artists:

Aphex Twin
Plaid
Dopplereffekt
Adult.
Cylob
Boards of Canada
Aux 88
D'Arcangelo
Fischerspooner
Jega
Solvent
Squarepusher
DMX Krew
Justice
Cut Copy
Dom & Roland

+1,000.

Burial pretty much falls into the dubstep genre, though his album work is broader than that. There's tons and tons and tons of good dubstep right now. Check out a recording of 'generation bass' from MaryAnne Hobbs on bbc radio1 experimental - or the original 'dubstep wars' from the same show.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and check out iTal Tek for some of the best dubstep in the universe. This guy is the most talented producer I've heard in a very long time.

James Gatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefe
+1,000.

Burial pretty much falls into the dubstep genre, though his album work is broader than that. There's tons and tons and tons of good dubstep right now. Check out a recording of 'generation bass' from MaryAnne Hobbs on bbc radio1 experimental - or the original 'dubstep wars' from the same show.

Mary Anne Hobbs' Evangeline is a great mix as well. It's more spread out sonically, not just grime and dubstep; more of a set of modern electronic music that manages to remain cohesive and darkly groovy at the same time.

The Soul Jazz comps (Box of Dub, Steppas' Delight) are pretty ace, as are the Rinse label's I Love Dubstep, and the BBS/Milkcrate label's Science Faction: Dubstep.

jefe

Reaction score
nice. this thread is bringin' out the headz.

For anyone interested in harder drum & bass, the greatest is probably 'Wormhole' (Virus Recordings).

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wormhole is ******* massive. Love that record. It still sounds fresh today, to my ears at least.

I wish they would've stuck to that sound.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never picked up "Wormhole" but do have a lot of Virus 12-inches from that era. I love Ed Rush, Optical, Nico, and all of those producers. I also still have a soft spot for Panacea (+ Problem Child, etc.), although some of his tracks are just a little too over-the-top for me.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't truly call myself into anymore, but I do enjoy the sounds a great deal. Many of the ones I like have already been mentioned.

Deadmau5

Above & Beyond
I greatly enjoy the majority of Trance Around the world - their trance mix free on iTunes.

AVB

Van Dyk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrtn...eature=related

Holden & Thompson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsCeC...eature=related

DJ Sasha

Spooky

For older stuff:

Inner City (saunderson)
Juan Atkins
Moroder with assists from Cowley and Summer

PSB

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
listen to archangel.
Yeah, I italicized the album title because I was listening to the entire album. "Archangel" is a great track but actually a couple of the others affect me more. In my much younger days I used to dig some IDM and EBM, industrial/trance stuff like Assemblage 23's Failure and VNV Nation's Empires. But I left all that behind years ago, so it's interesting to resurface in a totally new and different region of the electronic music world.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Had a long period when I couldn't really listen to new electronic music (always liked the 70's & 80's stuff tho), but now I'm kinda getting back into some of the stuff that's out there these days. I've recently liked alot of the recent blog-electro (or whatever the whole genre is called this week). Kap10kurt, Futurecop!, Anoraak, Sally Shapiro, Kavinsky, AC Slater and such. Although atleast for me the part of the genre's appeal is how easy it is to just keep a few blogs bookmarked, then get whatever new songs are up. I lack the interest to keep tabs on what's happening overall in various genres. Some recent songs I've enjoyed. Sharkslayer - Bad Ding (actually, just check their myspace, way better songs there http://www.myspace.com/sharxlayer)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. AC Slater - Jack got Jacked (Jack Beat remix)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Little Boots - Love Kills (Buffetlibre vs Sidechains remix)

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Eero Johannes - Lipton Service Boy

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Eero Johannes - We Could Be Skweeroes

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Kap10Kurt - Danger Seekers

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Kap10Kurt - Mission Complete

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Futurecop! - Transformers

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Fukkk Off - Rave Is King (Le Castle Vania remix)

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. EDIT: I'm mostly following Top Billin', Discodust and Discobelle. Any other blogs worth following for good songs in the genre?

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised by this:
hmpr_AlbumCoverHIGHRES.JPG

Not as hardcore as I usually like but one of my favorites for many, many months.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really sucks how many labels have gone under this past year. Pisses me off. Merck records, Sublight, Isolate...really sucks how hard it is to be profitable in this genre unless you make asinine TRANCE eurotrash cock cheese.

Psyren

Reaction score
I listen to a lot of house and progressive house it's been my passion since I've heard this one song.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

some others you might like

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

This is actually melodic techno but it's similar to house

clarity

Reaction score
Oh how did I miss this thread back in Jan... I'm listening to the Are We Here? single by Orbital. Normally I stick to Warp and Planet Mu stuff, guess that gives anybody familiar with them an idea of what I play the most. Obviously I don't stick just to those labels. Pretty much listen exclusively to electronic. Yall talkin 'bout Burial...play his first album, self titled, muuuuch better than Untrue...less vocal samples. There's another fun single that came out on hyperdub not too long ago that I like:

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. I want to see autechre live more. =\\

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads