• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Topic is Glute Ham Raises

aleeboy

Reaction score
I have been looking at alternative exercises that don't engage my lower back, due to an injury, to shore up my hamstrings. The GHR is now the main exercise I use. They are hard, and after a couple of months, I still am yet to complete one full rep. That is, all the way down, no hands, and back all the way up.

My question is for those who are in the know. How long did it take you to work up to a strength where you can handle your BW?

Discuss.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could do a few the first time I tried, but that was after probably 6 months + of training.

They are an awesome strength exercise though, and you hardly ever see people doing them.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Did your training include alot of hamstring exercises such as deadlifts, and its variations?

turbozed

Reaction score
I would totally add them to my routine but it's impossible to find a GHR station anywhere. I suppose you could do it on a barbell with towell wrapped around it, or even at the pulldown machine, but I hear this doesn't really approximate a designed GHR station very well. I fear I might not get that much benefit.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i do these with my feet under a sorinex landmine.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
I would totally add them to my routine but it's impossible to find a GHR station anywhere. I suppose you could do it on a barbell with towell wrapped around it, or even at the pulldown machine, but I hear this doesn't really approximate a designed GHR station very well. I fear I might not get that much benefit.

My gym is very limited in equipment available, so I used to do the ones on a mat while someone braces my feet down.

I then switched to using the pull-down machine. Works like a charm. Right now, I can resist to about 45 degrees in a controlled manner, when I switch back to the mat. The pull-down will allow you to have assistance so your muscle is under tension of a long time.

Oh yeah... these hurt. It feels really good though. Jamming your heel into the bar and slowly, but surely, ascending from the pits... talk about BURN.

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of body weight exercises. Try box-pistols to build your strength and work your way up to full pistols.

kever

Reaction score
It took me about a year or so of training, and about 3 months of glute ham raises to be able to do 2 reps. I put my feet under a leg press machine to do them, and it works great.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
Did your training include alot of hamstring exercises such as deadlifts, and its variations?

Yes. I was doing a lot of sit-back box squats, stiff-leg deadlifts, hack squats (we called them Romanian Deadlifts but I think in retrospect that was wrong), regular deadlifts, etc.

One place we lifted at had a GHR machine. The other place we had a particular type of decline bench we could use, and it worked really well. I would say as good, or better, than a GHR station.

Here's some random pics I found online. I've done it with someone holding your ankles but never any of the other ways. The very bottom pic looks like a good way to try.

NatrualGluteHamRaise.jpg

ghr5.jpg

20040609_ghr.jpg

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a dumb way of doing them. That pulls from the knee instead of the hip which basically makes it a weird way of doing leg curls.

I wouldn't even call those glute-ham raises. Hell, the glutes aren't even used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads