• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thrifty Styles Thread

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
The UK doesn't really do thrifting, per se. You rarely find a decent piece in charity shops, and once "vintage culture" exploded, every associated shop has stuck a high markup on every ratty little thing. It's absurd. The closest I come to thrifting is eBay and hand-me-downs, but I'm fortunate on both fronts

I'd say this is true for London but not for a lot of other places. I used to live not too far away from LDN in Bedford and I found some great things on a regular basis at the charity shops there in 2004/5.

I bought a belstaff coat for 4 quid that i still wear most days in winter in Bedford. Definitely my best find, but I got a lot of other stuff too for really cheap. I think it pays to go to smaller towns, as the vintage shops in big cities tend to raid places every day to sell on and there's more people to compete with, so to speak.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
pics or it never happened^^^

Check out the thrift bragging thread in the men's clothing section for all my M/C related stuff.

Most weren't my size and have since been sold to fund clothes that fit me. However, I still have the three 2 year old Isaia suits I found at the Sally last year. Here are some pics I found on my photobucket that I took the day I found them.

L1000661.jpg

L1000664.jpg

L1000666.jpg

L1000667.jpg

Riley Dee

Reaction score
Robbie...I am said A-hole.
smile.gif

Today's score was four Lacoste polo's. Two new with tags and two that were clearly washed once, all nice and together on the rack for me. A pair of Eddie Bauer Boat shoes and a newsie cap.

100_0858-1.jpg

My best OKC score ever was a pair of John Lobb Williams for $6.98. At the time I had not heard of the brand but I thought they seemed really nice. I googled the brand when I got home and high tailed it back to the thrift store.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Riley Dee

My best OKC score ever was a pair of John Lobb Williams for $6.98. At the time I had not heard of the brand but I thought they seemed really nice. I googled the brand when I got home and high tailed it back to the thrift store.

drool.gif

Damn! That's insane! Over in the MC section there was a guy who found a new, never worn pair of Lobbs for $3.50 or something crazy like that. I may have decent luck with suits/shirts/jackets, but I have not once in 10 years found a decent pair of shoes.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy Burgess
I'd say this is true for London but not for a lot of other places. I used to live not too far away from LDN in Bedford and I found some great things on a regular basis at the charity shops there in 2004/5.

I bought a belstaff coat for 4 quid that i still wear most days in winter in Bedford. Definitely my best find, but I got a lot of other stuff too for really cheap. I think it pays to go to smaller towns, as the vintage shops in big cities tend to raid places every day to sell on and there's more people to compete with, so to speak.

Excellent. I appreciate the tips, and they make a great amount of sense

sploosh

Reaction score
Wow I wish I could find lacoste polos. Today I picked up a navy sports coat, 2 christian dior ties, and a brand new merona tie(I just liked how it looked) for $11. I go to goodwill about once a week and have found a few decent items. So far I have gotten 4 christian dior ties there. I don't think I will ever need to buy ties. I am 14 now and by the time I need ties I will probably have around $100.

I am so jealous of the man on an affordable wardrobe. Thrift shopping near harvard sounds amazing. In a few weeks I will be going down by Washington University Saint Louis to shop, hopefully I will find some nice items considering how many rich students there are.

Riley Dee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PLaydice
Those Lacoste shirts real? Those are highly faked. Im sure your familiar with tradekey.com

I assume they are real. They have mother of pearl buttons vs plastic , attached via two holes sewn vertically and the lacoste croc is attached via a patch vs being embroidered directly on the polo. The croc seems to be placed correctly on the chest and there are two tags with the sizing represented as numbers vs S,M,L,XL etc.

Best as I can tell they are legit.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
amazing what people find for cheap

a guy I know of on a skinhead forum picked up a dark navy Baracuta harrington at his local thrift store in Boston for $5. And seeing him wear it, it was a perfect fit on him.

user Kris on here has bought some awesome vintage suits on ebay for under $50, really serious **** that looks fantastic

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
saw 2 pointer brand chore coats today (size 46)
and a very awesome no-brand Union made pair of DARK denim coveralls (probably XL)

Almost copped a Jansport vest, but decided against it.

pretty dry in Lincoln. Heading to OKC next weekend and hoping to do some thrifting before a wedding shower/stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads