• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Thank you. I will try to add other photos. I think the high sleeve cap is due to more padding on this side to compensate for a dropped shoulder. I have, however, noticed the exact same puckering from the exact same point on OTR jackets, some smug, some loose. This jacket is not especially snug, although I have noticed that the measurement from this point on the scye across the back tho the equivalent point on the other side is less than my other jackets.

What does ‘square the front shoulder’ mean? I have noticed that some of my OTR jackets have a shoulder angle that points very slightly more forwards than this bespoke jacket (perhaps due to more width across the upper back as mentioned above).

The balance of the jacket seems excellent in terms of the bottom (side view) and how it hangs at the front. However, there are more drag lines down the rear sides than I had expected.

lngn2

Reaction score
Thank you. I will try to add other photos. I think the high sleeve cap is due to more padding on this side to compensate for a dropped shoulder. I have, however, noticed the exact same puckering from the exact same point on OTR jackets, some smug, some loose. This jacket is not especially snug, although I have noticed that the measurement from this point on the scye across the back tho the equivalent point on the other side is less than my other jackets.

What does ‘square the front shoulder’ mean? I have noticed that some of my OTR jackets have a shoulder angle that points very slightly more forwards than this bespoke jacket (perhaps due to more width across the upper back as mentioned above).

The balance of the jacket seems excellent in terms of the bottom (side view) and how it hangs at the front. However, there are more drag lines down the rear sides than I had expected.
Who is it from if that's not a cheeky question?

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Looks like it is caused by both cutting and sewing. Have to guess a bit due to lack of visuals. The sleeve looks too "dry" meaning there isn't sufficient fullness sewn into the sleeve. The sleeve cap looks a bit high in relation to the width. the jacket may be a bit snug ( cannot discern from this picture) and looks like the back is out of balance from the vertical drag under the back scye. You may need to square the front shoulder and slope the back. That's my interpretation from what is shown. Better pictures of the entire jacket may reveal other things.

Poor light photos I’m afraid, but here are some. The sleeve/sleevehead looks a bit worse here than it truly does due to posture/angle, but you can see the issue is on the right side (left side is close to perfect). While i’m sure the balance and back fit could be improved, I suspect there is insufficient room all around chest+biceps (the tailor did not take an over arm chest measurement). My shoulder point-to-point measure is slightly less than would be standard for my chest size, and then exacerbated by forward roll. Hence perhaps a need for more room across the very top of the back?

D2DAC639-3A9F-4272-BCF4-3B825147EB40.jpeg
32384263-A47D-4562-83AC-C303E88813D8.jpeg
06600425-7F32-4A91-A260-6C912A10C426.jpeg
[

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What modifications do I need to make to this shirt/pants from Luxire, can't seem to resolve the horizontal wrinkling across the back:

Apologies that the shirt was quite wrinkled by the end of the day.

IMG_4168.PNG IMG_4166.PNG IMG_4171.PNG

So far I was thinking:

- Decrease thigh by 0.25"
- Decrease waist by 0.5"

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What modifications do I need to make to this shirt/pants from Luxire, can't seem to resolve the horizontal wrinkling across the back:

Apologies that the shirt was quite wrinkled by the end of the day.

View attachment 1133863 View attachment 1133862 View attachment 1133864

So far I was thinking:

- Decrease thigh by 0.25"
- Decrease waist by 0.5"

Could be because hip measurement is too small. I had a similar issue and added .5” to my hips which solved it.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried that first actually, but it didn’t do much, and it slides pretty easily over the hips now.

Is there any downside to increasing it even more so at the hips, to see if that would help, no detriment that I can think of?

Any other comments on the pants?

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
4415D2F1-C63D-4962-A7D2-3D4786DA4B20.jpeg
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance?

Long story short, I tried a suit jacket that I haven’t worn in many months (the suit itself is 5 years old) and I noticed what looked like transparent threads sticking out from my arms in the area near the arm scye that were causing some itching.

After some examination I noticed this wasn’t from the fabric but from some sort of Interlining. The fabric is 100% wool but this interlining seems to be of some synthetic material.

My question is as follows, what exactly is this? Can it be removed or changed? Is this a sign of my suits age? If left to its own devices will it damage the wool fabric?

Ps: I tried to take a picture but it was difficult, in this one you can see a single thread that has a golden color due to the sunlight stricking it.

Thanks in advance!

Lau-Kau

Reaction score
IMG_20190123_165111__01.jpg
Any hope for this suit? Best OTR fit yet, but the shoulders... What muscles hould I train to make myself fit this suit?? ;-) Having the same problems with other jackets also. Sorry for the shaky picture
IMG_20190123_165813__01.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stumbled upon an old thread where a bunch of non-tailors were discussing this diagram. It got me thinking about the ways you would address this issue, first as an alteration, and secondly at the pattern stage. Presumably these would be two different approaches, so I'm interested in understanding each. Thoughts?

Cidermonk

Reaction score
Hello all,

Can I get a fit check on my recent proper cloth purchase? The shirt has been washed and pressed once since purchasing.
IMG_0101.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg

papado

Reaction score
Hello all,

Can I get a fit check on my recent proper cloth purchase? The shirt has been washed and pressed once since purchasing. View attachment 1136687 View attachment 1136688 View attachment 1136690 View attachment 1136691 View attachment 1136692 View attachment 1136693

I think it looks fairly solid--my preferences would be to probably add some darts to the back to add some shape/clean it up. The neck looks way large--I would say decrease .5in perhaps or re-measure your neck to get the right size.

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think it looks fairly solid--my preferences would be to probably add some darts to the back to add some shape/clean it up. The neck looks way large--I would say decrease .5in perhaps or re-measure your neck to get the right size.

Agreed with @papado - is the an OTR shirt or MTM?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads