• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would trust the tailor. It looks like a good start!

Idk. Tailors are interesting in this regard. In my experience. I wouldn’t.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Idk. Tailors are interesting in this regard. In my experience. I wouldn’t.

I am talking about that specific tailor crafting that specific suit.

pickergc

Reaction score
Can anyone diagnose what's going on with the shoulders/sleeveheads here? Could there be excess fabric extending the shoulder? The shirring in the sleeve head doesn't help/I'd prefer it gone. This is a RTW jacket so I suppose these are the things you deal with.
Pickering_February-53.jpg

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there a thread here for amateur tailors / seamsters? I'm dipping my toes in the water, starting with shirtmaking & alterations, but I'm a little intimidated by Cutter & Tailor.

(Apologize for the slightly off-topic post.)

thefringthing

Reaction score
@pickergc I'm guessing based on the long darts and curved pocket that these sleeves are a badly overdone attempt at the Neapolitan shirt-style shoulders that are trendy now.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone diagnose what's going on with the shoulders/sleeveheads here? Could there be excess fabric extending the shoulder? The shirring in the sleeve head doesn't help/I'd prefer it gone. This is a RTW jacket so I suppose these are the things you deal with. View attachment 1125831

Who made it? Is it OTR?

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I bought a S&M blazer and it has the same issue. The top of the sleeve seems to have excess fabric and it looks even worse at the back of the armscye. One of the guys from S&M pm’d me to say it was a known issue as their manufacturer had made the sleevecap too large. I haven’t spoken to a tailor about a possible fix, but I guess it may be possible to reset the sleeve and tuck some of the sleevecap under the shoulder seam. I would personally not mind losing the spalla camicia effect as it is not very well done.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there a thread here for amateur tailors / seamsters? I'm dipping my toes in the water, starting with shirtmaking & alterations, but I'm a little intimidated by Cutter & Tailor.

(Apologize for the slightly off-topic post.)

There isn't any discussion of actual sewing on this sight. Lot's of members on Cutter and Tailor are like you, looking for help and instruction. Just jump in over there.

Took me a couple of minutes to "match" your location "nerdo Crombezia", I know where that is

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the potential derailment. Curious if there is some purpose where jacket cuffs are basted(?), with buttons attached, but the other side are faux buttonholes. Is this a "trial" stiching? Just curious as to possible rationale for doing this. I assume you just don't get a knife and make holes through this. Thanks for the education.

s-l1600.jpg

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought an OTR Spier & Mackay suit (40R) and sized up in the pants from 32 to 34. I generally have large hips/buttocks so this helps relax the fit in the seat.

They fit quite nicely, and only required hemming, tapering below the knee, and the waist being taken. I've found that taking in the waist has caused some pocket flare that wasn't there previously - likely because the narrowing is done from the rear, not the front of the pants, and the pockets are being pulled a different direction.

Is this avoidable at all, could the tailor have some done something? Or should I just live with a bit of pocket flare.

Before Tailoring (Apologies for the quality on this one):

before.jpg

After Tailoring:

after.jpg .

Last edited:

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I have a dropped and forward shoulder on my right side in particular. I often get a sort of ‘pucker’ that emerges from the back of the sleevehead on this side. It is also present on a bespoke suit that I have just collected. Is there any alteration that could correct this?

Here it is on the new suit:

AEF8591F-7092-4D8F-8986-086695C8629D.jpeg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought an OTR Spier & Mackay suit (40R) and sized up in the pants from 32 to 34. I generally have large hips/buttocks so this helps relax the fit in the seat.

They fit quite nicely, and only required hemming, tapering below the knee, and the waist being taken. I've found that taking in the waist has caused some pocket flare that wasn't there previously - likely because the narrowing is done from the rear, not the front of the pants, and the pockets are being pulled a different direction.

Is this avoidable at all, could the tailor have some done something? Or should I just live with a bit of pocket flare.

Before Tailoring (Apologies for the quality on this one):

View attachment 1130868

After Tailoring:

View attachment 1130866 .

The fix is dependent on finding a tailor with trouser construction expertise and not just altering and you are willing to spend more for the time it will take to alter.
The waistband is opened (removed by opening the seam attaching the waistband to the trouser) from the center back to just past the front crease.
You need more cloth across the hips on the front panels. Make a small/short dart between the front crease and the pocket. This brings cloth from the back part to the front. When they sew the waistband on they need to draw/shrink the top of the trouser in by working fullness in over your hips. This is done from the front crease to just past the back darts. The result is that the actual waistband is reduced the 2" you need going from a 34 to 32 waist but only reduces the actual trouser across the hips by only .5 to 1". This is how you reduce the waist but not the seat/hips of the trouser. If done properly and done well they will be more comfortable and no pocket flare. If these are RTW and not much hand work it isn't as complicated or time consuming as a hand top trouser would be. It is way more work to an alteration tailor who is doing basic taking in/letting out all day. It isn't so much to do if you are used to making trousers every day.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a dropped and forward shoulder on my right side in particular. I often get a sort of ‘pucker’ that emerges from the back of the sleevehead on this side. It is also present on a bespoke suit that I have just collected. Is there any alteration that could correct this?

Here it is on the new suit:

View attachment 1132618
Looks like it is caused by both cutting and sewing. Have to guess a bit due to lack of visuals. The sleeve looks too "dry" meaning there isn't sufficient fullness sewn into the sleeve. The sleeve cap looks a bit high in relation to the width. the jacket may be a bit snug ( cannot discern from this picture) and looks like the back is out of balance from the vertical drag under the back scye. You may need to square the front shoulder and slope the back. That's my interpretation from what is shown. Better pictures of the entire jacket may reveal other things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads