• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

MrFingers

Reaction score
Not a tailor but the right side doesn’t look bad. What is going on with the cuff on your left leg—did you roll it up and if so why? I’d press the trousers properly (trouser crease shouldn’t extend up into the seat, for example), let the left leg hang the way it should, and take another set of photos.
When I put them on the legs felt too long so I rolled one up to see if it was right but I rolled it too much. Ideally I’d like absolutely no break which is maybe 0.5” shorter than the left leg. And yes good idea, I found this thread randomly and took quick pics. These are brown linen and haven’t been pressed since I wore them last but will do so and update pics with better lighting

BB_Adept

Reaction score
44R coat looks pretty good to my (non-tailor) eyes. You have very short arms/long torso so will shorten the sleeves. The vents don’t lie flat but I suspect that is because of a prominent seat rather than the side seams needing to be let out (unless the waist feels tight)

Yep, this is more of a seat than a waist issue. The 46 actually looks better in this regard but is far too big in all other regards. Waist does not feel tight at all, if anything it might be a bit loose.

It seems to me as if I tilt my pelvic forward. I might do that, but on this pic it looks prominent to me. Apart from that i quite like the look of the light brown sport coat but this does bother me to be honest. Might not be as visible during everyday wear, but not perfect either. Stupid squats make my but grow :D . Any chance a tailor can do something about it?

Last edited:

Dibidoolandas

Reaction score
Got this unstructured J Crew suit as a gift and need some advice. I usually hover between a 38 or a 40 and got this in a 38... I think it fits me a little tight/weird in general around the shoulders.
IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

I showed it to my tailor who said it looked tight and I could go up to a 40 and then maybe do alterations. It's final sale though so I'd have to buy a new blazer (it's $50 right now so not exactly breaking the bank). Still I'm worried about sunk cost fallacy here, it might just not fit my body type well. Also it's got that weird puffy cuff thing going on on the right shoulder that I'm not a fan of. What do you guys think? Live with it, size up and tailor, or sell it?

Vizard

Reaction score
Not a terrible starting point and there is an element of personal preference.

Jacket - I would nip the waist in a bit and shorten it so that the length is level with the bottom of your buttocks.

Trousers - Slightly shorter and possibly taper and / or add a turn-up (cuff).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got this unstructured J Crew suit as a gift and need some advice. I usually hover between a 38 or a 40 and got this in a 38... I think it fits me a little tight/weird in general around the shoulders.
View attachment 1726995
View attachment 1727000
View attachment 1726997
I showed it to my tailor who said it looked tight and I could go up to a 40 and then maybe do alterations. It's final sale though so I'd have to buy a new blazer (it's $50 right now so not exactly breaking the bank). Still I'm worried about sunk cost fallacy here, it might just not fit my body type well. Also it's got that weird puffy cuff thing going on on the right shoulder that I'm not a fan of. What do you guys think? Live with it, size up and tailor, or sell it?
Think your instinct that this does work with your body type is the probable conclusion. Casual, unconstructed pieces like this have to complement the body type. It either does or doesn't. Alterations won’t change this.
Regardless of fit, the styling is so quirky, don’t think it works for anyone. The curved opening at the hem is too conventional to work with the length. Length is too short and distorts everything. The button position is too high.
The diagonal pull is greater on the right due to your low right shoulder.
Definitely pass on this one IMO.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New suit. I have lost weight so I went down from a 41 to a 40.
Nothing wrong here, jacket drapes well and looks clean. Trouser looks clean, especially the back. Jacket just looks a little big and has no shape or expression. This may be your new size but try other makers and see if you find some proportions that may be more flattering to you.
Do you have any specific concerns about this suit?

floridasenior

Reaction score
Nothing wrong here, jacket drapes well and looks clean. Trouser looks clean, especially the back. Jacket just looks a little big and has no shape or expression. This may be your new size but try other makers and see if you find some proportions that may be more flattering to you.
Do you have any specific concerns about this suit?
I would like your opinion of the back of the jacket. I see pictures where the back of the jacket is almost perfectly smooth. Do you need extra fabric in the back of the jacket so that you can move your arms forward? Is there too much extra fabric on the back of this jacket. If too much, can anything be done? I should mention that this an OTR suit.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Back is big across the blades and shoulder width.
Your right shoulder is a bit lower than the left so you see a bit more breaking on that side. You can see it on the front and back view.
hard to alter because you can only reduce the backpart and involves opening the sleeves.
If you are able to try on suits from other makers you may find a brand that fits your body better. You don’t seem hard to fit, just look for a more flattering silhouette.

Last edited:

Vizard

Reaction score
The suit cost the OP $100.

No, it doesn't fit perfectly. No, he is not symmetrical.. But then he isn't asking for a bespoke look.

If he spends another $100 on having the jacket waist nipped in and the trousers tapered / shortened a little he will end up with a good looking suit for $200.

What's not to like!

Iskander

Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping for your feedback on these trousers. They are OTR in size 33.
I know are too tapered below knee, but what about your other thoughts on fit? They feel comfortable except that I have the feeling that they are riding up in my buttcrack (sorry I do not know politer way of saying this). It does not look like it in the photos though.

Camera placement is a bit low so I can try to take better ones if this makes a distortion.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping for your feedback on these trousers. They are OTR in size 33.
I know are too tapered below knee, but what about your other thoughts on fit? They feel comfortable except that I have the feeling that they are riding up in my buttcrack (sorry I do not know politer way of saying this). It does not look like it in the photos though.

Camera placement is a bit low so I can try to take better ones if this makes a distortion.

View attachment 1730206

Are you new to wearing tailored trousers?

Two thoughts

Have the crotch let out, may be 1/2" outlet. That should be enough to make a difference.

This area of the trouser is on the bias and stretches with movement. Wearing them a couple times may make them more comfortable and allow you to get used to the fit.

Iskander

Reaction score
Are you new to wearing tailored trousers?

Two thoughts

Have the crotch let out, may be 1/2" outlet. That should be enough to make a difference.

This area of the trouser is on the bias and stretches with movement. Wearing them a couple times may make them more comfortable and allow you to get used to the fit.
Thank you for the thoughts. I have not worn tailored trousers in several years, so is possible I am not accustomed to how they should feel. I was surprised to see how slim they look in the photos.
I will see if the crotch can be let out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads