• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
My never sharpened, 3 year old pre-sample of what became our stainless steel knife

It hurt me a bit to see how the knife was being abused lol but cool video nonetheless. Orlando's reactions were funny!

They way the glued sole detached without ruining the upper makes me think that the shoes could indeed be resoled in many cases, assuming that the stitching can be cut open without damaging the upper. Maybe there'd be a risk of destroying the upper but I don't know, I would find it interesting anyway.

Thanks for taking the time. Cheers

Rewiag

Reaction score
I'm not sure how trustworthy he is now...

the post was TLDR, but what from i read i can understand that the OP is not SURE that the claim of the particular leather on the CP is false, all he is claiming that Chrome tanned leather CAN BE good, which is true, but it does not falsify the claim that the CP is made of crap chrome tanned leather...

as for the rest, everyone can make up their mind if they like unfinished edges, cardboard insole etc.

boot_owl

Reaction score
the post was TLDR, but what from i read i can understand that the OP is not SURE that the claim of the particular leather on the CP is false, all he is claiming that Chrome tanned leather CAN BE good, which is true, but it does not falsify the claim that the CP is made of crap chrome tanned leather...

This is the perfect example of why the video is so damaging.

The video maker claims that the shoe is bad BECAUSE it is chrome tanned, and is refuted (i.e. his reasoning is based on a false assumption) with an explanation that chrome tan does not equal bad.

The onus should be on the video maker to give evidence that the leather is low quality if he wants to call it so. Yet there are watchers who accept his deduction as fact, even when his evidence is based on flawed knowledge. Somehow it is now up to others to prove that the leather is high quality?

Rewiag

Reaction score
This is the perfect example of why the video is so damaging.

The video maker claims that the shoe is bad BECAUSE it is chrome tanned, and is refuted (i.e. his reasoning is based on a false assumption) with an explanation that chrome tan does not equal bad.

The onus should be on the video maker to give evidence that the leather is low quality if he wants to call it so. Yet there are watchers who accept his deduction as fact, even when his evidence is based on flawed knowledge. Somehow it is now up to others to prove that the leather is high quality?

well, no. The guy made a video with a claim. Now the reddit poster makes a counterclaim, but offers no evidence either. The post would be usefully if it would give us some proof that the leather is actually good, but all it does is to tell us that it is not necessarily bad.

boot_owl

Reaction score
well, no. The guy made a video with a claim. Now the reddit poster makes a counterclaim, but offers no evidence either. The post would be usefully if it would give us some proof that the leather is actually good, but all it does is to tell us that it is not necessarily bad.

Bortalizer was not claiming that CP leather is good, he was saying that chrome tan = bad is not a valid metric for determining quality.

Rose Anvil's metric for judging CP leather to be low quality was that it is chrome tanned. He also went into the classic full grain top grain etc myth but you can PM me if you want to know why that's bs.

Let me try a different way of explaining

Rose Anvil:
Assumption: Chrome taned leather is bad for sneakers
Conclusion: CP is bad because it is chrome taned

Bortalizer:
Refutation: Actually, chrome tanned leather is widely used in shoes and isn't necessarily bad quality
Conclusion: CP leather isn't necessarily good or bad just because it is chrome tanned, that is a bad metric

That's the last I'll say on the topic in this thread. If you can't see why there is an issue with Rose Anvil's logic and therefore credibility, no amount of logic from me will help you.

Reactions: flx

Rewiag

Reaction score
Rose Anvil:
Assumption: Chrome taned leather is bad for sneakers
Conclusion: CP is bad because it is chrome taned

Bortalizer:
Refutation: Actually, chrome tanned leather is widely used in shoes and isn't necessarily bad quality
Conclusion: CP leather isn't necessarily good or bad just because it is chrome tanned, that is a bad metric

then you both miss the point of RA's claim:
the main point was that the leather is not of good quality. The why is secondary. The OP tries to argue with the why, instead of the core claim, which is pointless.

boot_owl

Reaction score
the main point was that the leather is not of good quality. The why is secondary.

1593435232181.png

Reactions: flx

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This discussion on CP oddly reminds me of some of the religious discussions I’ve heard. And it’s a reminder of how it’s very difficult for people to admit they’ve been taken for a ride....lol. I say, if one wants to spend gratuitous amounts of cash for things, more power to them. But for me, I’ll stick with Archibald when I can.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just received the following message in my inbox and I am not going to say from whom. I don't really know what to say to something like this so in the event anyone feels we haven't been as upfront and open about the situation, I thought it best to offer another update.

The couriers we use in Italy sent a message on Friday indicating movement of the first batches from Italy to the UK where they can be re-packaged and dispatched at our forwarding center (my living room - to cut expenses due to the Covid crisis and help support Naked further). As soon as they arrive here we will be posting pictures, the content of all the deliveries going out which we intend to do so in stages according to country and the shipping time to said country, US, Europe and RoW, UK. Again you will be the first to know as soon as they arrive here and tracking information will be sent as soon as they are dispatched.

Again, my apologies for the entire situation if it was not for the pandemic we might have even been a week earlier than the original ETA. It caused an almost impossible to manage the situation given the number of SKUs and different options we had offered in the drop and no one could have predicted how the last few months were going to go.

Best,

Rohan

"So here we are exactly 1 month since you sent me this email and surprise surprise i still haven’t had either the emails you promised nor an update on the delivery of my order......

Yet you continue to take orders via a rerun of the “naked promotion” and celebrate the new biker jacket.......this increasingly feel like a giant bubble about to burst ....you pretending to be the artisans fairy “godmother” keeping them in work by offering products to “gullible” customers (yes including me) at manufactured cost price (no business can operate by not covering their costs) but that’s a ok because you never actually full fill orders by blaming Covid -19 or the quality of the raw materials or some other crisis at the suppliers until such time as you have amassed sufficient money to sail away into the sunset never to be seen again......and we are left to wonder how we ever let this happen......

Well I’m calling you out and and I’m sure all of you social media followers will be very interested to see our email exchange, lets see what happens then... "

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and something I wrote to a journalist at the Irish Business Times regarding Naked and the thinking behind it in case anyone wondered.

Many thanks for your message and interest in Archibald.

We are continuing with the Naked campaign for at the very least another 4 weeks and might extend it well after to ensure a smooth transition for our craftsmen. It is an extremely precarious situation for them given most luxury brands have canceled many of their orders due for the AW20 season so we want to do whatever we can to support right through. I have to also state that though the campaign was designed to help us grow as a brand as well, there have been a number of positive externalities so it hasn't all been altruistic as such. We have experienced immense growth and it has been a wonderful opportunity for customers to acquaint themselves with us and then take a chance on us at the attractive Naked prices, from there the products we deliver from our network of craftspeople do the talking and we have a customer for life.

So though we are making no margin on each sale, and all the money spent on advertising means an effective loss...(we aided this by very much returning to the style we had grown from and quite literally cut all the luxury's and reverted to being a living room startup whilst managing to keep the entire team together) the net result is we have grown the size and exposure of the brand by a pretty hefty multiple and helped saved the livelihood of many of the craftspeople that are the effective backbone of the brand. Naked is our unique approach to solving the business problem brought forth by COVID and given a cornerstone of our business is to create a human-centric enterprise.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just received the following message in my inbox and I am not going to say from whom. I don't really know what to say to something like this so in the event anyone feels we haven't been as upfront and open about the situation, I thought it best to offer another update.

The couriers we use in Italy sent a message on Friday indicating movement of the first batches from Italy to the UK where they can be re-packaged and dispatched at our forwarding center (my living room - to cut expenses due to the Covid crisis and help support Naked further). As soon as they arrive here we will be posting pictures, the content of all the deliveries going out which we intend to do so in stages according to country and the shipping time to said country, US, Europe and RoW, UK. Again you will be the first to know as soon as they arrive here and tracking information will be sent as soon as they are dispatched.

Again, my apologies for the entire situation if it was not for the pandemic we might have even been a week earlier than the original ETA. It caused an almost impossible to manage the situation given the number of SKUs and different options we had offered in the drop and no one could have predicted how the last few months were going to go.

Best,

Rohan

"So here we are exactly 1 month since you sent me this email and surprise surprise i still haven’t had either the emails you promised nor an update on the delivery of my order......

Yet you continue to take orders via a rerun of the “naked promotion” and celebrate the new biker jacket.......this increasingly feel like a giant bubble about to burst ....you pretending to be the artisans fairy “godmother” keeping them in work by offering products to “gullible” customers (yes including me) at manufactured cost price (no business can operate by not covering their costs) but that’s a ok because you never actually full fill orders by blaming Covid -19 or the quality of the raw materials or some other crisis at the suppliers until such time as you have amassed sufficient money to sail away into the sunset never to be seen again......and we are left to wonder how we ever let this happen......

Well I’m calling you out and and I’m sure all of you social media followers will be very interested to see our email exchange, lets see what happens then... "
Is this email to you regarding the SF-01? If so, just tell this dickhead to **** off.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this email to you regarding the SF-01? If so, just tell this dickhead to **** off.
Yep about the SF-01, it seems a bunch of people have issue with us advertising the Nakef initiative even given these are late. The whole point is to create a back log of work for the craftsmen so not sure why they are getting bugged out. Also it is a bit weird its not like the people making the shoes make everything else...

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who is the “Karen” here? Show yourself!

but yeah, there’s a pandemic killing 500,000+ people, my new shoes aren’t really a big deal at this moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads