1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

+ The Streetwear Suits and Blazers Thread +

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Oct 23, 2012.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Just wondering, but could you elaborate? Is it because the jackets aren't canvassed (actually, are all not canvassed or are there some that are?) Any particular issues? And are you comparing to Jil/Raf with regard to price or some other brands?

3. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

this billy ried number looks like a good summer suit

[​IMG]

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

yeah, fabric looks nice and light.

sidebar: I can't stand that wrinkling that happens btwn the collar and shoulder. There's probably some tailor term for this and a reason such as improperly rotated sleeves or maybe just that it's unlined, but I find this fairly common on a lot of stuff and it drives me nuts. it's not a big deal on something really soft or chunky or already wrinkly... but on a jacket that's supposed to be crisp it irks.

did I mention it bugs me? ;-)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

From the WAYWT thread: Oski in MMM.

6. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

A few from my inspiration folder

Number (N)ine
    [​IMG]

Soloist/Nepenthes
    [​IMG]

EG
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soloist
    [​IMG]

Phenomenon
    [​IMG]

Our Legacy iirc
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Haven't seen a dries suit recently but past experience with the are that they are cut nice and slim, high armholes and drape quite nicely. But some were fused / some were canvassed, no handiwork, fabric colors nice but feel iffy, and just seem a bit off in a sense in terms of how it feels in my hand. Had a Jil suit I sold and Raf ones too, thought fabrics were a bit better. Just used them as they are more designerish and similar style. For a "designer" suit price is more reasonable but I'd stick to more CM suits, especially as some of the ones can be had on yoox or b&s for quite cheap (450-700 range). I'd kop a dries suit if I liked it for maybe $500 max, but even then I'd feel I'm pushing it. But a suit is all about cut and fit, construction could arguably be second in line so it's how you want to look at it.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Are you talking about the pitch? This is something that just can't be corrected with a big tailoring bill, and then, you put a lot of trust in your guy. The rare time I return something is when the pitch of the sleeve if off. Of course, I mostly wear jersey and otherwise "non-crispy" jackets, so it's not that much of an issue.

For me, the fit and material are much more important than construction. You have to ask yourself "Why do I need feature X? Or handiwork?" If it's because you enjoy the details, well, there is no arguing with that. But, to adopt Parker's language, for a non-"crispy" washed denim sports jacket, or whatever, you don't need an impeccable lapel roll. Actually, I'm not even sure what that would look like. And a distressed sportsjacket does not call for hand sewn button holes, while in a CM suit, they are really beautiful.

9. recneps56

recneps56 Member

dbl

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

not the sleeve pitch, but whatever this wrinkly spot is. I've noticed on almost every unlined/unpadded jacket I've tried. again... not really an issue with rougher, more casual fabrics. I think it might be the lack of any padding in the shoulder. there's just no structure to keep things smooth across there.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

jacket from the uniqlo tasmanian wool suit

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  12. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

That´s really nice, casey. Great fit on the jacket imo.

13. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I have never liked the look of a blazer with heavy raw denim (heavy, as in the color and cut are heavy), and I think that uniqlo generally calls for something more minimal. If that were an old chore jacket, sure, but the boots and jeans are too clunky for the jacket. I'd also have to advise against the black crew- a black T- neck would be fine, but the crewneck-under-blazer is something I associate - not positively - with the IT crowd.

On the plus side, the blazer looks like it fits well - and so do the jeans. Maybe try something a little sleeker on the bottom, like a pair of black 511s, even (I'm assuming blazer is black - can't really tell); and combined with a sleeker shoe I think you'll look great. As it is, though, I think that the bottom half is just a bit too heavy. I have a fairly specific look in mind when I wear jeans and a blazer, though, so feel free to disagree.

1 person likes this.
  14. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

interesting.. those jeans don't strike me as particularly chunky or heavy

also, i'm a fan of blazers worn with crewnecks, but the neck has to be somewhat forgiving and can't be clinging to the neck. lots of people here stick to the idea that a blazer can only be worn with deep v or scoop neck tees, and while I'm not against that, to exclude crewnecks altogether is silly. They give the ensemble a more "chaste" sober look, whereas a deeper neckline = more attitude, "sex appeal", whatever. but the latter isn't always desirable nameen?

1 person likes this.
  15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

In certain environments, on certain bodies, no.

16. Synthese

Well, right now I think Casey could - with more expensive shoes - fit very well into an Acura commercial. I'm going to stick to my guns here, and say that I just don't particularly like raw denim (unfaded) with blazers (at least, I can't think of any examples I have liked). I also don't particularly like the way most raw denim looks with black. It could very well be the shoes that are throwing it off for me, though. At first I thought they were Doc Martens, but maybe it's just the angle. They actually kind of look photoshopped in, for some reason.

1 person likes this.
  17. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Fair enough. Teger did bring up the boots issue in WAYWT, so I've been waiting for a pair of the gray HMMM size zips to show up on eBay in my size. I'd wear a better shirt if I had any, eventually I'll get a few of the loose AA t-shirts or something.

18. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

in a rainforest, for example, you'd probably find me wearing something other than a blazer

1 person likes this.
  19. Synthese

BCD, I think a looser crew would be OK. Doesn't have to be a v

20. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I'm sort of with Teger on this one -- sometimes, you just don't want to be strolling by the tenure committee like, 'Sup du's, does my body look sex-ay, holla!

Not that my pencil isn't smoking from taking notes.