• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

HistoryBuff1812

Reaction score
Last evening was the season opening of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and even though traditionally season openings of things like the Opera or Symphony or things of that nature were black-tie affairs, I knew I'd be one of the few people in a tuxedo. So, I decided to not go strictly black-tie and opted instead for an art-deco inspired bowtie from Beau Ties of Vermont in addition to some enamel cufflinks from the Chicago Lyric Opera. I'd say what I was going for was 'creative' black tie. I was still, by far, the most formally dresses saved for the musicians and conductor.
Oh, and yes I know my jacket is a bit tight, but when you're a muscular guy on a budget you make do with what you have 😅

Side note; is it too much to ask people be silent when the orchestra is playing? I swear every minute or so someone around had something they were compelled to say to their neighbor.

20220930_185456.jpg
20220930_210803.jpg
Screenshot_20221001_084457.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last evening was the season opening of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and even though traditionally season openings of things like the Opera or Symphony or things of that nature were black-tie affairs, I knew I'd be one of the few people in a tuxedo. So, I decided to not go strictly black-tie and opted instead for an art-deco inspired bowtie from Beau Ties of Vermont in addition to some enamel cufflinks from the Chicago Lyric Opera. I'd say what I was going for was 'creative' black tie. I was still, by far, the most formally dresses saved for the musicians and conductor.
Oh, and yes I know my jacket is a bit tight, but when you're a muscular guy on a budget you make do with what you have 😅

Side note; is it too much to ask people be silent when the orchestra is playing? I swear every minute or so someone around had something they were compelled to say to their neighbor.

View attachment 1838572 View attachment 1838573 View attachment 1838574
I don't mean this to sound sassy, but on a 1-10 scale, how comfortable are you when wearing this? You look a good deal thicker than me, and I have some (regrettably not cheap) jackets/suits where alterations threw the fit off enough that just lifting my arm in any motion even halfway approximating a bicep flex feels as though I'm going to bust through the seams...and those look looser than this jacket. Depending on your budget, I'd throw out Spier & Mackay as an option if you're looking for a tux and can somewhat fit their clothes.

juggzz

Reaction score
I've never used Cad and the Dandy.

What's your price point and location? If you're located in NYC I can recommend Mark Rykken of Britches Bespoke. He made my tuxedo and can turn around something in a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you, I'm in NYC, so I will check him out :)

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1838572 View attachment 1838573 View attachment 1838574
Kudos. Good work. Love the DSO.

HistoryBuff1812

Reaction score
I don't mean this to sound sassy, but on a 1-10 scale, how comfortable are you when wearing this? You look a good deal thicker than me, and I have some (regrettably not cheap) jackets/suits where alterations threw the fit off enough that just lifting my arm in any motion even halfway approximating a bicep flex feels as though I'm going to bust through the seams...and those look looser than this jacket. Depending on your budget, I'd throw out Spier & Mackay as an option if you're looking for a tux and can somewhat fit their clothes.

Not sassy at all! In general it's a little snug but not to the point of being uncomfortable. In addition I am on a cut right now so I will be losing a fair bit of weight which will make it fit better.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soliciting advice/preferences from the forum. I have a pair of wholecuts that would do in a pinch, but wanted to bump the sex appeal factor for upcoming holiday/year end festivities and get a pair of slippers.

I am somewhat constrained by price and time (the latter more so) considerations, so I'd have a preference for RTW/MTO...and even then my timeline (starting early December) would leave me a bittttt skittish regarding MTO.

I would be wearing them with a standard (mohair blend, satin SLPL) black tuxedo, if that sways any opinions.

At this point, the three primary options I'm looking at are Baudoin & Lange, Belgian Shoes, and Stubbs and Wootton, though happy to consider different makers. Are there any strong feelings for (or against) these options?

B&L: comfortably my top choice thus far. I think their slippers look gorgeous, and have heard good things. All things considered, I prefer their "plain" slippers to the ones with bow adornments. Something about the bow just looks a bit "meh" to me. Of the plains, I think I'd lean toward the suede, rather than the velvet. They both look lovely, but I might just prefer the more matte visual of the suede. Velvet also falls into a MTO buy, which doesn't help.

Stubbs: these do all look nice, though the "private stock" choices kinda strike me as a less appealing (visually and perhaps quality of make) and more expensive alternative. I do love the Jolly Roger option, but that's probably a bit too silly for a one (and for now, only) formal pair of slippers.

Belgians: Given my aversion (for reasons I cannot begin to guess at) to patent leather, I'd likely be looking at either calf or suede here.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soliciting advice/preferences from the forum. I have a pair of wholecuts that would do in a pinch, but wanted to bump the sex appeal factor for upcoming holiday/year end festivities and get a pair of slippers.

I am somewhat constrained by price and time (the latter more so) considerations, so I'd have a preference for RTW/MTO...and even then my timeline (starting early December) would leave me a bittttt skittish regarding MTO.

I would be wearing them with a standard (mohair blend, satin SLPL) black tuxedo, if that sways any opinions.

At this point, the three primary options I'm looking at are Baudoin & Lange, Belgian Shoes, and Stubbs and Wootton, though happy to consider different makers. Are there any strong feelings for (or against) these options?

B&L: comfortably my top choice thus far. I think their slippers look gorgeous, and have heard good things. All things considered, I prefer their "plain" slippers to the ones with bow adornments. Something about the bow just looks a bit "meh" to me. Of the plains, I think I'd lean toward the suede, rather than the velvet. They both look lovely, but I might just prefer the more matte visual of the suede. Velvet also falls into a MTO buy, which doesn't help.

Stubbs: these do all look nice, though the "private stock" choices kinda strike me as a less appealing (visually and perhaps quality of make) and more expensive alternative. I do love the Jolly Roger option, but that's probably a bit too silly for a one (and for now, only) formal pair of slippers.

Belgians: Given my aversion (for reasons I cannot begin to guess at) to patent leather, I'd likely be looking at either calf or suede here.

I have some Belgian loafers with a strap by Berwick that I like though I wish I didn’t size down, as well as some friulane velvet slippers by Velasca that I’ve worn on more occasions with the one tux I have. They have performed great, dancing and all. Though they might be a little too light for what it seems you’re looking for. Just my minuscule 2 cents. Good luck!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stubbs & Wooten are okay. I have a pair of Negroni embroidered evening slippers that I like. For me, though, I'd say that S&W fits quite narrow—not horribly so, but I think they run narrower than a standard width RTW shoe. I like Mount Street Shoe Company, based in London. I think Mount Street offers RTW options that might work for you.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought B&L suede for my dinner jacket. Didn’t like the experiment and am going back to velvet. Still use two pairs of suede for non DJ purposes.

Jazzthief

Reaction score

Suede is a big no-no for black-tie. It would be a huge contradiction to the formality of the dress as suede (loafers, slippers w/e) are as casual as one can get.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree with this. I have suede slippers, derbies and venetian loafers I like wearing with black tie. Would love to get some suede opera pumps made
Suede is a big no-no for black-tie. It would be a huge contradiction to the formality of the dress as suede (loafers, slippers w/e) are as casual as one can get.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, if you're gonna tell one of the below is totally fine, to the extent it is marketed as black tie footwear, and the other is a hard no-no, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I get "the rules," but that's a hard sell, from my vantage.

1665593306759.png

1665593323333.png

In any event, I feel safe saying the formality of the former is unlikely to be questioned by any passably sane person in the settings they'll find themselves worn.
@brax you don't by chance have any photos of the outfit handy, do you?

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lmao no one gives a **** anymore. Wear whatever the **** you like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads