• We would like to welcome Larimars Luxury Menswear as an official Affiliate Vendor. Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, and specializing in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check out their thread on here, welcome them, and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Nailed it! This should be posted in a FAQ for how to do black tie properly!

Where did you get your tuxedo and the various accessories?
🤣 Normal people are probably looking only at the bride but here we're like, "Yo but where did you get that cummerbund? Are those silk stockings??"

....No but seriously, I need to know the details on that sweet sweet jacket....

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like we need this post on speed dial to respond to folks who are resistant to classic black tie elements.

—“I hate the look of a cummerbund. It looks too anachronistic” Speed dial

—“Pleats on trousers make you look like an old man.” Uh…speed dial

It’s such a great example of how classic done right with proper cut and fit is thoroughly modern and elegant. Well done.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like we need this post on speed dial to respond to folks who are resistant to classic black tie elements.

—“I hate the look of a cummerbund. It looks too anachronistic” Speed dial

—“Pleats on trousers make you look like an old man.” Uh…speed dial

It’s such a great example of how classic done right with proper cut and fit is thoroughly modern and elegant. Well done.
It would be interesting to field test how many people (normies...not us weirdos lol) actually know what a cummerbund is, and then how many of those folks have feelings about them one way or the other.
I'd be very surprised if the results were more than 15%/10% respectively.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
It would be interesting to field test how many people (normies...not us weirdos lol) actually know what a cummerbund is, and then how many of those folks have feelings about them one way or the other.
I'd be very surprised if the results were more than 15%/10% respectively.
They think it holds your trousers up and that you wear it as an alternative to suspenders.

juggzz

Reaction score
That’s not me, but all bald headed brothers do look the same so I can see how one gets confused. I used a Formosa linen outfit for my big day.

The outfit is from Cad & Dandy and the pants are brown.
How was your experience with Cad & the Dandy overall? I paid them a visit to see what they're like for my upcoming wedding, and I was a little unhappy with the bait and switch. Looks like the prices on their website are not even close to reality, and they just haven't updated them. They still haven't updated them even after I raised the issue.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadracardcentre