• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I check, do SF members feel that it is acceptable to wear a black suede loafer with a dinner jacket for black tie?

The jacket and pants are in midnight blue. I’m thinking of getting jfitzpatrik’s butterfly loafer in black suede under his MTO half price offer.
By all means buy the shoes. Just don't wear them with a dinner jacket.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I check, do SF members feel that it is acceptable to wear a black suede loafer with a dinner jacket for black tie?

The jacket and pants are in midnight blue. I’m thinking of getting jfitzpatrik’s butterfly loafer in black suede under his MTO half price offer.

I wouldn't, unless perhaps I was hosting a black tie dinner in my home.

supern0va

Reaction score
I doubt you'd be refused entry wearing them. I do think once you're in the venue, you'll begin to wish you went with more conventional leather or patent leather oxfords. I know someone that wears calf leather black loafers for black tie events, but not suede.

I have black suede loafers to wear with my black velvet jacket for the dressed down / smoking jacket look. I doubt I’d ever wear them with a full black tie rig.
Cary Grant was famously photographed sat cross legged in conventional black tie rig with shiny black calf leather penny loafers.

By all means buy the shoes. Just don't wear them with a dinner jacket.

I wouldn't, unless perhaps I was hosting a black tie dinner in my home.

Thanks for the all replies! Sounds like a resounding no to me.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the collective wisdom on cuff link choices for a black tie rig?

I'm trying to lock down the last details of my tuxedo for my upcoming wedding. My outfit will be pretty traditional black tie (black, jetted pockets, peak grosgrain, suspenders, side tabs) with a few venial sins (double vents, black cap toe oxfords)

Other than my tux shirt, I don't own any french cuff shirts and therefore do not have any cuff links nor do I necessarily see a big use for them in my future. Is this a place where I can add a little color or should i stick to the standard black? The three choices I am thinking are:

classic: http://www.kentwang.com/cuff-links/silver-oval-onyx.html

for my Irish heritage: http://www.kentwang.com/cuff-links/silver-oval-malachite.html

to match the lining of my jacket: http://www.kentwang.com/cuff-links/guilloche-enamel-purple.html

other than Kent Wang, any place to look for reasonably price and interesting cuff links?

Nat Jag

Reaction score
You could go with the standard choices. I had some gold coloured cuff links left from my Grandad, I just made sure my dress studs matched in being gold with black centre. From the links, if you choose any of those, I'd make sure you had matching dress studs. Of course if your shirt placket conceals the buttons, choice is yours.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could go with the standard choices. I had some gold coloured cuff links left from my Grandad, I just made sure my dress studs matched in being gold with black centre. From the links, if you choose any of those, I'd make sure you had matching dress studs. Of course if your shirt placket conceals the buttons, choice is yours.

I'll be doing standard black tuxedo studs on the shirt...do the shirt studs and the cuff links need to match?

Nat Jag

Reaction score
I'll be doing standard black tuxedo studs on the shirt...do the shirt studs and the cuff links need to match?
I would say yes, from those choices. Here's my studs, with the cuff links I'd usually wear as an example. If I had any think similar to your choices indicated, I'd get them to match the studs.
Hope that helps

IMG_0054.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is better is the cufflinks and studs form a set, but if they don't match it isn't something that stands out in a bad way.

ZRH1

Reaction score
question re: patent shoes. Do they match with grosgrain facings? These are more subdued relative to satin, hence my doubts.

ababac

Reaction score
^
absolutely. patent opera pumps usually have a grosgrain bow, and patent shoes look beautiful with grosgrain ribbon laces.
you can purchase those from here and i'm sure i've seen them elsewere, however i made my own. a couple of lengths of silk ribbon from a haberdashery, a bit of black thread to wrap around the ends, and a few aglets to finish and all's done. this had the added benefit of ensuring my laces were the right length for my shoes.
i'd take a picture but my shoes are at the cobbler's at present.

dan'l

Reaction score
Interesting! I never thought of making my own ribbon laces, but now that you mention it, it doesn’t seem so difficult.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents. Just back from a cruise around Scandinavia and Baltic Europe.

The cruise line, like others I expect, is not the formal experience that it once was.

We had just two ‘formal’ evenings in twelve, when the suggested dress was suits and ties for the gentlemen or black tie.

I wore black tie on both formal nights, varying my Berwin & Berwin suit with a change of shirt, bow, cufflinks, pocket square and socks.

We went to see Swan Lake while in St Petersburg when the suggested dress was smart including a jacket for men. For this occasion I wore a suit.

Thinking about the state of black tie, I noticed many more men than I had expected making an effort. Most had ‘fallen short’ of ‘SF standards' in some way or other - perhaps pre-tied bow, very ordinary matt shoes, wing collar shirt - but the overall impression in the Dining Room was a pleasant surprise. And also at the ballet, where a small handful of men had gone to the trouble of black tie.

Anyway, I include below for your comments some pictures of the first of my two black tie efforts:

Formal Eve 1 B&B (2).jpg

Formal Eve 1 glasses (2).jpg

Formal Eve 1 Lingfields (2).jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads