• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear it with my black wool (Draper’s Barathea) trousers from my tuxedo.

I do not. I know some find silk to be heat trapping and wear warm but to me I think without the direct sunlight in the summer it wears rather cool. I wear a cummerbund instead of a waistcoat so I don’t have the extra layer to make me warmer in the summer, and I am generally very comfortable. A cold drink in hand usually helps as well
An ivory Dupioni jacket! Awesome!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not the "just do as you like" type, either.
That would be me.

It's a class statement, whether we like it or not. And wearing it on occasions when no one else in the group is wearing it is a little gauche IMO.
I'm way past the point where being considered gauche is of much concern to me.

Although I will say that the way Andy refuses to lessen the formality of events that once required black tie, but no longer do, is endearing.
Thank you. I'll be refusing to lessen the formality of dinner tonight with friends, and resolutely refusing to lessen the formality of New Year's Eve at the Top of the Mark at the Mark Hopkins in San Francisco. Green velvet tonight, I think, and party red silk tomorrow!
:slayer:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be me.

I'm way past the point where being considered gauche is of much concern to me.

Thank you. I'll be refusing to lessen the formality of dinner tonight with friends, and resolutely refusing to lessen the formality of New Year's Eve at the Top of the Mark at the Mark Hopkins in San Francisco. Green velvet tonight, I think, and party red silk tomorrow!
:slayer:
I similarly find myself squarely in the “*******” crowd. Do what thou will, and enjoy it :cheers:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not the "just do as you like" type, either. The sense of occasion that makes black tie mandatory (Or at least not unexpected. Think Black Tie Optional.) in some cases makes it prohibited in others. It's special because it's rare and because you can afford to have a suit that you might put on three or four times a year. It's a class statement, whether we like it or not. And wearing it on occasions when no one else in the group is wearing it is a little gauche IMO. Although I will say that the way Andy refuses to lessen the formality of events that once required black tie, but no longer do, is endearing.
The problem is where the standards are set. I was in Paris this month and a lot of the men, even in restaurants where lunch costs 50 euros, wore what appeared to be toddler tracksuits. I'm not keen on jeans, I do not wear them anymore, but they at least look like trousers. If that is the occasion what are we to wear? And this applies to the whole spectrum. If people wear, on average and in the majority, jeans to actual black tie events, would you be "gauche" for daring to respect the dress code?

Anyway, in France class is signalled by culture, and the rive gauche is most cultured ;)

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to comment on this one for a while, but I could never find a good photo. This will have to do:

DyxuNYw.jpg

Now back when I lived in the place where the clouds hang 50m above your head 360 days of the year it was very common for people to wear normal white shirts with black tie (without studs).

I chalked it up to: there not being any decent (read: 1 or 2 studs showing, stiff front) RTW shirts on offer in the UK except perhaps at a couple places in W1; people being lazy (cf the absence of waist covering in 95% of outfits, and the extremely small number of people who still starch their shirts); studs as jewelry being too showy and going against the spirit of black tie (don't get noticed, etc.). I actually prefer a normal shirt (with MOP buttons, and impeccably tailored) over a covered placket if one is not going to wear studs, but that is a function of my past experiences only.

Since we cannot discuss appropriateness when it is done by not one but two royals (including the one everybody holds up on a pedestal sartorially), how do you feel when you see this?

Edit for another better quality photo:

3543f458beb8ee8e8b67c383461d6a92.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(I am also looking forward to reactions to the pocket square colour, and the mismatching between grosgrain lapels and a shiny satin tie)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(I am also looking forward to reactions to the pocket square colour, and the mismatching between grosgrain lapels and a shiny satin tie)
But mainly the pocket square. We had that conversation before. Andy, I’m expecting something naughty from your pocketsquare New Years! Hahhahaha.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy new year in 4 hours from Sydney. This NYE stuff is always a great occasion for creative black tie. I am staying positive and I won't refer the title of this thread or its theme:

bY1b0Sh.jpg

Amazingly, this was an improvement over the badly fitting clown outfit with jeans (but at least, a bow tie) worn by the presenter of the "family fireworks".

OK, I'll stop now. Happy new year to everybody and have a lot of great black tie parties with well tailored clothing.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am invited to a NYE party with some friends aged 25-30. There is no dress code but it is stated that you should dress respectfully towards the other guests. The words glamour, flair etc should be used as a guidance towards what how to dress. I am planning on using my vintage tuxedo but a friend of mine said it will look really silly as I might be one of the few atendees out of the ca. 15 men that will wear a tuxedo. I have checked with the hosts and they have told me tuxedo works fine. My question to you is: will I stand out as and idiot by wearing the tuxedo when most of the other men will be wearing suit and tie?

Happy New Year!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are comfortable wearing it, if you're not even thinking about it, then nobody will notice. Been in this situation twice this month already. Well, last month as of 26 minutes ago :p

Do post a photo!

HGriffin

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a price check. I'm selling a few things but not sure what price to charge:

Suit Supply Lazio Tuxedo (S110s): Link Paid £379 and only worn twice
Suit Supply Tuxedo Shirt (Egyptian Cotton): Link Paid £79 and only worn twice

What would be a fair price for the above? I've not sold a suit before so not sure what a used Suit Supply usually goes for. Thanks again!

RJG

Reaction score
Wear a tux at a NYE party. Why not? Bring a great bottle of champagne !
Who gives a rip what everyone else is wearing.
Heck, it's why I'm on this forum in the first place.
Have a great time !

Lensmaster

Reaction score
I am invited to a NYE party with some friends aged 25-30. There is no dress code but it is stated that you should dress respectfully towards the other guests. The words glamour, flair etc should be used as a guidance towards what how to dress. I am planning on using my vintage tuxedo but a friend of mine said it will look really silly as I might be one of the few atendees out of the ca. 15 men that will wear a tuxedo. I have checked with the hosts and they have told me tuxedo works fine. My question to you is: will I stand out as and idiot by wearing the tuxedo when most of the other men will be wearing suit and tie?

Happy New Year!

If the hosts say it is ok then you are very safe in wearing it. Wear it with confidence and you will be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads