• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

palk

Reaction score
Just took receipt of my dinner jacket from my tailor. I asked for open quarters to give the jacket more symmetry, which I think is elegant. What do you guys think?

Just my opinion, but since you asked for it: I think that its lightness and open quarters make it more of a stroller jacket / daywear than a dinner jacket / eveningwear. Throw on some grey trousers instead of that odd blue pair, and I think your above outfit would be a smart modern interpretation of the stroller.

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but since you asked for it: I think that its lightness and open quarters make it more of a stroller jacket / daywear than a dinner jacket / eveningwear. Throw on some grey trousers instead of that odd blue pair, and I think your above outfit would be a smart modern interpretation of the stroller.

A good point - I had assumed it was actually black, and the appearance here was an artifact of the photo/lighting. Maybe Benjamin can confirm this point. Stylistic choices are still open for discussion :)

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do like the sweep of the lapels and the bottom quarters - it has a nice flow to it. I think the button may be a bit high, and the jacket a bit short, but it's not out of line with modern styling.

Thank you for your feedback. The buttoning point is located 1" about my belly button, I guess that's a little higher than the classical stance. The jacket does look a bit short, but in a full body shot I did after, I measured the top block and the bottom block and its right about 50/50. I do have shorter legs. My pants are still at the tailor since I wanted them more tapered. Once I get them back, I'll do a full rig shot!

Just my opinion, but since you asked for it: I think that its lightness and open quarters make it more of a stroller jacket / daywear than a dinner jacket / eveningwear.  Throw on some grey trousers instead of that odd blue pair, and I think your above outfit would be a smart modern interpretation of the stroller.

Thanks! The jacket is actually solid black! It looks lighter because it was really hard to take a photo of it indoors and see the details clearly, so I bumped up the brightness. I was under the assumption that stroller suits have much longer tails?

A good point - I had assumed it was actually black, and the appearance here was an artifact of the photo/lighting. Maybe Benjamin can confirm this point. Stylistic choices are still open for discussion :)

Yep, I did indeed brightened it, that's why it looks so weird!

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback. The buttoning point is located 1" about my belly button, I guess that's a little higher than the classical stance. The jacket does look a bit short, but in a full body shot I did after, I measured the top block and the bottom block and its right about 50/50. I do have shorter legs.

It's not the end of the world, and overall looks decent. A lower button stance would result in longer lapels and a longer shirt triangle, which in turn would visually elongate your torso.

Look forward to seeing a full photo!

Last edited:

randomatom

Reaction score
I'm vey curious about this topic. Usually, I subscribe more to the "study and start with the rules" camp, but I'm contemplating what what many of you might consider a mortal sin of semi-formal wear: breaking up a tuxedo and pairing with jeans. Here are the specifics:

Midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo jacket with no vents, jetted pockets and black satin lapel/buttons/pocket lining, bespoke.

White band/Henley collared shirt with French front (no placket). I think this is actually the piece that might pull it all together. Its lack of collar prohibits me from wearing a tie, and leaving the top two buttons undone will help dress down the jacket. This item is also bespoke.

Black jeans, slim fit.

Navy suede loafers from Zegna, to be worn with no-show socks.

I'm curious to hear feedback. The setting is my 35th birthday party at a somewhat nice bar in the evening. I should add that it's in San Francisco, where most men go to bars wearing Patagonia puffies or a hoodie. I don't want to be too over-the-top, but something about breaking a couple of rules appeals to me for this occasion.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sounds absolutely horrid, ugly, and tasteless. There are better ways to dress decently in places where jacket and tie are not common. But ultimately, it's up to you.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, sounds like something an early 2000s Jersey Shore guido would wear. You're better off wearing a slim but well fitting suit with a crisp shirt and pocket square sans tie. Pick one with a more casual fabric like linen, mohair, silk blends, or flannel. SF is dress down but no one will fault a well dressed man. Check out SuitSupply, the have a decent selection of styles at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

palk

Reaction score
I'm vey curious about this topic. Usually, I subscribe more to the "study and start with the rules" camp, but I'm contemplating what what many of you might consider a mortal sin of semi-formal wear: breaking up a tuxedo and pairing with jeans. Here are the specifics:

Midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo jacket with no vents, jetted pockets and black satin lapel/buttons/pocket lining, bespoke.

White band/Henley collared shirt with French front (no placket). I think this is actually the piece that might pull it all together. Its lack of collar prohibits me from wearing a tie, and leaving the top two buttons undone will help dress down the jacket. This item is also bespoke.

Black jeans, slim fit.

Navy suede loafers from Zegna, to be worn with no-show socks.

I'm curious to hear feedback. The setting is my 35th birthday party at a somewhat nice bar in the evening. I should add that it's in San Francisco, where most men go to bars wearing Patagonia puffies or a hoodie. I don't want to be too over-the-top, but something about breaking a couple of rules appeals to me for this occasion.

It's curious that you're asking about an outfit without a tie in the "black tie" thread, but I'll humor you. To me it sounds like you're trying to wear a tuxedo as a blazer, to which I'd recommend you try to find an actual blazer better suited to your outfit. If you insist on black jeans, perhaps something light grey, approaching an ensemble like this but in a different palette:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black tie is black tie and shouldn't be messed with. A silk lapelled dinner jacket as part of that is sacrosanct IMO. There are ways to do a casual outfit inspired by evening wear but anything involving a dinner jacket brings to mind the period of aberration when Ralph Lauren was wearing dinner jacket, evening shirt, bow tie and blue jeans.

I went to a New Years party at a friend's house once wearing black velvet blazer, white fly-fronted evening shirt with no tie, black wool strides and suede Venetian loafers (with socks!) - it was an experiment that I thought was a success but haven't had the opportunity to repeat it!

SW1Y

Reaction score
Talking about NYE, this is how we did it...

It's a throw together of all kinds of brands and styles, but hey, I'd like to think it's more or less the appropriate uniform for the formal occasion. And yes, events are far and few between, if only some of us can hold the fort black tie might remain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads