• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

J011yroger

Reaction score
Looks nice to me, tie looks a little odd, like it is very wide but not very thick.

Other than that I think it's great.

J

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice to me, tie looks a little odd, like it is very wide but not very thick.

J

Thanks! Might be something about the way I tied it, but I don't think I'd want a bow tie made from a thicker fabric, it would become very unwieldy.

J011yroger

Reaction score
Might just be an exaggerated butterfly.

What's the deal with this? DB stroller?

J

E TF

Reaction score

J

Thanks! Might be something about the way I tied it, but I don't think I'd want a bow tie made from a thicker fabric, it would become very unwieldy.

You should unspoiler your pics - this thread could do with more!

Looks good, but I agree the tie looks a bit odd, a bit too large perhaps, or the knot part too small relative to the rest.

J011yroger

Reaction score
You never let me do anything fun!

I have black tie events next week Sat and Sun, so I will be back on track.

J

J011yroger

Reaction score
Also, the vest came out mint. Soaked it in warm water with oxy-clean overnight, then rinsed it this morning and soaked it for another 8 hours.

Have it hanging in the boiler room to dry now, and I'll iron it tomorrow.

J

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, a combination of two conversations made me think of an entirely academic question. Conversation #1: @MrDaniels asked me if I would be wearing my morning coat to watch Olympic hockey, it being a formal occasion in Canada (he also asks me, frequently, whether my formal plaid flannel shirts are pleated or plain front, and such like). Second, there's much debate about whether to go to sleep early, and get up for the 4 am Pacific Time gold medal game, or to pull the all nighter.

So, if a formal event starts in the afternoon, and extends into the evening, one is supposed to wear morning dress. If a formal event starts in the evening, and extends into the morning, ought one, then, to wear evening dress?

As I'm sure this comes up for all of us very frequently, we should probably discuss it over several pages.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads