• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recently invited to attend a wedding back in Sydney (where i'm originally from), and i asked the groom for clarification on any dress codes, specifically whether it was black tie, and should i wear my tuxedo/bow tie etc. The reply was something along the lines of "Nah, just wear a black suit....though it would amuse me to see you show up looking like the monopoly guy". 

I'd say amongst my circle of friends (currently we're around 30 years of age) the concept of black tie has pretty much been lost (if it were ever even known by any)...

The monopoly guy wears morning dress... Honestly!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recently invited to attend a wedding back in Sydney (where i'm originally from), and i asked the groom for clarification on any dress codes, specifically whether it was black tie, and should i wear my tuxedo/bow tie etc. The reply was something along the lines of "Nah, just wear a black suit....though it would amuse me to see you show up looking like the monopoly guy". 

I'd say amongst my circle of friends (currently we're around 30 years of age) the concept of black tie has pretty much been lost (if it were ever even known by any)...

Depressing. Black tie is easier to do well IMO than wearing a typical suit and tie.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depressing. Black tie is easier to do well IMO than wearing a typical suit and tie.

My generation (also about 30) has a large contingent of people who look down on anyone that actually tries at anything. At one time I was aiming to be an NHL referee; without that goal I probably would have been sucked into the same trap. So, if you look like you made an effort to look fantastic, you can be looked at as a "try-hard." How that ever became an insult... Anyway, I've noticed people ae only just starting to outgrow that crap.

Likely because of the formal wear revival in the 80's, it is associated with old people, and with values we seem to have rejected, like wanting things.

J011yroger

Reaction score
It's not a problem with your generation, it's a problem with your friends.

Get rid of the wrong people, and you make room for the right ones.

J

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My generation (also about 30) has a large contingent of people who look down on anyone that actually tries at anything.

It's not the generation, it's the age group. Once people are in their late thirties, they start to realise that dressing like a grownup is not a bad thing.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not the generation, it's the age group. Once people are in their late thirties, they start to realise that dressing like a grownup is not a bad thing.

It's about everything, not just dressing. And it is not specifically about dressing properly - it is about caring how you look, or caring about anything. 20-22 year old's may fail to look good, but, from those I know, it is not for lack of caring, generally.

Lensmaster

Reaction score

I've never been invited to a black tie function before, sadly. I'm 24 though, so it's not exactly common at my age. I live in NYC and I'm gonna go out on New Years dressed up in a velvet jacket I've modified a bit to be more dinner jacket like and the rest of the black tie trappings pretty much traditional (semiformal pants, cummerbund, bow tie all JAB black satin silk.. well the pants are wool but the stripe is satin). The shirt is a tuxedo shirt with fly front and smokey MOP cufflinks.

I'm wearing these chelsea boots: http://www.loake.co.uk/hutchinson.html They are extremely sleek and the calf skin on them is beautiful. I'll obviously give them a good spit shine before using them for this purpose, but the shoe itself is very very sleek and the toe is unadorned as chelsea boots are. It might not be "traditional" in many people's minds but according to black tie guide, it was pretty common for a while maybe 100 years ago or so. Either way, the profile of the shoe and the lack of adornment is pretty much perfect for the sleek nature of the outfit and it is winter, so I see no problems.

The jacket started out as a midnight blue velvet blazer with a subtle printed geometric pattern, which I bought from Zara. I replaced the tacky brass Zara logo'd buttons with smoked mother of pearl and tucked the pocket flaps into the pockets (they are finished in a way that makes this appropriate looking).

I am aware some people do not think it is wise to deviate from tradition but the entire thing comes off as tasteful. I have been putting it together for about a year now. I essentially am wearing a tuxedo with a midnight blue velvet jacket. This is an appropriate substitution from everything I have read, barring the fact that my jacket is more dressing up a blazer through alterations and surrounding articles of clothing rather than a traditional velvet smoking jacket or dinner jacket. Also, keep in mind the context is me dressing up during holidays/winter of my own accord. If I was invited to a black tie wedding, I would buy a tuxedo. I know the limits this sort of outfit has but I think that I have also kept it tasteful and I am excited to wear it.

That sounds like a very classy, festive outfit for New Years.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So who will have a chance to break out the dinner suit over the Christmas season? So far on my calendar are my own Christmas party, and my wife's work party, both of which are Black Tie Optional. Well, her work party is "As Formal as You'd Like it To Be," so I'm expecting to see everything from tuxedo t-shirts (and we have a bet on how many; I say four), to Black Tie, to ill-fitting, incorrect White Tie.

Is anyone planning to add any holiday themed elements to his rig? That baby Jesus on a chain suggestion from a couple weeks ago was pretty tasteful, I thought.

sftiger

Reaction score

So who will have a chance to break out the dinner suit over the Christmas season?  So far on my calendar are my own Christmas party, and my wife's work party, both of which are Black Tie Optional.  Well, her work party is "As Formal as You'd Like it To Be," so I'm expecting to see everything from tuxedo t-shirts (and we have a bet on how many; I say four), to Black Tie, to ill-fitting, incorrect White Tie.

Is anyone planning to add any holiday themed elements to his rig?  That baby Jesus on a chain suggestion from a couple weeks ago was pretty tasteful, I thought.

I have been seriously thinking for about a year now of ordering a few meters of my family tartan from Kinloch Anderson and having Luxire make up some tartan pants with a silk stripe down the side to go with my dinner jacket. I can't find (on SF or elsewhere) first-hand examples of people doing this, so I've been hesitant since it would be expensive and I'm sure I'd screw something up. I went to BB and they quoted me about $800 for them to do this for me, which was a little expensive for my budget.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been seriously thinking for about a year now of ordering a few meters of my family tartan from Kinloch Anderson and having Luxire make up some tartan pants with a silk stripe down the side to go with my dinner jacket. I can't find (on SF or elsewhere) first-hand examples of people doing this, so I've been hesitant since it would be expensive and I'm sure I'd screw something up. I went to BB and they quoted me about $800 for them to do this for me, which was a little expensive for my budget.

It's fairly common to wear trews with morning dress, but I've never heard of it with a DJ. Depending on the tartan, it could look quite good.

E TF

Reaction score

Do it the other way round, get a tartan DJ made.

(Image curtesy Voxsartoria's tumblr. Vox has a lovely plaid DJ himself)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads