• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sous VIde Thread

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it was seemingly suggested yesterday, and since it would be nice if a lot of the questions were consolidated, I figured we should just have a nice thread to discuss this 40-odd year old fad.

I don't really have any questions or comments at the moment, so instead I'll just link this sweet video from Joan "living sous-vida" Roca.

[VIDEO]
[/VIDEO]

EDIT: If someone could edit the capitalization in the title, that would be good.

Last edited:

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want RAZR pics of my setup? Tomorrow when there's light. LOL.
I have a Vacmaster VP215, and a Julabo circulator. I think an older version of this one.

Anyway, favorites I'll breakdown a bit.

Meat: Veal Breast (62/18 hours or 72/8 hours, depending on the texture I feel like having.) Lately I haven't really done much short-time, cook to warm through cooking for meat, other than things like chicken breasts and pork chops during the week.
Vegetables: Baby Turnips bagged with smoked turkey wing; fennel; potatoes
Compressed: Strawberries (esp. with ginger syrup)

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vegetables are my favorite thing to cook sous vide. Turnips and fennel are great, and I am a big fan of sous vide artichokes. :devil:

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh, and pears are awesome.

You ever had a fresh grape? Huh? I've had fresh *apples*. Never had a fresh *grape*. Never had a fresh *cherry*. Never had a fresh *pear*. Never *seen* a pear. Never saw a pear outside of a fruit stand.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going to do some pickled apples today. Should've gotten pears also.

Please try the red beet pickles "recipe" I've posted. If you have rose water (and raspberry vinegar helps, too).

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WHere is? I have all of these things.

It's just a "recipe".
Slice red beets, IIRC raw ones. Vacuum with rose water and raspberry vinegar for ten, yeah just ten, minutes. Enjoy. You've got to figure out the ratios, but I can tell you that it's really nice.
Other "recipes" are: slightly cooked carrots with ginger honey; cucumber with dill. All vacuumed, all ten minutes. I prefer the beets though.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's just a "recipe".
Slice red beets, IIRC raw ones. Vacuum with rose water and raspberry vinegar for ten, yeah just ten, minutes. Enjoy. You've got to figure out the ratios, but I can tell you that it's really nice.
Other "recipes" are: slightly cooked carrots with ginger honey; cucumber with dill. All vacuumed, all ten minutes. I prefer the beets though.

I don't have rosewater or raspberry vinegar. Was probably going to quick pickle some carrots today in a similar fashion though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads