• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The source of Drakes knit ties

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OT I guess but I have only ever bought one drake knit, I liked it a lot but it was absurdly long, like 64". I complained on SF and someone saw the post and bought it from me. He had to be about 6'11" to wear that tie. Or had a neck as thick as a paint can.

Was it Greg Ostertag?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Confirming my earlier post, I'd say the Rubi and KW knit ties I have are significantly different. Rubi is a looser weave, with bigger "holes" in the honeycomb of the knit. Sorry for not knowing the proper terminology. But it feels lighter. The KW tie has less open space.

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Courtesy of http://www.bespokemanblog.com/ (Some really fantastic articles on there!)

Edit: See how the handsewn spots are almost square, compare with KW whose a pretty much circles..

Quote:

Left - Brooks Brothers, Right - Sorley
I expanded my collection of silk knit ties and got two (green and orange) fromBrooks Brothers that were on sale. I immediately noticed the differences between the Sorley silk knit tie I picked up from The Armoury.
The ones from Brooks Brothers are noticeably thinner & lighter (made with less silk) and the grains are smaller (a tighter weave that makes them less spring-y). You get more out of a higher quality product and that is clearly reflected in its price. The Sorley's are a little less than twice the retail price of Brooks Brothers ($80, discounted to $40). I'm glad I got them on sale because I wouldn't pay full retail.
So what should you look for when buying silk knit ties? Don't go any slimmer than 2.25" in width (Brooks Brothers at 2.25", Sorley at 2.5") because it looks weird, at least to me. Look for larger grains in a loose weave that signify it was made with more silk and that it springs back when pulled from one end. The colors should also look vibrant. It's hard to illustrate these things but you'll know what I mean when you've picked one up.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score
I went to a sales event at the Drakes factory in London a couple of years ago, where Michael Drake told me that the he used the same supplier for his knit ties as Hermes.

I have one from Charvet that seems pretty much identical to the Drakes' one.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah my navy knit Drake's is pretty long- I just do a Phat Guido double knot when I wear it, though. Most complimented-on tie.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As some have said in this thread, vendors using the same supplier does not necessarily mean they have the same knit ties. And the same width/ weave/ length/ whatever you're using to infer from your personal collection of knit ties does not necessarily mean that two different vendors are using the same (or different) suppliers.

Knits fabrics are made on circular or horizontal knitting machines, and the different textural or color patterns you see are achieved by setting the machine to whatever is the necessary needle formation. This starts with the standard weave/ pearl stitch and then branches out from there. These machines aren't exclusive either, and a few vendors can have the same machines, but perhaps have different quality control processes. It's true, however, that there aren't that many knit tie suppliers in the world, but I suspect the number thrown around on StyleForum underestimates it.

Inferring who is using what suppliers from one's personal collection of knit ties is like inspecting your sweaters and thinking that everyone who makes a 30-gauge merino sweater must be using the same supplier.

Drake's uses a knit tie supplier in Germany, I believe. It's indeed a different weave than most knit ties you see. I've seen the same weave on Ralph Lauren knit ties, but I don't know if they use the same supplier.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As some have said in this thread, vendors using the same supplier does not necessarily mean they have the same knit ties. And the same width/ weave/ length/ whatever you're using to infer from your personal collection of knit ties does not necessarily mean that two different vendors are using the same (or different) suppliers.
Knits fabrics are made on circular or horizontal knitting machines, and the different textural or color patterns you see are achieved by setting the machine to whatever is the necessary needle formation. This starts with the standard weave/ pearl stitch and then branches out from there. These machines aren't exclusive either, and a few vendors can have the same machines, but perhaps have different quality control processes. It's true, however, that there aren't that many knit tie suppliers in the world, but I suspect the number thrown around on StyleForum underestimates it.
Inferring who is using what suppliers from one's personal collection of knit ties is like inspecting your sweaters and thinking that everyone who makes a 30-gauge merino sweater must be using the same supplier.
Drake's uses a knit tie supplier in Germany, I believe. It's indeed a different weave than most knit ties you see. I've seen the same weave on Ralph Lauren knit ties, but I don't know if they use the same supplier.

Thank you. I don't disagree with any of that. And I'm not interested in who supplies who per se -- I just want to find another source of knit ties of the same quality of Drakes', given that their colour and pattern selection is, of course, limited. Any leads on this German manufacturer?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Any leads on this German manufacturer?"

I don't know if they're exactly the same, but I've got quite a few silk knit ties by Ascot, a German tie manufacturer, which seem very, very similar to my Drake's silk knit.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Any leads on this German manufacturer?"
I don't know if they're exactly the same, but I've got quite a few silk knit ties by Ascot, a German tie manufacturer, which seem very, very similar to my Drake's silk knit.

You know, perhaps I'm imagining things here, but Ascot might well have been the brand of that Lisbon tie. It really rings a bell. Thank you! Now let's start the interwebz hunt for Ascot knits.

Edit: http://www.ascot.de/

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have quite a few knit ties from a wide variety of manufacturers/ brands - Lands End, Knottery, Saks 5th, Kilgour, Turnbull & Asser, Hermes, Ascot, Gallo, EG Capelli, RLBL and RLPL. I would say that there are marked differences in the weaves and constructions between brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads