The source of Drakes knit ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Aug 18, 2012.

1. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Was it Greg Ostertag?

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

3. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Which store in Portugal? I think I may have seen the same ties.

4. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

At least, my maths aren't the best, in most cases I'm sure it's over 50%.

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Confirming my earlier post, I'd say the Rubi and KW knit ties I have are significantly different. Rubi is a looser weave, with bigger "holes" in the honeycomb of the knit. Sorry for not knowing the proper terminology. But it feels lighter. The KW tie has less open space.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

6. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Courtesy of http://www.bespokemanblog.com/ (Some really fantastic articles on there!)

Edit: See how the handsewn spots are almost square, compare with KW whose a pretty much circles..

Quote:

7. E TF

E TF Senior member

I went to a sales event at the Drakes factory in London a couple of years ago, where Michael Drake told me that the he used the same supplier for his knit ties as Hermes.

I have one from Charvet that seems pretty much identical to the Drakes' one.

8. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Yeah my navy knit Drake's is pretty long- I just do a Phat Guido double knot when I wear it, though. Most complimented-on tie.

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

As some have said in this thread, vendors using the same supplier does not necessarily mean they have the same knit ties. And the same width/ weave/ length/ whatever you're using to infer from your personal collection of knit ties does not necessarily mean that two different vendors are using the same (or different) suppliers.

Knits fabrics are made on circular or horizontal knitting machines, and the different textural or color patterns you see are achieved by setting the machine to whatever is the necessary needle formation. This starts with the standard weave/ pearl stitch and then branches out from there. These machines aren't exclusive either, and a few vendors can have the same machines, but perhaps have different quality control processes. It's true, however, that there aren't that many knit tie suppliers in the world, but I suspect the number thrown around on StyleForum underestimates it.

Inferring who is using what suppliers from one's personal collection of knit ties is like inspecting your sweaters and thinking that everyone who makes a 30-gauge merino sweater must be using the same supplier.

Drake's uses a knit tie supplier in Germany, I believe. It's indeed a different weave than most knit ties you see. I've seen the same weave on Ralph Lauren knit ties, but I don't know if they use the same supplier.

10. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

El Corte Ingles in Lisbon (it's actually a Spanish department store that sells mid-market to basic luxury items).

11. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Thank you. I don't disagree with any of that. And I'm not interested in who supplies who per se -- I just want to find another source of knit ties of the same quality of Drakes', given that their colour and pattern selection is, of course, limited. Any leads on this German manufacturer?

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

"Any leads on this German manufacturer?"

I don't know if they're exactly the same, but I've got quite a few silk knit ties by Ascot, a German tie manufacturer, which seem very, very similar to my Drake's silk knit.

13. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

You know, perhaps I'm imagining things here, but Ascot might well have been the brand of that Lisbon tie. It really rings a bell. Thank you! Now let's start the interwebz hunt for Ascot knits.

Edit: http://www.ascot.de/

14. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I have quite a few knit ties from a wide variety of manufacturers/ brands - Lands End, Knottery, Saks 5th, Kilgour, Turnbull & Asser, Hermes, Ascot, Gallo, EG Capelli, RLBL and RLPL. I would say that there are marked differences in the weaves and constructions between brands.

15. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Which is crunchier? Hober or Wang?