• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shield: Final Season

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dexter. The first season can't be beat.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I am Netflixing The Wire. It is good, but not quite as good as its reviews, IMO.

crazy.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
crazy.gif

The reviews make it sound like every episode is as good as the best movie ever made. It doesn't live up to that, but I suppose it couldn't. Maybe the reviewers should have been a little more temperate.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
The reviews make it sound like every episode is as good as the best movie ever made. It doesn't live up to that, but I suppose it couldn't. Maybe the reviewers should have been a little more temperate.

The format isn't conductive to the same greatness as magnificent movies IMHO. But as far as the genre is concerned, the Wire is pretty much among the finest series I've seen and it just builds layers upon layers as it proceeds, easily avoiding the pitfalls of serialization.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
The format isn't conductive to the same greatness as magnificent movies IMHO. But as far as the genre is concerned, the Wire is pretty much among the finest series I've seen and it just builds layers upon layers as it proceeds, easily avoiding the pitfalls of serialization.

I am only halfway through Season 2, so perhaps my admiration will give way to the proper idolatry in time.

I have to say, the accents bother me. This has always been a sticking point of mine, but I have a good ear for regional accents, and it annoys me when, on screen, they don't match up. For instance, Quiz Show failed for me just because Rob Morrow's Massachussets accent was so laughably bad.

Almost no one on The Wire has a true Baltimore/Delaware Valley accent. Major Valchek is the only one who gets it right. The others don't even try. These are blue collar guys, especially the dock workers, and they don't sound right. Some of them even have NY accents, which is really irritating.

Many UK/Irish actors are quite good at mimicking American accents, but Dominic West is not one of them. I can tell does not belong there every time he opens his mouth.

bc78

Reaction score
I am only halfway through Season 2, so perhaps my admiration will give way to the proper idolatry in time.

Seasons 3 and 4 are the best in my opinion. After season 4 my admiration gave way to idolatry.

Originally Posted by iammatt
Just watched the first few seasons. It is ruining my marriage. Now we no longer ********, we just watch The Shield.
frown.gif

Great show. The final season might be the best I've ever seen.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend recommended the brotherhood but he has only seen the first season. Since the show was canceled I'm just afraid it ends too abruptly, have you see all three seasons?

I'm watching the first OZ season and might also try Breaking bad. What about six feet under? I watched the first season a few yrs ago and it was pretty good, I just don't know if it retains it's rhythm over the whole series.

Mad Men just doesn't attract me, advertising, natty suits and the 60s, naaah. I'm not that much into period pieces.

You could give Battlestar Galactica a try if you like scifi. I thought it was a great show overall, but the last episode was met with mixed reviews.

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I like Breaking Bad a lot. I didn't think I'd like Mad Men, but I ended just really getting into it. I'd recommend Deadwood or Rome, although they are period pieces. I've heard good things about the Wire.

Breaking Bad and Mad Men are both exceptional. Both can be a bit slow but are still really rewarding. Recently started watching Rescue Me. Not great at drama, but an excellent comedy.

I've seen Rome. Good first season, never finished the second one (it sucked). Watch the first one since it is self-contained.

Deadwood was cancelled too, right? No good ending= ;(

I'd recommend Deadwood despite the lack of closure. Some of the best dialogue and acting you'll ever find.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Many UK/Irish actors are quite good at mimicking American accents, but Dominic West is not one of them. I can tell does not belong there every time he opens his mouth.

I'm not going to claim to have a good ear for accents, but Dominic West lets his accent pop out all the time. Idris Elba however, I did not pick up on and found out later he was from the UK.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i like the wire very much but find the idolatry undeserved.

I have to say, the accents bother me. This has always been a sticking point of mine, but I have a good ear for regional accents, and it annoys me when, on screen, they don't match up. For instance, Quiz Show failed for me just because Rob Morrow's Massachussets accent was so laughably bad.

Almost no one on The Wire has a true Baltimore/Delaware Valley accent. Major Valchek is the only one who gets it right. The others don't even try. These are blue collar guys, especially the dock workers, and they don't sound right. Some of them even have NY accents, which is really irritating.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Agree wholeheartedly, though I'm not familiar with Baltimore accents this phenomenon kills so many movies for me, especially those set in Texas.

I second the recs for Deadwood and Breaking Bad, especially Deadwood. It was unlike any other show and I'm still pissed it's gone. Violence, sex, drugs, corruption, fantastical gutter-mouth cowboy Shakespeare dialogue. As for Six Feet Under, I thought the best parts of that show were as good as anything on TV. It was incredibly familiar to me - the world seemed to be half inhabited by people I know. The series as a whole, though, is inconsistent and there are some very annoying episodes.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Breaking bad is quite nice, I watched the first season yesterday. Best part is the main char's wife wondering what capt cook (his ex student/associate) mean when he states on his homepage he loves MILFs . "What"s a MILF??"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads