• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saturninus

Reaction score
I came to the cordovan game long after the golden age of exotic shell colors had come to and end. I see all these beautiful whiskey and ravello shell shoes, and I am eager to find a way to find a pair of my own. I was looking for shoe makers who still regularly make shoes in the lighter shell colors, and I can only find Carmina and Rancourt.

Rancourt's "Caramel" color looks reasonably close to whiskey:

Do you think I'd be happy with this as an alternative to whiskey? Or is this just not the same as the exotic colors of ancient lore?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I came to the cordovan game long after the golden age of exotic shell colors had come to and end. I see all these beautiful whiskey and ravello shell shoes, and I am eager to find a way to find a pair of my own. I was looking for shoe makers who still regularly make shoes in the lighter shell colors, and I can only find Carmina and Rancourt.

Rancourt's "Caramel" color looks reasonably close to whiskey:

Do you think I'd be happy with this as an alternative to whiskey? Or is this just not the same as the exotic colors of ancient lore?

don't fret.

I actually don't think it's that much harder to purchase "rare" shell colors than it was 5 or 6 years ago, bc of the # of makers you can order from. Alden is next to impossible but Carmina, EB, Rider - you see cool stuff pop in from there frequently. and if you go to Meermin and Trickers you can get all sorts of crazy colors from non Horween shell producers. The brown that C&J uses for RL and BB might be my favorite color of all and those are not super hard to find.

I have Rancourt x BB Venetian loafers in "tan" shell cordovan and that is close to whiskey.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I miss my #8 Florsheim LWB dearly. The only reason I sold them is because the fit wasn't quite right.

Yes, the fit is individual - my Florsheims fit much better than any barrie-lasted shoe ever could.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Trust me when I say these words: There is Life outside of Alden exotics...

I own/have owned some of the more rare Alden cordovan models, and I enjoy and cherish them. (As you know)

However, there is a whole wide world of artisans and craftsmen all over the world who often rival and sometimes surpass Alden.

There is good reason why many of the gentlemen here on SF have ventured outside of Aldenland and found great satisfaction.

Again, nothing against Alden at all. I am a dyed in the wool AldenFan.

Nevertheless, EVERY maker has strengths and weaknesses and we ought to strive to appreciate each maker for who and what they are.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Saturninus

Reaction score
Carmina has emerged has my goto source for non-black / non-burgundy source of horween shell. And I'm in the process of getting something in brown from C&J.

But light shades are elusive. I'll have to wait until Carmina offers an MTO group in model that I like, or go for that rancourt in Caramel

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the balance of the LWB patterns from Carmina and EB. The C&J pattern is better, but still not as nice as the Alden pattern. AE's MacNeil pattern is terrible, but they improved it somewhat with the MacNeil 2.0.

Florsheim's LWB is the granddaddy, and it's the best. Alden's is most similar to it, IMO.

I think it comes down to personal preference, I personally find the Alden LWB clownish even in D width. Few months back I got my hands on fabled Alden whiskey LWB( seconds from shoemart) but didn't like them at all compared to my Macneil and returned those..

Though I really like the NST pattern from Alden, it's better than what a lot of other makers do...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance of getting more pics of the Osloer???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads