• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slowly but surely! The SF peeps have been so helpful.

Rome wasn't built in a day :)

It also helps you seem to have a great eye when choosing which used pieces to pick.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It also helps you seem to have a great eye when choosing which used pieces to pick.
That was trial and error with lots of learning from the thrift team.

My WAYWT posts are reflection of that.

So I guess these used to be burgundy then became chocolate brown? AE Leeds never came brown.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was trial and error with lots of learning from the thrift team.

My WAYWT posts are reflection of that.

So I guess these used to be burgundy then became chocolate brown? AE Leeds never came brown.

Nice, that makes them even more special.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would shells be good for winter wear, or don't even consider it? I'm more worried about the salt than the cold.
Ok, so those are definitely burgundy and not brown from your pics. They may have used brown polish on them though. David at vcleat.com has excellent tutorials on stripping three old polish and restoring the original beauty if you feel so inclined. I personally see nothing wrong wearing as is with current patina.
Second, glad you found shell, but I hope you got a good price because you're on borrowed time with the cracking. Love them and wear them, but know one day that eyelet tab will spilt.
Third. Yes, they can be used in the snow, but be prepared to spend time brushing and cleaning then properly. Shell is extremely resilient if cared for, and extremely fragile if not. Having a double leather sole you may not enjoy them on the ice though...

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would shells be good for winter wear, or don't even consider it? I'm more worried about the salt than the cold.

That’s a very individual thing I find. The most important thing is to clean any salt off as quickly as possible I suppose.

For me, I choose to not wear my shell in adverse weather. Others do the opposite.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so those are definitely burgundy and not brown from your pics. They may have used brown polish on them though. David at vcleat.com has excellent tutorials on stripping three old polish and restoring the original beauty if you feel so inclined. I personally see nothing wrong wearing as is with current patina.
Second, glad you found shell, but I hope you got a good price because you're on borrowed time with the cracking. Love them and wear them, but know one day that eyelet tab will spilt.
Third. Yes, they can be used in the snow, but be prepared to spend time brushing and cleaning then properly. Shell is extremely resilient if cared for, and extremely fragile if not. Having a double leather sole you may not enjoy them on the ice though...

I did get it for a fair price die to the cracking and will get it evaluated by my cobbler.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did get it for a fair price die to the cracking and will get it evaluated by my cobbler.
Good to hear on price. Shell just is a different animal than calf.
If you do decide to pull off the years of polish you may find a world of depth currently hidden. My advice is to avoid colored polish as much as possible. Get some good leather conditioner like bick 4 and really hydrate them. Then brush brush brush.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear on price. Shell just is a different animal than calf.
If you do decide to pull off the years of polish you may find a world of depth currently hidden. My advice is to avoid colored polish as much as possible. Get some good leather conditioner like bick 4 and really hydrate them. Then brush brush brush.

Thanks! I'm conflicted if I should strip it or not haha. I like how brown it is, but burgundy mmm...

I have AE leather conditioner and cleaner. Is that sufficient?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm conflicted if I should strip it or not haha. I like how brown it is, but burgundy mmm...

I have AE leather conditioner and cleaner. Is that sufficient?
Is it the leather lotion or the older conditioner/cleaner? That'll be good to get moisture, but it won't have that extra bit of shine to it. The leather lotion gives a very dull finish as it's more for cxl. I'd eventually upgrade just to really bring out the best. VSC is another option, but bick has given me great results.

So, congrats on your first shell. What's your next shell purchase? :p

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it the leather lotion or the older conditioner/cleaner? That'll be good to get moisture, but it won't have that extra bit of shine to it. The leather lotion gives a very dull finish as it's more for cxl. I'd eventually upgrade just to really bring out the best. VSC is another option, but bick has given me great results.

So, congrats on your first shell. What's your next shell purchase? :p

I have both AE products you mentioned. There's a local shop that sells Saphir shell cordovan polish for $18CAD so might stop by there after my cobbler fixes the crack.

Thanks! I fluked out on this one.I've been watching some boots come in eBay, but they're all Alden boots. There's a Meermin but might be too big at 7.5UK when I'm 7.5/8D in AEs

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have both AE products you mentioned. There's a local shop that sells Saphir shell cordovan polish for $18CAD so might stop by there after my cobbler fixes the crack.

I've been watching some boots come in eBay, but they're all Alden boots. There's a Meermin but might be too big at 7.5UK when I'm 7.5/8D in AEs
That Meermin is a full size too big for sure.
Keep an eye on the vintage shoe thread. Your size ought to come up reasonably often. There's some top notch info there about shell, that can be had for very reasonable prices. There's also a few Canadians, so they can help you know where to look as well.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does it say 'Non-Alden'? Is there Alden hate I'm not understanding?

Never owned their stuff, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics