1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

There was a recent GMTO on these, so very likely.

2. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Senior member

3. leisurewear

leisurewear Senior member

Acquired my third pair of shells recently and rocking them today. Carmina Cognac Cordovan Norwegian Split Toe on the Forest last.

Love the stitching on this shoe
    [​IMG]

Glamour pic: A little darker than usual since picture is not too long after cleaning.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017 at 8:20 AM
  4. stitchedsoles

stitchedsoles Member

Hey guys I'm pretty much a lurker here but I'm quite active over on /r/goodyearwelt on Reddit (I'm UUBBBRR over there). Anyways, I've been working with Ron from Rider Boot to set up a shell NST boot GMTO. After lusting over Alden's shell NSTs and not wanting to drop several grand from a specific store to have a crack at a non color 8 pair I started talking with Ron about setting up an order. We got a pattern together and quite a few shell options as well as glazed and waxed flesh horse front.

So, if you've been looking for an NST boot, you won't find a better deal with more options than this. The details are as follows:

• Album with details
    • Model - NST Boot
    • Last - 93 Last. Ron describes this as a D+ last. Still TTS but a bit wide. He recommended sticking with you brannock size or 1/2 up from Alden Barrie
    • Leather - Shell Cordovan (all Horween, except for black which is Cloe), Glazed Horsefront in Natural or Tan, Waxed Flesh Horsefront in Black or Dark Brown (pictures of some in a different color)
    • Edge Dressing - Natural or Tinted to match the upper
    • Upper Stitching - Natural or Tinted to match the upper
    • Welt - Flat or Storm (storm welt is cut by hand so a little higher than most and usually not 100% consistent)
    • Sole - Vibram Lug (pictured on the sample boots), Vibram Fighter (basically the Vibram 430), Sestriere (Riders version of Dainite), Double leather, and Crepe
    • Eyelets - 6 eyelet + 3 speed hooks as pictured on the sample (non-configurable)
    • Sizing - 6.5 - 14 (Widths are available if you contact Ron about it first)
    • Cost - 100% prepaid, $750 for Shell, $300 for Horsefront (a smoking deal for a stitched apron boot like this)
    • Turnaround - 60 days from placing the order
    Due to the factory using shell cordovan as they have it if you want a shell boot email me immediately with your information filled out appropriately on the spreadsheet linked below and I will forward that to Ron accordingly and he will email you an invoice. Below are the numbers that Ron gave me for availability today. Horsefront boots will be ordered and submitted all at once.

• Dk Brw = 1 pair
    • Bourbon = 8 pair
    • Calvados = 18 pair
    • Col #4 = 4 pair
    • Col. #8 = 2 pair
    • Dk Green = 8 pair
    • Violet = 2 pair
    • Black = not a problem
    Spreadsheet to fill out

Once completed send that in an email to me at: riderbootgmto (at) gmail (dot) com

I will reply to your email once I've forwarded the information to Ron. If you don't get that confirmation from me after a couple days DM me here or on Reddit and I'll investigate. Link to the Reddit thread if interested.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017 at 9:08 AM
  5. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I had a cheap pair NST shoes I wore during Midwest winters. I didn't mind walking in snow and rain. I wonder how shell iteration would fair in a less than perfect weather?

6. stitchedsoles

stitchedsoles Member

Shell is a pretty resilient leather. As long as your fine with water spots I'm sure they'd hold up great. There's also the more budget friendly horse front options, but I figured most people would be interested in the shell choices.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I've never heard of calvados. Do you have an image of that color? I did see the Reddit thread. Pretty tempting. I would be in if it weren't 100% up front. I've got too many preorders out as it is, and just bought a unplanned pair of Lobbs. :(

8. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Color 4 NSTs are mighty tempting... but I'm pretty sure my wife would leave me if I bought a third pair of shell boots this month.

9. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Well-Known Member

X-posting from the AE thread. Received a pair of natty shell Warwick single monks. My favorite purchase so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

Alright I'll play.

IMG_2507.JPG IMG_9224.JPG IMG_9253.JPG IMG_0722.JPG

Nope not Vass either.
    IMG_2967.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017 at 7:10 AM
    mdubs and naspratt like this.
  11. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

What color shell is that on the third pair? Looks like it could be mahogany or color 4.

12. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

These look pretty dark for natural

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Agree, some of the recent AE natural shell offerings seem quite a bit darker than usual.

14. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Yeah, those are interestingly dark compared to my Natty Shells from 2-3 years back... Still a lovely shoe obviously.

-Mike

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

IMG_6398.JPG IMG_4432.JPG To compare, these are my new natty shell Daltons compared with a pair I had to return a few years ago due to sizing. I realize the photo quality is very different. To be honest though now that I look at them, maybe it's not as bi a difference as I thought. I'll try to get some sunlight pics of the new pair tomorrow.

Edit: the image attaching occurs in reverse for me with this new setup. First pic is the old pair.