• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The quest for 500 $ dress shoes

ToSmaXIV

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum, but I have been watching it closely for quite some time now and appreciate all the advice given here.

However I have one question, and believe me when I say I have been trough all the threads before: I am looking for a pair of 500$ dress shoes (which after tax in NY, possible shipping costs and topys at the cobbler should be 600$).

Seems like a simple question, yet it is not. I want to try the shoes before I buy them, they need to be available fast (within 2 weeks, so Meermin won't do, same thing for Pediwear since their list of C&J is booked until January 2015), I don't want to buy seconds, or anything from Ebay and they need to be the best I can get for the price.

When it comes to styles I like C&J but they come at 635 + tax + cobbler + shoe trees = 750 $ which is above my budget since I need at least two pairs (one black, one brown). I hate Allen Edmonds and cannot get over that (I am from Europe, American dress shoes aesthetics just do not appeal to me). I have considered AE seconds even though I do not like the style but he basic Park Ave are almost never discounted enough for me to consider them a bargain.

So here it is: where can I get the best possible black (and brown) leather cap toe good year welted oxfords in the US ? I live in Manhattan if that can help, and my maximum budget is 650 dollars for the shoes, tax, the shoe trees and the topys at the cobbler.

Thank you in advance, I would be eternally grateful if one of you finds an answer.

Best regards to all,

Tosma

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden should fit the bill.

I personally have grown to dislike Aldens due to the higher prices. This is why I have sold all of my non-shell pairs. Many other great brands from England, especially given the VAT discount if you're outside the UK.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everybody, 

I am new to this forum, but I have been watching it closely for quite some time now and appreciate all the advice given here. 

However I have one question, and believe me when I say I have been trough all the threads before: I am looking for a pair of 500$ dress shoes (which after tax in NY, possible shipping costs and topys at the cobbler should be 600$).

Seems like a simple question, yet it is not. I want to try the shoes before I buy them, they need to be available fast (within 2 weeks, so Meermin won't do, same thing for Pediwear since their list of C&J is booked until January 2015), I don't want to buy seconds, or anything from Ebay and they need to be the best I can get for the price.

When it comes to styles I like C&J but they come at 635 + tax + cobbler + shoe trees = 750  $ which is above my budget since I need at least two pairs (one black, one brown). I hate Allen Edmonds and cannot get over that (I am from Europe, American dress shoes aesthetics just do not appeal to me). I have considered AE seconds even though I do not like the style but he basic Park Ave are almost never discounted enough for me to consider them a bargain.

So here it is: where can I get the best possible black (and brown) leather cap toe good year welted oxfords in the US ? I live in Manhattan if that can help, and my maximum budget is 650 dollars for the shoes, tax, the shoe trees and the topys at the cobbler.

Thank you in advance, I would be eternally grateful if one of you finds an answer. 

Best regards to all, 

Tosma

Try Peal and Co, from Brooks Brothers on Sale. They would come close to your budget.

coop86

Reaction score
Paul Stuart has some shoes starting at $488 and a couple more in the mid $500s

MDeKelver

Reaction score
Alfred Sargents from No Man Walks Alone (US) or A Fine Pair of Shoes (UK, but free lasted trees and shipping).

I have had great C&J service from Robert Old UK. They will initially say that the shoes are backorder, but then the order is always filled in a day.

Patek14

Reaction score
If you despise American shoes for some reason, then just buy loake 1880. that's the "AE of England". if your budget maxes at ~500 for the shoes because you need 2, I am assuming you don't have an existing array of mid-tier shoes and you are probably spending more than you can afford. if you can't comfortable buy a pair for each day of the week for a long-term rotation I would ratchet down the price.

loake 1880 and allen Edmonds are good 'starter' shoes

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member